Funny old Friday

On Friday I was sat on the A55 north wales having my break minding my own when a rigid pulled in to the layby and stopped in front of me…a guy jumped out and ran upto my cab and this is how the convo went-
Him-ey up pal what’s the crack with these tacho breaks
Me-what do you mean pal?
Him-I got my class 2 when I got made redundant 2 years ago but have never used it,boss man sent me out this morning because reg driver didn’t turn up.
Me-so you have a digi card in
Him-yeah,put it in when I left…at 6am (it’s now 13:45)
Me-have you had a break yet?
Him-no not yet don’t know how to do a break on the machine
Me-how many hour have you been driving
Him-about 6
Me-put it on break now for 45 mins and hope VOSA don’t pull you in
Him-how do I put it on break…

So I went and showed him how to put it on break in his tacho ect.

CPC’s all round lol

Hmmm, I wonder if he had done the (possibly) required Initial CPC qualification, or otherwise, the very nearly needed periodic CPC.

I did initial CPC, Learnt about tacho, most rules and regs on the job. There NEEDS to be something for newer drivers to learn all this. It should be part of your HGV test!

Where does it say he is a new driver ?He took his test two years ago.

The guy has not driven a commercial for a period of years for this reason he was not current and his skills have lapsed.I recently tried to use my old mums sewing machine I last used it 10 years ago,I simply couldnt do a simple job .Prince Charles crashed a plane on Tiree a long time ago because he hadnt been flying for a while.

Jamiemufu:
There NEEDS to be something for newer drivers to learn all this.

There is something already. All it requires is having the sense to Google ‘LGV drivers’ hours’ and take it from there.

alamcculloch:
The guy has not driven a commercial for a period of years for this reason he was not current and his skills have lapsed.I recently tried to use my old mums sewing machine I last used it 10 years ago,I simply couldnt do a simple job .Prince Charles crashed a plane on Tiree a long time ago because he hadnt been flying for a while.

What

Olog Hai:

Jamiemufu:
There NEEDS to be something for newer drivers to learn all this.

There is something already. All it requires is having the sense to Google ‘LGV drivers’ hours’ and take it from there.

No it needs to be part of the test. It needs to be taught and drilled into you by someone who knows what they are doing. You need to have the unit in front of you to really make it sink in. By doing it in a test environment, you can be taught what to do and what not to do.

Agreed Radar, the initial CPC is ■■■■, and is unfit for purpose. I was one of the first batch to do it, so it could have changed, but it in no way gave you any professional competence.

It contained very basic questions on tachographs such as 45 minutes for 4.5 hours, but very little of the more complex rules, and nothing on the WTD. They were far more worried about showing that you knew how to look for illegal immigrants or drugs packages.

The module 2 could be entirely dedicated to Driver’s Hours and WTD and a tachograph simulator for different types of machine.

F-reds:
Agreed Radar, the initial CPC is [zb], and is unfit for purpose. I was one of the first batch to do it, so it could have changed, but it in no way gave you any professional competence.

It contained very basic questions on tachographs such as 45 minutes for 4.5 hours, but very little of the more complex rules, and nothing on the WTD. They were far more worried about showing that you knew how to look for illegal immigrants or drugs packages.

The module 2 could be entirely dedicated to Driver’s Hours and WTD and a tachograph simulator for different types of machine.

My first day I had no idea how to use the tacho machines. Every driver I speak too seems to have a different way of doing things, not saying its bad as they were always very helpful when I asked them but it leaves me confused as to which way is legal. The biggest thing I’m finding that is screwing me over is the manual entries. The rest of the rules like driving time and duty time I’m slowly coming to grips with. I got a notebook now where I write all my times down in so its easier to keep track of.

He said he did his class 2 because it was free as part of his redundancy but had never actually used it until Friday.

Because the whole process is so rule-bound (and so easy to be fined or given points) it ought to be a part of the test.

Sumsmeister:
Because the whole process is so rule-bound (and so easy to be fined or given points) it ought to be a part of the test.

Exactly

Did you get to see his drive time up to when you put it on break for him :question:

you must be unaware of friday rules OP. A simple printout and explanation on the back is all thats needed.

“friday, want to get home, don’t give a ■■■■” :grimacing:

Ah the joy of running logbooks and UK domestic :smiley:

ckm1981:
On Friday I was sat on the A55 north wales having my break minding my own when a rigid pulled in to the layby and stopped in front of me…a guy jumped out and ran upto my cab and this is how the convo went-
Him-ey up pal what’s the crack with these tacho breaks
Me-what do you mean pal?
Him-I got my class 2 when I got made redundant 2 years ago but have never used it,boss man sent me out this morning because reg driver didn’t turn up.
Me-so you have a digi card in
Him-yeah,put it in when I left…at 6am (it’s now 13:45)
Me-have you had a break yet?
Him-no not yet don’t know how to do a break on the machine
Me-how many hour have you been driving
Him-about 6
Me-put it on break now for 45 mins and hope VOSA don’t pull you in
Him-how do I put it on break…

So I went and showed him how to put it on break in his tacho ect.

CPC’s all round lol

according too bradford1978 take this guy will be on £7 an hour and be dressed like a pauper and have the same stance as a Neanderthal man