Talking Furry Dangly Things

I was talking to an ‘older’ driver today at Ham Farm near Chichester as I was waiting to tip a load of trays and the smell of bull manure wasn’t coming from the fields

The first bit of bull crap was that you can now take 3 X 15 mins breaks as your 45; it changed in January apparently…

The next one was about the driver CPC, apparently the driver CPC is exactly the same as the proper CPC but it doesn’t cover the legal side of it and he knows this because he is good mates with a bloke who instructs this to drivers for one of the major companies. When asked what company he couldn’t remember… oh and he also has his CPC from when he run three trucks… doing hanging meat and marble out of Ireland.

The final bit of [zb] he abused my ears with before I finally lost it and told him to do one cos he is talking poop is

if you are delivering to somewhere like Tesco’s and on a bay and handed your keys in, you can’t count this as break as you are not in complete control of your vehicle, this came about cos I mentioned that if I have access to my cab while being tipped I will count it as break as I can jump on the bunk and pretty much do as I please, but if I have to sit in a drivers waiting room hell hole I will count it as other work as I don’t find it easy to relax in these places. another one of his mates did that and took his 45 on a bay while he was in the cab and went out after being tipped, had an accident and the police obviously checked his tacho and then went and asked Tesco’s if he had to hand in his keys, of course they said yes and his mate lost his licence because he hadn’t had a proper break as he wasn’t in control of the vehicle (he didn’t have the keys)!

I’m pretty surprised he wasn’t on the herald of free enterprise and was going to ask him but thought he wasn’t worthy of sharing the air I was breathing.

In fact I think he was an oxygen thief because ■■■■ like that shouldn’t have a right to it!

Just a bit of warning to all the younger/newbie drivers out there, don’t take anything you are told as truth unless you see it in writing or its from a very reliable source (aka trucknet/Vosa/traffic police) as obviously there are a lot of people out there that like audiences and will just waffle pure ■■■■ to you if you are willing to open your ears and chew the fat while waiting to tip

Thats 3 lies you were told today. The 1st one about the breaks is the REALLY old law, the 2nd is hes obviously that old hes got his CPC’s mixed up, a bit like handing my granny a phone and asking her to txt a message, the oldies cant quite grip new technology, and the 3rd well if your sat doing nothing, or doing anything away from the lorry which doesn’t involve LORRY work you can have as a break…

scottishcruiser:
Thats 3 lies you were told today.

i know that mate, i just wanted to warn others that there are P ricks out there like that, that will [zb] anyone that is listening, in fact you dont even need to listen, you just need to be near them!

scottishcruiser:
Thats 3 lies you were told today. The 1st one about the breaks is the REALLY old law, the 2nd is hes obviously that old hes got his CPC’s mixed up, a bit like handing my granny a phone and asking her to txt a message, the oldies cant quite grip new technology, and the 3rd well if your sat doing nothing, or doing anything away from the lorry which doesn’t involve LORRY work you can have as a break…

So you think that if I park my lorry and then I will go to dig holes in the ground or setting up the scaffolding, or cleaning the yard I am resting?

As far as I know, if you are on your break you can’t do ANY Work, no matter if it involves lorry or not.

How many people go to RDC’s or anywhere there un/loading and starting building work or anything other than something to do with there lorry?? I mean seriously I know some RDC’s take the ■■■■ with hours to tip a load and/or paperwork but to get a P/T job to fill the void whilst getting tipped is taking the p1ss, then again thats maybe why you have a polish and UK licence? Park up to tip, jump into another motor to do another job then come back later??

What I meant is if your not doing anything which is related to your job then you can class it as a break. Who really cares anyways? We all have diff views and some people are far more deeply in love with there views than others.

scottishcruiser:
How many people go to RDC’s or anywhere there un/loading and starting building work or anything other than something to do with there lorry?? I mean seriously I know some RDC’s take the ■■■■ with hours to tip a load and/or paperwork but to get a P/T job to fill the void whilst getting tipped is taking the p1ss, then again thats maybe why you have a polish and UK licence? Park up to tip, jump into another motor to do another job then come back later??

We all have diff views and some people are far more deeply in love with there views than others.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: (dont give them ideas because beside your hi viz to gain entry to a rdc you will need to carry your own shovel to fill in the potholes whilst waiting ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

By the way next thursday is CHRISTMAS DAY :laughing: :laughing:

scottishcruiser:

Erm i may be classed as an oldie but at the moment i am sat in my cab using a laptop, have 2 mobiles fitted (1 mine 1 firms) with handsfree earpiece ,got a tach trak for me hours tv/dvd/games player. satnav with tomtom truck on it etcetc. so we “oldies” can cope with "new technology or any other ology " . after all we probaly tested out all the protoypes before you “kids” were born. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Bull manure is spread by young bulls as well as old one’s :wink:
as for the rest of your post yep your correct :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

no offence intended just jokin

If your as old as my Granny then you should realy retire.

scottishcruiser:
If your as old as my Granny then you should realy retire.

i used to babysit for your great granma when your granny was a wee bairn :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the 2nd is hes obviously that old hes got his CPC’s mixed up

maybe he thinks that’s the start of the alphabet?

orys:

scottishcruiser:

So you think that if I park my lorry and then I will go to dig holes in the ground or setting up the scaffolding, or cleaning the yard I am resting?

As far as I know, if you are on your break you can’t do ANY Work, no matter if it involves lorry or not.

i must admit someone was telling me the other day, that the days of us sitting round for 2/3/4 hrs at a time at tesco were comming to a end , hed been told the idea was to go in, drop our trailer on bay, pick up one of theres, do a local drop, come back, pick up our now tipped trailer, and carry on with our drops, i laughed, yea right, but nothing really would suprise me these days, pound of flesh and all

tacho laws r mad these days i find it hard to get around, i no the main basics ie rest periods breaks etc etc

but i know loads of drivers who wil set the tacho to break, get out, strap the load down etc etc in theory this is illegal but how would vosa know that you havent actually just sat there?

its like i got back the yard when i was working had to have 45mins, so i washed the truck with the tacho on break am i stil breaking the law?

there r little ways to get around hours which i have posted above, me personally, if im due 15 mins at a place i wil strap my load down, put shipping cord through tautliner etc, i know its wrong but if i had to sit outside a place for 15 mins then do all the above i would never get home !

but on my tacho it wont shown av broken the law will it ?

mark h:
but i know loads of drivers who wil set the tacho to break, get out, strap the load down etc etc in theory this is illegal but how would vosa know that you havent actually just sat there?

By the letter of the law yes it is illegal as you are not on a break, you are working.

mark h:
its like i got back the yard when i was working had to have 45mins, so i washed the truck with the tacho on break am i stil breaking the law?

did the boss ask you to wash your truck, is it part of your weekly jobs to do it, if it is then yes you broke the law but if you did it out of boredom and just to pass the time then I can’t see a problem with it

mark h:
there r little ways to get around hours which i have posted above, me personally, if im due 15 mins at a place i wil strap my load down, put shipping cord through tautliner etc, i know its wrong but if i had to sit outside a place for 15 mins then do all the above i would never get home !

but on my tacho it won’t shown av broken the law will it ?

no it wont show you have broken the law but if you don’t have a few minutes of other work and working on tauts then they may well guess you have…unless the forky or warehouse bods do your curtains up for you :wink:

its one of those things, I think 99% of people do it/have done it/will do it to get home but yes it is against the law. You show me someone that says they have never left the mode switch in the wrong position by mistake :wink: and I will show you a liar!

Just like speeding…in error of course

Giblsa:

mark h:

By the letter of the law yes it is illegal as you are not on a break, you are working.

mark h:

did the boss ask you to wash your truck, is it part of your weekly jobs to do it, if it is then yes you broke the law but if you did it out of boredom and just to pass the time then I can’t see a problem with it

mark h:

but on my tacho it won’t shown av broken the law will it ?

no it wont show you have broken the law but if you don’t have a few minutes of other work and working on tauts then they may well guess you have…unless the forky or warehouse bods do your curtains up for you :wink:

its one of those things, I think 99% of people do it/have done it/will do it to get home but yes it is against the law. You show me someone that says they have never left the mode switch in the wrong position by mistake :wink: and I will show you a liar!

Just like speeding…in error of course

yes giblsa your are correct in what you say, very rare i have other work on my tachos as i was on containers for a while and i only had to open the rear doors, unless i was giving some 1 a hand etc then thast way i wil have it other work, as for washing the truck i used to do it as i liked my mtotor to be clean, we was told to wash them once a week i used to do mine 2-3 times a week !!

scottishcruiser:
What I meant is if your not doing anything which is related to your job then you can class it as a break.

Not quite correct, a break period must be use exclusively for recuperation so that would limit what you can do somewhat. On a rest period you can do what the hell you like but not break.

mark h:

They have been known to sit outside the gates and watch and that coupled with a tacho check when you leave would let them know. They might not even stop you on the way out and instead employ the silent check method where they check your records for that date and time later.

mark h:

[/quote]
I can. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: This is the definition of a break as far as the EU Driver’s Hours Regulations go.

‘break’ means any period during which a driver may not
carry out any driving or any other work and which is
used exclusively for recuperation

I feel that claiming washing the truck is recuperating would be stretching a point. :stuck_out_tongue:

You hear a lot of drivers claiming you have to be free to dispose of your time on a break when this isn’t true and in fact you are more restricted on a break then you are during a rest period so are in fact not free to dispose of youwish. During a rest period you are free to dispose of your time as you see fit, so if you want to run a marathon you can. On a break you must spend the time recuperating which kind of limits you to activities which can be carried out sitting or lying down and which don’t involve any effort, which rules out ■■■ unless you are my ex wife. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
[.

mark h:

‘break’ means any period during which a driver may not
carry out any driving or any other work and which is
used exclusively for recuperation

so if i get back on a friday and have worked 15hours for that day and am asked to wash my wagon, in theory am breaking the law? cant see that goin down well with a boss personally,

boss " can ya give ya truck a wash?"

me " cnt am out of time "

i have never been asked like as i keep the truck clean but if vosa drove in the yard checks my tacho av done the 15 hours an am washin the wagon could i be done ?