Tacho and driving hours help please

I start my first driving job next Monday and I have a fair idea how driving hours work but can someone explain it a bit better lol
So I know 4.5 hours driving you need 45 min break
3 hours work + 3 hours driving you need 30mins

So what if I have local multi drops, do I drive to each place, set my tacho to ‘other work’ while I open the curtains to get unloaded and then count that unloading time towards my ‘other work’■■

I’m sure I will get used to this rubbish one day

Yes that’s how it works.
Most multi drop drivers are more likely to fall foul of the WTD 6 hour rule before the 4.5 hour driving time.

So if I do like 2.5 hours other work Nd 2.5 hours drive then I decide to have a 30 min break, that will reset my times so I can do them all
Over again?

6 hour wtd only needs 15 mins not 30 mins.

Ryan090:
3 hours work + 3 hours driving you need 30mins

You need to have a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time not 30 minutes.

The 15 minute WTD break for the 6 hour rule will also count as the first part of a split driving break.

While loading/unloading or doing any other type of work the tachograph should be on “other work”.

Here’s a guide to the regulations

Oh okay I thought it was 30 mins, so bloody confusing with all these times lol.

Buy two kitchen timers from a hardware shop or cooking shop.Salter is the brand.
Set one timer for the tacho and driving hours the other for Wtd.If you write it all down it gets confusing and you need to concentrste on driving not scribbling notes down.
There is no time for that.

Ryan090:

Concentrate on getting the drivers hours and tachograph rules right, they are more important than the WTD rules.

The regulations can seem confusing at first but in time they will all make sense.

Actually I’ll rephrase that, in time you will understand them, they’ll probably never make sense :laughing: :wink:

toby1234abc:
Buy two kitchen timers from a hardware shop or cooking shop.Salter is the brand.
Set one timer for the tacho and driving hours the other for Wtd.If you write it all down it gets confusing and you need to concentrste on driving not scribbling notes down.
There is no time for that.

An easier way is most vehicles now have digi tachos. It will show your accumulated drive time. Don’t exceed the 4.5 hours without a break.
Whatever your start time is, add 6 hours and make sure you have a break before that time.
Most places don’t pay your 45 minutes so take it all in one go after about 5 hours. By the time you’ve finished your break you’ve reset all your working times and if you’re doing pallet network multidrop it should leave you enough time to complete your day without any other breaks.

tachograph:

Ryan090:

Concentrate on getting the drivers hours and tachograph rules right, they are more important than the WTD rules.

The regulations can seem confusing at first but in time they will all make sense.

Actually I’ll rephrase that, in time you will understand them, they’ll probably never make sense :laughing: :wink:

Very true that ,when i first started it was like trying to understand quantum physics but after a couple of months they do fall into place

Wtd is other work and driving.For example start work at 7 am and by 13.00 that is six hours.So need 30 min break for Wtd.
But for driving its 45 min break if driven 4.30 hours.
Most of us would take a 45 min break by 13.00.
Then wipes the slate clean for more collections or drops to do.
When select the Poa mode it stops the timer for Wtd.
Just stop at the six hour point.If you work over 9 hours another Wtd break is due.

toby1234abc:
Wtd is other work and driving.For example start work at 7 am and by 13.00 that is six hours.So need 30 min break for Wtd.
Just stop at the six hour point.If you work over 9 hours another Wtd break is due.

After 6 hours its only 15 minute break for WTD

Can I borrow your brick wall please Tachograph?

toby1234abc:

As has been said, unless there’s a company policy to have 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time, you need a 15 minute break to satify the regulations not 30 minutes.

Also if you work over 9 hours you don’t necessarily need another break.

m1cks:
Can I borrow your brick wall please Tachograph?

Feel free, it’s long brick wall :wink:

And the clock starts when you book on, NOT when you stick your card in.

Another example of the current newbie system not working as it could be

We now have a newbie who has the licence, knows how to do vehicle checks and how to search for drugs and illegals but is not trained and tested on the regulations

It really needs module 2 to become a test on the regs

Agreed rog, I think they should of put some of the driving hours etc in with the test or whatever.
It’s the most confusing part yet the less concentrated part in all the training