Tanker Drivers' offer worth 14% (over two years)

Latest news 18/6/08.

The deal aimed at ending the bitter fuel tanker drivers’ dispute is worth around 14% over two years.

Hundreds of members of the Unite union will soon start voting on whether to accept the offer, which was worked out during all-day talks.

The agreement between union leaders and managers from two haulage companies which deliver fuel to Shell garages has averted further industrial action planned for this weekend.

The drivers, employed by Hoyer and Suckling, staged a four-day strike which ended at 6am on Tuesday, causing fuel shortages in parts of the UK.

It is believed that the deal is worth 9% in year one and a further 5% in year two and will take the drivers’ basic pay to around £36,000.

But with overtime and other payments, their average earnings is expected to be almost £42,000 by the end of the second year, it is believed.

The basic pay will be for a 48-hour week. Union officials had pointed out that the drivers were on a basic wage of £32,000 for a 37-hour week in 1992.

Voting on the deal is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

They have still to vote on this…

Geezzussss! They’d be mad to turn it down!

I’m off to find that old dusty ADR certificate, get my ■■■ to Grangemouth and get a job with the “greedy”/lucky sods!!!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Yes, done that tonight … & i was really happy till i got into the meeting.

Union guy having to explain the in’s & out’s of the FINAL OFFER not AGREEMENT etc etc. Now I’m new to this situation & the job, so I’m hoping that the loud voices ( which was all I could here ) were making it feel like everyone was against it. But I have come home fearing the worst :frowning:

I think this lot are going to reject it■■?

The fact’s 9% now on all rates & back dated till January £34662 pa basic for 2008
From Jan 2009 a further 5% on all rates = £36395pa basic

The Goverment TOLD SHELL to screw the driver’s 6.9% max… they were hoping it would turn nasty so they could enforce the New Powers
Making us through an act of Parliment An ESSENTIAL workforce making it illegal for us to strike.

So what’s there to argue about■■?

what i heard

" why have you come back with a 2 year deal we wanted a 1year deal "
" i wanted 36000 no less "
" Stanlow wanted £38000 & would settle for £36000"
" Stanlow text here look’s like we’re rejecting it "
" we’ll lose £2000 of that next year, if we have to do 10 hour night’s… f*** em "

I’m really just hoping that they were a minority & were just making the noise feel like a majority.

There are a lot of old guy’s there who probably haven’t got mortgage’s & really seem to be up for the fight.

Finger’s crossed they don’t get there way. :imp:

ps he was a lucky boy BBC NEWS | UK | England | Tanker fire causes M4 delays

the greedy ■■■■■■■■■

i know they are “driving around with a bomb” or so they say but if some of them didnt drive like nob eds they wouldnt have a bomb.

i think it is disgusting that they are talking of refusing to accept an offer like that. do they not realise they are earning twice as much as an infantry soldier that is in afghanistan that is being shot at almost 24/7 where most of the country that he is in wants to kill him?

someone should get hold of these mother ■■■■■■■ and bang thier heads together!

i’m sick of hearing about thier troubles and the fact they are only earning £34000!

■■■■■!

sorry, rant over

Giblsa:
the greedy [zb].

i think it is disgusting that they are talking of refusing to accept an offer like that. do they not realise they are earning twice as much as an infantry soldier that is in afghanistan that is being shot at almost 24/7 where most of the country that he is in wants to kill him

sorry, rant over

i’d agree with some of that :wink: but over 50% of us are x force’s ( been there done that ) the last 3 guy’s were in iraq less than 12 - 24 month’s ago. ( doesn’t make it right tho ) but I’ve said before some people work bloody hard for the minimum wage others do [zb] all for 6 figure salaries, it’s not fair but that’s life

Hoyer have a policy of advertising in the Force’s newspaper’s & sponsoring there retraining.

And I was not moaning about it, I’m not a ■■■■ & if anyone drive’s these round irresponsibly, they need there head looking at.

To be fair to Hoyer, our tacho’s are annalysed for speed’s & distance & it would only be a matter of time before we were on a disciplinary.

double post

wills:
i’d agree with some of that :wink: but over 50% of us are x force’s ( been there done that ) the last 3 guy’s were in iraq less than 12 - 24 month’s ago.

Hoyer have a policy of advertising in the Force’s newspaper’s & sponsoring there retraining.

if most of them are ex forces surely they would be happy with a 3.2% pay rise like they used to get in the forces then? :wink: :wink:

i am all for people getting a fair wage but turning down of an offer of 9% back dated until january and then a further 5% next year. they must be ■■■■■■ on self importance if they refuse that!

how many on here would jump at the chance of a pay rise like that?

the biggest i have ever known since i’ve been in the forces was about 6% but they also put up accomodation by about 10% and took away our travel warrants if you had been in over 7 years!

I reckon they shouldn’t accept less than £42000 for a 48 hour week with a ban on overtime. If they do overtime as standard then less drivers will be required throughout the workforce.
Sticking it out for £42000 could set a presedent for other hauliers to adhere to.
After all everything is going up in the shops week by week. So they need a good deal now because none of us know how expensive things will be in a few years time.
I don’t believe they are any better than the rest of us just because they are carrying a bomb as they put it. Any of us can sit a test and get an ADR ticket and other hauliers will know this. That’s why i think it could set a presedent for pay throughout the industry.
As for the comment about soldiers pay i agree it’s bloody disgusting.

Whatever people seem to earn they tend to live to there means…as I’ve said a lot of us newbies are more than happy with the money we started on!!!

Some of the older one’s & the long serving one’s are in the majority… hopefully it was all just bravardo!!! & they’ll vote yes… I bloody well hope so…

limeyphil:
I don’t believe they are any better than the rest of us just because they are carrying a bomb as they put it. Any of us can sit a test and get an ADR ticket and other hauliers will know this. .

if you have read some of my other post’s…what your saying above is spot on.

There really is a hell of a lot more to this job than the ADR & the load being explosive

wills:

limeyphil:
I don’t believe they are any better than the rest of us just because they are carrying a bomb as they put it. Any of us can sit a test and get an ADR ticket and other hauliers will know this. .

if you have read some of my other post’s…what your saying above is spot on.

There really is a hell of a lot more to this job than the ADR & the load being explosive

I have a mate on tanks and he agrees as well. He also says there is a lot more to it. For one thing and not the only thing i’m sure “mountains of paperwork.”

wills:
Whatever people seem to earn they tend to live to there means…as I’ve said a lot of us newbies are more than happy with the money we started on!!!

Some of the older one’s & the long serving one’s are in the majority… hopefully it was all just bravado!!!

I agree with what you said about living to their means. Everyone does it. It’s just that as everything is going up in price nobody else is getting pay rises like that.

At the end of the day the government need to save some money some where. I can thing of three places.

Iraq, if we shut the door behind us on the way out and leave them to it, it would save a fortune,

Afghanistan the same as Iraq

And

stop letting immigrants in, or rather let them in but they cant claim any form of benefit for at least 7 years and they have to have had a job for all 7 of those before they can claim anything. By that time they will have a job and can manage on their own so they don’t need benefits or they have got ■■■■■■ off with the way the government runs this hole of a country and ■■■■ off home again!

In the next election I am voting BNP. I’m sick of this country getting ■■■■ on from everywhere and doing nothing to defend its shores that our granddads (and some dads I guess) fought to protect so hard and gave up so much. then what do we do, we open our doors to everyman and his dog (but not the kids cos they can stay in their home country and get money for that) we practically invade two countries on the other side of the world that is costing many lives and a fortune in taxpayers money but the British tax payer struggles to get by!

Sorry for going off topic but that’s how I feel today.

As for limeyphil’s comments…

I hope it does improve the pay for all the drivers of Britain but it won’t will it? It might help the case of the big companies drivers but what about the 5 man operation that runs from a small yard down the road or the O/D’s, do you think they will clear £38000 every year they way the fuel costs are spiralling. As for the small set ups their boss won’t be able to offer them a pay rise of 14%, it will ■■■■■■■ the company especially the way the industry is going. I think this country is in for a very big fall soon (I hope to god I’m wrong) but we will all be on the bones of our arses before it gets any better.

The problem all lies with the immigrants working here earning their money and none, or very very little, of the money is being put back into our economy. It is all being sent back to their country so they can build houses and hotels. If the money was spent in this country then we wouldn’t have this economic crisis that is just on the horizon. I have got images in my head of Britain in 12 months time like the pictures of Russia just before the iron curtain came down, queuing for 3 hours for a loaf of bread and then there is only the old one that everyone else has left cos its crap.

Lets hope it does improve and very soon for everyone’s sake

Giblsa:
The problem all lies with the immigrants working here earning their money and none, or very very little, of the money is being put back into our economy. It is all being sent back to their country so they can build houses and hotels. If the money was spent in this country then we wouldn’t have this economic crisis that is just on the horizon. I have got images in my head of Britain in 12 months time like the pictures of Russia just before the iron curtain came down, queuing for 3 hours for a loaf of bread and then there is only the old one that everyone else has left cos its crap.

Calm down dear!

The problem lies with basic economic cycles. Has your eyes and ears been shut? It global and not restricted to UK plc. :unamused:

The global problem has made matters worse but it’s the government that runs the country and this country was already going down the pan long before the global crisis started. Its the people with their eyes and ears open that can see that!

Giblsa!!

spot on mate!!

however the one thing that this or any govt needs to do is to get the idle layabouts who stay at home all day into work, wether they have to work at the minimum wage and then maybe topped up with benefits? if needed, otherwise the industry like farming ect will crumble if they loose the immigrants, just make the dolers doit, if they refuse or prat about ect no benefit at all. at the mo the hard working guy is paying twice, to support the immigrant that comes over and does the work, and paying for the guy to sit on his arse at home.

I,ve recently found out that my ex partner and her husband who is apparently disabled but I will not go there, earn more money off the state per week then me and my wife, I work at least 50 hours a week and my wife is a professionall senior nurse, we earn on average approx 55000 per annum… and my ex is getting more then this from the state?? something wrong me thinks!!

Look, tanker drivers have always been the best paid. In my early days it was impossible to get a start with the likes of Shell or Esso.

Why would you think that was? Because they had to have the very best drivers out there. They needed steady, intelligent men, not greasy spoon hot-heads. Their need for such men was because they were driving bombs, literally.

Their stance on pay today has nothing to do with greed. They, like you and me, are entitled to maintain their position in the job market.

the offer has formally been accepted :smiley: hallabloodyluja

Well done to them. I would always support any action designed to increase wages for any driver in any part of the industry.

cant see hoyer red and blue fleets getting a rise like that, they are checking through drivers timesheets to find ways to save money so im told.

Personally, I imagine the Gubmint put pretty heavy pressure on Shell to cough up the money Hoyer need to pay the raise. Brown has never forgotten the damage done to Labour in the 2000 blockades.

I got a 13% rise this year so I’d be hypocritical if I said the pay rise was excessive.

Well good luck to all those who did ok out of this!

Anyone know if there are any vacancies in Essex for tanker drivers■■?
If you can give me a steer, I would be so greatful.
Cheers!