Tacho rules

Hi

I need some help i’m so confussed with Tacho rules it is hurting my head, i work as a multidrop driver on a van that weighs more than 3.5 tonnes so i need a tacho, the problem is half of our fleet are the old Analouge tachos and the other which I hardly use are the digi tacho. I consider myself as a new driver as i have not worked in the industry, and after paying through the nose to pass my class 2 I beleive my Transport Manager is trying to confuse me on Tacho Rules… I have infringements on Rest periods, now what i know is you need 45 hours a week, but can be reduced to 24 hours but has to be paid back by the third week. now what i dont know is that i have to work Saturdays on a rostered basis, so i get a day off in the week now does the 45 hours have to be taken in one 1 block every week. ALSO anyone now how long should a multidrop driver work (daily driving Hours)…

Thanks

Daily driving hours are the GB dopmestic ones for vans or anything else under 3.5t…

If you drive for over 4hrs in a day your whole shift that day can’t be longer than 11 hours! this doesn’t include breaks though, and as you NEED a half hour working time break before or on 6hours into your shift it means your shift could be no longer than 11 1/2 hours, this is from clocking on to clocking off, not just time out… Know this well as i had my old gaff’s pants right down with it as everyone (apart from me) were running bent…

Simod:
i work as a multidrop driver on a van that weighs more than 3.5 tonnes

EU 561/2006 regs apply - correct on that :smiley:

Simod:
the problem is half of our fleet are the old Analouge tachos and the other which I hardly use are the digi tacho.

Makes no difference to the above - you can use a mix of both.

Simod:
what i know is you need 45 hours a week, but can be reduced to 24 hours but has to be paid back by the third week

By the END of the third week (fully paid back by Sunday 2400 of the third week)

Simod:
i have to work Saturdays on a rostered basis

Every other saturday :question: :question:

Simod:
i get a day off in the week

I’m guessing that is probably less than 45 but more than 24 :question:

Simod:
does the 45 hours have to be taken in one 1 block every week

In one block - YES
Every week - NO

I don’t know if a GURU can work out exactly what your issues are from what you have posted but I’m struggling :blush: :blush:
Personally, I would like to see exactly what days you are working and what weekly rest times are being taken so that I can see what the issues are…
something like this…
Sat & sun off rest of 59 hours
Work mon tue wed thu
fri off rest of 37 hours
work sat
sun off rest of 35 hours
work mon
etc etc

thanks for the feedback guys.

the issue is a bit complex, because we have three shifts so they vary, but i have worked this week 57 hours thats from clock in to clock off from Monday to saturday, Sunday is a rest day and the company can and will give you a day off anywhere in the week, but if i work on Sat i normally finish at 5 or 6 it can be worse, but then i am rotered back in at 6 monday and thats where i’m getting the infringements. our TM says as we are doubled manned we can stay out for 12 hours EU rules and then spouts something else so i’m confussed.

you could go here

VOSA
The Goods Vehicle Testing Station
Stophate Lane
Simonswood
Liverpool
L33 4YA

0151 5466854

pick up a free copy or 2

Drivers Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe

it contains the domestic driving hours as well you could keep a copy & give 1 to your TM :wink: then he cant argue

animal:
you could go here

VOSA
The Goods Vehicle Testing Station
Stophate Lane
Simonswood
Liverpool
L33 4YA

0151 5466854

pick up a free copy or 2

Drivers Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in the UK and Europe

it contains the domestic driving hours as well you could keep a copy & give 1 to your TM :wink: then he cant argue

The problem, GV262 is the rule book that Rog works by, it is only a guide. you need to study EC561/2006 for the true picture :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
The problem, GV262 is the rule book that Rog works by, it is only a guide. you need to study EC561/2006 for the true picture

not true
If the driver is UK only then GV 262 is the one that VOSA will go by.
If Uk and EU then 561/2006 will be used.

Simod:
the issue is a bit complex, because we have three shifts so they vary

Can you let me know, either on here or by PM, as to what days you have worked and what days you have had off in the last 4 weeks please :question:
That is the crucial info in regard to working out eactly where the weekly rest is going awry.

Are you double manning with 2 drivers and is it ALL DAY :question:
Is it every day :question:

Simod:
our TM says as we are doubled manned we can stay out for 12 hours EU rules and then spouts something else so i’m confussed.

So we know what we’re talking about, are there two drivers on the vehicle or a driver and a mate who does no driving ?

The fixed week runs from 00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday.
In each fixed week you should have a “weekly rest” period of at least 45 hours, however you can reduce this to no less than 24 hours which is called a “reduced weekly rest”.

In any two consecutive weeks you should have either two full weekly rest periods of 45 hours each or a full weekly rest period and a reduced weekly rest period of no less than 24 hours.
In other words you must have a full 45 hour weekly rest at least every other week and it has to be taken en-bloc (45 consecutive hours).

If you have a reduced weekly rest it has to be compensated for by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest was taken.

The compensation for a reduced weekly rest can be added onto any rest period of at least 9 hours.

If you finish at 18:00 on a Saturday and restart work at 06:00 Monday you’ve had a reduced weekly rest period of 36 hours, you can only do this every other week unless you also have a full 45 hour weekly rest in the same week which in your case doesn’t seem likely, you will need to pay back 9 hours sometime before the end of the third week following the reduced weekly rest week, as I said this 9 hours can be added onto any rest period of at least 9 hours.

Not sure if this will answer your concerns but hopefully it will give a start to understanding the problems you seem to be having so feel free to post back about anything you don’t understand :wink:

ROG:
not true

i sorry Rog but your wrong mate read the disclaimer in it

Disclaimer
This publication gives general guidance only and should not be regarded as a complete or authoritative statement of the law. The guidance will be updated to reflect any developments in new legislation or case law.
If you wish to check the legal position, you should refer to the main legislation listed in Annex 1 and, if necessary, seek your own legal advice. The guidance offered in this publication reflects VOSA’s current enforcement policy. It does not reflect interpretation of the law in other countries.

vosa will if need be refer to the EU regs if someone in the uk does anything wrong not there guide

ROG:

Wheel Nut:
The problem, GV262 is the rule book that Rog works by, it is only a guide. you need to study EC561/2006 for the true picture

not true

At the risk of seeming pedantic I would hope that VOSA would apply the regulations according to EC 561/2006 for any driver who’s working to those regulations regardless of whether or not they sometimes go across the water.

GV262 is intended as a guide to help drivers and anyone else who’s involved in road transport to understand the regulations.

GV262 is not in itself the regulations, though it would be hard for them to prosecute anyone for following their own guide :wink:

This is one pattern that is legal if working approximately the same shift times on days

Starting with sat & sun off and nothing owing
work mon tue wed thu fri sat
off sun - reduced weekly rest with 10 hours to pay back
work mon tue wed
off thu - daily rest plus 10 hours paid back (now nothing owing)
work fri & sat
off sun & mon so a full weekly rest can be started before sun 2400 (needs both sun & mon off to be legal)
work tue wed
off thu
work fri sat
off sun - reduced weekly rest with 15 hours to pay back
work mon tue
off wed - daily rest plus 15 hours paid back (now nothing owing)
work thu fri
off sat sun - full weekly rest
REPEAT from top

tachograph:
GV262 is not in itself the regulations, though it would be hard for them to prosecute anyone for following their own guide :wink:

Exactly - it is THEIR interpretation of the regulations - the 144 hours bit for example - not in the actual regs and MIGHT be interpretted differently by other EU states.

Ok so where did i mention GV262 or any other :question:

Yes the address was taken from there :blush: due to the mess & mayhem of my house been renovated :unamused:

But if they both have the same book then there can be no argument

so sorry for tryin to help

unless you can get a copy of the EC561/2006 and where would i get a copy from :question:

or look in here

viewforum.php?f=7

animal:
unless you can get a copy of the EC561/2006 and where would i get a copy from :question:

hi mate you can here

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 013:EN:PDF

You can download the VOSA guide to “Drivers hours and tachograph regulations” here.

You can download (EC) 561/2006 here.

Enjoy the reading :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Simod:
ALSO anyone now how long should a multidrop driver work (daily driving Hours)

Same as any other driver under EU regs.

With multidrop it can often be that the 6 hour WORK point (other work & driving added together) is reached before the 4.5 hours of accumulated driving point and if that does happen then you must have at least a 15 min break at or before that 6 hour point for the RT(WTD)R regs - it is an easy one for you to miss but an easy one for the tacho checkers to find if you did not do it.

ROG:

Wheel Nut:

not true

Bullcrap

Thanks all

odes the 90 hour rule apply to me as well and is it what you borrow one week e.g say 58 hours you can only work (drive) 32 the next week.

Thanks

Max driving for you is 56 in any one week (mon 0000 to sun 2400).
The max driving in any fortnight (any 2 consecutive weeks) is 90 hours

If you did 50 driving hours this week then last week your max would be 40 and next week your max would be 40.

The above is for driving time only

Total WORK time (driving & ‘other work’ added together - not breaks or POA) has different rules.
Max WORK for any one week (mon 0000 to sun 2400) is 60 hours.
WORK must not be more than an AVERAGE of 48 hours over a 17 week period (can be 26 week period by agreement) - Don’t worry about this - your EMPLOYERS headache