t.m,s etc

what would you do
got to one of my drops and the talk was of the driver who,d pulled out turned right and crashing down came trailer fully loaded, they managed to right it but according to them its a write off[ hadnt put clip on or gave it a couple of tugs]. he was then given another unit and obviously rattled reversed under pin and straight into back of cab smashing air deflectors, he was then given another unit and according to them then sent out on longish night trunk run.
just intrested to know from tms, extms etc what youd have done, would you have sent him out or what would you have done :question:

IT is not possible/right shall we say to make

a decision for or against,as one should have

meet the person,and worked with kim or her

first.From what your first sentence says about

the trailer dropping,it sounds as if the person

in question was not correctly checked out when

joining the firm, IF this person has only just passed

the test for these vehicles of course he/she requires

time and training,and lets be honest,that takes more

than a day,no ONE IS PERFECT and we allmake mistakes

which can with training be kept to the minimum,and if the

person then does another misshap,surely it is wiser tostop

think why has it happened and do some thing about it,

AFTER the second incident, they should have given the

person time to get themselves to gether,and then yes if

the trust is still their and the person is willing send them out.

HOWEVER,these accidents happen andonly good training

and the firms own introduction will help improve situations

like this,A BETTER TRAINED DRIVER IS A SAFER DRIVER

brit pete:
IT is not possible/right shall we say to make

a decision for or against,as one should have

meet the person,and worked with kim or her

first.From what your first sentence says about

the trailer dropping,it sounds as if the person

in question was not correctly checked out when

joining the firm, IF this person has only just passed

the test for these vehicles of course he/she requires

time and training,and lets be honest,that takes more

than a day,no ONE IS PERFECT and we allmake mistakes

which can with training be kept to the minimum,and if the

person then does another misshap,surely it is wiser tostop

think why has it happened and do some thing about it,

AFTER the second incident, they should have given the

person time to get themselves to gether,and then yes if

the trust is still their and the person is willing send them out.

HOWEVER,these accidents happen andonly good training

and the firms own introduction will help improve situations

like this,A BETTER TRAINED DRIVER IS A SAFER DRIVER

the last bit worries me pete, if the person is willing send him out , to me after those two incidents the alarm bells would be ringing, somethings not right, could be hes not taking well to nights , but send him out whether he wanted to or not to me would not of been a good decision i.m.h.o[ unless you sent another driver with him to double check what hes doing] . which is what my thoughts were at the time , should he then of gone on his own, i dont think so

THIS from ady1
the last bit worries me pete, if the person is willing send him out , to me after those two incidents the alarm bells would be ringing, somethings not right, could be hes not taking well to nights , but send him out whether he wanted to or not to me would not of been a good decision i.m.h.o[ unless you sent another driver with him to double check what hes doing] . which is what my thoughts were at the time , should he then of gone on his own, i dont think so

YES AND NO, as i said you have eithe rworked or known the person

concerned,and although I would agree with you as regards sending

him out with an other driver, IF i did not know the person, this is very

rarely carried out by firms due to the magic word COSTS and PROFIT;:

IT comes back to the point training and also inhouse training

but no one or shall we say only a small number fo firms carry this out

we wish to call ourselves professionals bit even F1 drivers do in

housetraining to reduce the risks of makeing a mistake and haveing a

accident

Our procedures at work are pretty clear. When a person drops a trailer (s)he will be retrained first before allowed to continue with their duties.

If a person is involved in an accident (not necessarily a RTA, but for example denting/scraping a trailer/truck), the same applies - retraining before commencing their duties.

All such incidents are kept on a database. If a driver has too many similar mishaps in a year (e.g. dropping a trailer quite often), he will be dealt with through the disciplinary procedure, or, if an agency driver, barred from site.

Mark :smiley:

ady1:
what would you do
got to one of my drops and the talk was of the driver who,d pulled out turned right and crashing down came trailer fully loaded, they managed to right it but according to them its a write off[ hadnt put clip on or gave it a couple of tugs]. he was then given another unit and obviously rattled reversed under pin and straight into back of cab smashing air deflectors, he was then given another unit and according to them then sent out on longish night trunk run.
just intrested to know from tms, extms etc what youd have done, would you have sent him out or what would you have done :question:

If it was Reed Boardall, then judging by the time a driver lost a trailer and it ended up in the ditch having gone off the bridge joining the two yards, they’d have given him a 56 plate and sent him on his way.

Sounds like the guy was in a blind rage, not just rattled. Perhaps a word in his ear and a bit of self control and Interlog’s re-training should be applied?

I have transport management experience at FLM level, and I would have certainly not have allowed him to carry on.

He’d have gone home with pay, and I’d have invited him to come back for a chat about what happened after he’d chilled out a little. The next day, probably.

I would establish what he felt the correct procedures were.

Then I would have explained the correct procedures, and gone into the yard and done it for real if necessary. Because this guy obviously was doing something wrong.

You do not send somebody out when they have just done this - no matter how urgent the load is.

^^^^^^^ totally agree

ady1:
…driver who,d pulled out turned right and crashing down came trailer fully loaded, they managed to right it but according to them its a write off… …he was then given another unit and obviously rattled reversed under pin and straight into back of cab smashing air deflectors…

The first incident would be worrying enough, but to have another incident from the obviously stressed driver makes it even worse.

Different companies handle it differently but he could end up having a “meeting” with his TM over “advisory training” to stop such things happening in future.

Then again, if I’d trashed a truck, and then reversed it into another I’d probably be sent home for the week pending an “investigation”. But then again, I’m already being paranoid :unamused: :unamused: