Driving hours with multi drop jobs

yesterday someone told me that when doing multidrop work your allowed to drive upto 6 hours as your stopping starting etc. i wasnt sure this was correct. can anyone clarify if your working for a home delivery company doing different drops how would you work out your driving time/breaks if your driving, unloading for 5 mins then driving 10 mins to the next drop, is it still just 4.5 hours from the time you started driving regardless of if you keep stop/starting?

thanks

anyone know, could do with the answer for a job tomorrow?

thanks

I found this thread from last year

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61427

ldg2009:
if your driving, unloading for 5 mins then driving 10 mins to the next drop, is it still just 4.5 hours from the time you started driving regardless of if you keep stop/starting?

thanks

In the 15 mins above the 5 minutes spent unloading do not count towards the 4.5h driving time just the 10.

so basically if i start work at 06:00 i can drive upto 12:00 providing that when i stop to deliver i set my tacho to other work even if it is just for a 5 min job. then if i have a 45 min break on the rest period setting of the tacho i can then drive until 18:45pm?

Same regs as normal,
4 n half hours driving, 6 hour WTD blah blah.

If your on multi then more often than not (I do anyway) take a 15 before youve done 6 hours shiftime and then a 30 either before your 9 hours shiftime or 4 n half hours driving, whichever comes sooner.

Your tacho should show other work if you are stopped and will be obvious that you are not driving to anyone who looks at tacho so if on analogue you can use the stopwatch to record all driving so you dont exceed your 4.5 drive time and just make sure you have a 15 min break sometime in your first few hours to cover WTD then take your 30 mins on 4.5 hr drive sorted

Jen x

ldg2009:
yesterday someone told me that when doing multidrop work your allowed to drive upto 6 hours as your stopping starting etc. i wasnt sure this was correct. can anyone clarify if your working for a home delivery company doing different drops how would you work out your driving time/breaks if your driving, unloading for 5 mins then driving 10 mins to the next drop, is it still just 4.5 hours from the time you started driving regardless of if you keep stop/starting?

thanks

It’s a bit dangerous to think like that. If you’re doing multidrop then you MUST keep track of your driving and make sure it doesn’t go over 4.5 hours. Does your truck have a digi tacho? That will keep you straight but if on analogue maybe you could use the stopwatch facility on your phone. Don’t be tempted to cut it too fine by trying to work your driving right up to 4.5 hours as you will almost certainly have ■■■■ ups. How long is your typical day?

The way I understand it is driving hours say 45 minute break after 4.5 hours driving, and working time directive says 30 minute break during 6 hours work (driving and other work).

When I was doing multi drop I would take a 15 min break early in the day and a 30 minute before 6 hours was up. Very unlikely you will exceed 4.5 hours driving time if you are doing multidrop. If I had an easy day where I was pretty sure I would be done in 6 hours I wouldn’t take a break at all.

ldg2009:
so basically if i start work at 06:00 i can drive upto 12:00 providing that when i stop to deliver i set my tacho to other work even if it is just for a 5 min job. then if i have a 45 min break on the rest period setting of the tacho i can then drive until 18:45pm?

Don’t confuse work and driving.

If you start work at 0600 and work up to 1200 with a load of stops inbetween for deliveries it is unlikely that you will have done 4½ hours driving - so you will be OK.

As the others have said - take a 15min for breakfast mid morning and you will probably be OK. And yes you can drive for 4½ hours after the midday break.

Remember that driving means just what you would expect - sitting at the wheel and er driving. Other work is loading and unloading, and break is doing neither.

total rubbish , its 4-1/2 hours wheels turning regardless or 6 hours work, which means when you clock on an are doin ur checks etc, however with multi drop especially the likes of 3663 you will have so many drops by 6hours you prob wont of driven 4-1/2 hours if you have a digi tacho it will tell you, or get a timer, beware a lot of multidrop like 3663 will try to get you to work thru ur break to get the work done an if you get in trouble it is your fault an you will pay the price you will be seen as canon fodder always another to take your place, i did it when i 1st started ,never again will i work with food distribution or multi drop, better off if you only got class2 to try jewson or similar they may pay your hiab or its a £200 layout, i got experience but jacked after 18months of hell i dont thank them as all i learnt was all the bent tactics an how not to do it! KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HOURS YOU WILL GET A TUG SOONER OR LATER

donpablo:
total rubbish , its 4-1/2 hours wheels turning regardless or 6 hours work, which means when you clock on an are doin ur checks etc, however with multi drop especially the likes of 3663 you will have so many drops by 6hours you prob wont of driven 4-1/2 hours if you have a digi tacho it will tell you, or get a timer, beware a lot of multidrop like 3663 will try to get you to work thru ur break to get the work done an if you get in trouble it is your fault an you will pay the price you will be seen as canon fodder always another to take your place, i did it when i 1st started ,never again will i work with food distribution or multi drop, better off if you only got class2 to try jewson or similar they may pay your hiab or its a £200 layout, i got experience but jacked after 18months of hell i dont thank them as all i learnt was all the bent tactics an how not to do it! KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR HOURS YOU WILL GET A TUG SOONER OR LATER

I can echo donpablo with regards to 3663…put you tacho on break and carry on working on the back of the lorry

natsdad:

donpablo:

I can echo donpablo with regards to 3663…put you tacho on break and carry on working on the back of the lorry

Its upto the drivers to grow a pair and stand up to the clown in the office and state you refuse to break the tacho laws for them, if you get the ■■■■ end of the stick youve got a great greivance case.
A gaffer once ‘asked’ me to work through my break, when I told him it had to be worth my while to the tune of £20k for that hour he changed his tune.
That break is my time and its gonna take a hefty whack to get me working through it.

Squiddy:
The way I understand it is driving hours say 45 minute break after 4.5 hours driving, and working time directive says 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours work (driving and other work).

Fixed that for you. :wink:

B1 GGK:

natsdad:

donpablo:

Its upto the drivers to grow a pair and stand up to the clown in the office and state you refuse to break the tacho laws for them, if you get the [zb] end of the stick youve got a great greivance case.
A gaffer once ‘asked’ me to work through my break, when I told him it had to be worth my while to the tune of £20k for that hour he changed his tune.
That break is my time and its gonna take a hefty whack to get me working through it.

Quite agree.
I was working for an agency with a tarmac company last month and the boss told me that when i arrived on site i was to put my tacho on break…i politely told him where to go and informed him that i would be sitting in the cab doing nothing, not even operating the tipper handle if i was on a break…i havent been back since, or heard from the agency for that matter
:unamused:

been driving for a ( pallet distribution company ) for 2 weeks now with roughly between 6 - 10 drops a day a typical day is about 10 hours broken down on the analogue tacho is about 4 hrs total driving. 4 - 5 hrs other work and 1- 2 hours poa. 45 min break. i start at 7am and take my full 45 min break about 12ish still within the 4.5 hr driving limit and 6hr wtd which means providing i dont do more than 4.5hrsdriving after this i can then work up to 6:45pm before i need to have another break. poa is quite important cuz it keeps ur total weekly wtd hrs well below the 48hr maximum but make sure you keep a personal record each day. last week i worked a total of 48.5 hrs but 10 of whcih were poa so kept me well under the weekly wtd maximum hours.

Coffeeholic:

Squiddy:
The way I understand it is driving hours say 45 minute break after 4.5 hours driving, and working time directive says 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours work (driving and other work).

Fixed that for you. :wink:

:blush: :exclamation:

:blush: again. Quick google confirmed I am wrong. Reason I believed it was 30 mins so vehemently was because I have had two tacho warnings in the past for only taking a 17 min break before 6 hours was up (driving hours fine)

Assumed the TM was right when he said it had to be 30 mins. Many apologies!

WTD is 1x15 min break in a 6hrs shift.

a shift of 6-9hrs requires 30min break which can be split by 2x15 that is how I understand it.

TJ82:
WTD is 1x15 min break in a 6hrs shift.

a shift of 6-9hrs requires 30min break which can be split by 2x15 that is how I understand it.

Almost correct. It’s not the length of the shift that counts but the amount of work done in that shift. You could do a shift of 11 hours but with POA not reach 6 hours work and if you don’t exceed 4.5 hours driving you wouldn’t legally require any break at all.

Last Monday I did a shift of just under 11 and a half hours of which 4 hours 23 minutes was driving, 1 hour 33 minutes was other work and 5 hours 30 minutes was break. Now I never use POA but if I had booked that break time as POA, and I could have done as I knew how long I was going to be waiting for both periods that made up those 5 and a half hours, I could have done that entire shift without having to record any break. It would have been legal for both the WTD and the tacho rules.