Hoyer BP Contract

Had a driving assessment, written test followed by interview for Hoyer at the Kingsbury terminal on the BP contract last week, what a complete waste of time that was, i didn’t know what the money was as its not stated anywhere on the internet, presuming it to be a good wage, how wrong was i. Really wanted to get into the fuel industry for the money and i’ve not done it before so don’t have the PDP, i’ve done 8 months on the LNG tankers previously but the money is not that good considering your collecting and driving an extremely dangerous load on the roads. The driving assessment went well then the test which i thought was quite hard and didn’t finish it, you had half hour to complete which went by in a flash, then an interrogation interview by two people followed by what the wages were, £27,000 basic, i said if i had known that i would not have even applied, they told me the fuel industry doesn’t pay how it used to and that a competitor of there’s pays even less, i said well i shan’t waste any more of my time and made a sharp exit!!

Did you just leave it at that or did you get any more detail?

Such as is the basic 8 hours per day? 10 hours per day? How many hours per week or per block of 4 days if it’s 4 on 4 off? What’s the overtime rate? Are there bonuses?

27k seems low for fuel but it’s a shame if you just walked away at face value and didn’t get anymore detail seeing as every company seems to be poor basic but the potential with bonuses, tax free allowances, and a bit of overtime can bump it up to something not too bad.

I’d have walked away too. Rowley correctly points out that it may have been for 8 hours etc, but my experience tells me that if a driver is earning eg 50k plus despite however many hours he/she works then the Co will tell interviewees that £50k is the benchmark figure. On that basis I’d say that £27k is pretty much the ceiling.

Yet another example of a smart arse Co thinking that it can Hoover all the work up by quoting ridiculously low rates to get the work and then relying on drivers stupidity to accept ■■■■ poor wages.

the maoster:
I’d have walked away too. Rowley correctly points out that it may have been for 8 hours etc, but my experience tells me that if a driver is earning eg 50k plus despite however many hours he/she works then the Co will tell interviewees that £50k is the benchmark figure. On that basis I’d say that £27k is pretty much the ceiling.

Yet another example of a smart arse Co thinking that it can Hoover all the work up by quoting ridiculously low rates to get the work and then relying on drivers stupidity to accept ■■■■ poor wages.

Sounds about right.

Rowley010:

Such as is the basic 8 hours per day? 10 hours per day? How many hours per week or per block of 4 days if it’s 4 on 4 off? What’s the overtime rate? Are there bonuses?

27k seems low for fuel but it’s a shame if you just walked away at face value and didn’t get anymore detail seeing as every company seems to be poor basic but the potential with bonuses, tax free allowances, and a bit of overtime can bump it up to something not too bad.

That figure will be for basic pay of 133 hours per month.

To be honest i was that shocked at the basic wage of £27,000 i didn’t ask about the hours etc, i just wanted to get out of there, didn’t want to waste any more of my time, she did say though that you would be very lucky if you earned up to £35,000 and that’s with lots of overtime, i said i wouldn’t work for that even to use Hoyer to get the fuel delivery experience and use them as a stepping stone to join another company for better money, she said well i appreciate your honesty and will pass it on.

You did the right thing in my opinion. My basic is £27k up north on general haulage Mon-Fri, probably slightly longer hours but hauling mostly just pallets of parcels & supermarket crap without an ADR sticker in sight.

Are people really pulling fuel tankers for that? :open_mouth:

£27,000 basic, i said if i had known that i would not have even applied, they told me the fuel industry doesn’t pay how it used to and that a competitor of there’s pays even less, i said well i shan’t waste any more of my time and made a sharp exit!!
[/quote]
That’s because Hoyer have put an unrealistic quote into BP to win the contract and now have to find the drivers for the rate they are offering.

You won’t be surprised to hear they are struggling to get drivers.

I have a couple of mates on tankers, they clear £1000 - £1200 per week.

bigjohn78:

Rowley010:

I saw a Hoyer advert last year that advertised a basic 32 hour week which is roughly approximate to what you’re saying per month.

If all you have to do for said £27k is 32 hours per week then I think the OP may have missed a decent opportunity.

Terry T:

bigjohn78:

Rowley010:

I saw a Hoyer advert last year that advertised a basic 32 hour week which is roughly approximate to what you’re saying per month.

If all you have to do for said £27k is 32 hours per week then I think the OP may have missed a decent opportunity.

not a ■■■■■■ chance. :grimacing:

27k would be based on doing 8hrs work, which is the minimum guarantee, you would be doing near enough 12hrs per shift.

rob22888:
You did the right thing in my opinion. My basic is £27k up north on general haulage Mon-Fri, probably slightly longer hours but hauling mostly just pallets of parcels & supermarket crap without an ADR sticker in sight.

Difine ‘up north’ thanks…

Just as some people think the north ends where you would draw a line across a map where the M62 is and Scotland starts above that line…

Goldfinger:

rob22888:

Difine ‘up north’ thanks…

Just as some people think the north ends where you would draw a line across a map where the M62 is and Scotland starts above that line…

Somewhere round Milton Keynes acording to most of the south east