Extra long trailer training question

Background:
My training consisted of, Whilst working on agency; On the night the company loaded the wrong trailer, being told I will have to be trained that night on the xtra long trailer (y’know the 10yr experimental ones).

This was achieved by taking the shunter on a sub 5 min ride to pick up a waggon from round the corner. No choice really as an agency driver you either drive or don’t earn money. Anyway it ended with a cursory “are you ok with that?” question followed by saying “yeah” as I felt under pressure to go.

Anyway some 3 months later I find myself employed paye by this company delivering to shops in a major city centre with the trailer, which frankly I’m not too happy about but it is doable and I quite like a challenge

However, on the way home the other evening I popped into a garage for a coffee and when leaving the offside (unseen) edge of the trailer brushed against and moved the tail lift out of position.

I have often see this happen with other trucks over the years and realised its a case of it (the tail lift) just being repositioned back at the depot. so didn’t worry about it too much.

However I find that now I’m on a disciplinary this coming Monday for not reporting an accident within the “golden hour” and not writing on the insurance form they made me fill out that I was at fault. I’m ultimately responsible for everything that happens and I accept that but I think their reaction is over the top and somewhat Robotic.

But I’m not happy and I’m looking for and advice.

Q: What training have others had (and with which companies) on these “experimental” LST trailers and what did it consist of?

Although I will accept a kicking at the interview I intend to create a grievance about the glib attitude to the training and also about the TLM’s not letting me write defects on other issues (two H/S ones) saying they will inspect first, only to do nothing ie Leaving a very loose safety rail on the tail lift of a double decker etc

I cant call upon my union rep to help as he has just accepted an upcoming promotion to management (for next month) and therefore any input (regardless of his integrity) will surely be compromised

Any experience or advice will be useful to load my gun with and much appreciated

Cheers

Jim

A drive round the corner is no way sufficient training, the LST’s drive totally differently forward (Take wider turns than std trailers as well as one hell of a arse end swing.) Then there is reversing… that is good fun on your first few goes too due to the rear steer and axle configuration, once you get your head around, then it only gets easier

BUT, I can’t see that being a defence to not reporting the accident? - Regardless of the severity, it is still an accident and could see your company receiving a claim from the garage for any damage (Yes, including wall scrapes)

trubster:
A drive round the corner is no way sufficient training, the LST’s drive totally differently forward (Take wider turns than std trailers as well as one hell of a arse end swing.) Then there is reversing… that is good fun on your first few goes too due to the rear steer and axle configuration, once you get your head around, then it only gets easier

BUT, I can’t see that being a defence to not reporting the accident?

I did consider ringing it in but my IPhone had decided not to recognise the charger on that run (its a 48hr delivery) and had run out. so I reported the incident when I got back. turns out that I have a fault with that charger cable, not the charger.

Waggons do have an integrated charger/hands free unit, but it does not fit iPhone and previously when I have asked for a phone I have often been told there are non avail, so stopped asking months ago.

‘Brushed against’ what exactly bearing in mind enough force to damage the tail lift. :open_mouth: :laughing:

As for the new trailers idea of putting most of it on the tail overhang/sweep instead of the cut in it’s a joke with predictable results. :unamused:

Carryfast:
‘Brushed against’ what exactly bearing in mind enough force to damage the tail lift. :open_mouth: :laughing:

As for the new trailers idea of putting most of it on the tail overhang/sweep instead of the cut in it’s a joke with predictable results. :unamused:

Thanks for that question, its a good one:
I used the word brush, because I never felt a jolt, As you turn the sterring wheels head off in that direction and I think I just caught the post and the wheels then pushed the tail lift out of place. I heard the tail lift flap and after I have pulled out I thought I had better check that’s when I realised

I cant much speak for these new trailers as ive only driven them the once at my last company. But from what i remember you had to have some form of training and it had to be signed off by yourself as they need to keep records of driver training and all accidents involving these trailers to give feedback on the government trial etc.

My training involved a short classroom explanation and a few videos of how they maneuvered round corners. An hours drive with an experienced driver trainer who took me round various roads, roundabouts and showed me how it maneuvered round these. He then made me sign his records and gave me a in house certificate i assume for my on records, not sure if this is a requirement.

So if you never signed anything then you’re laughing.

You mention ‘‘golden hour’’ are you a dhl employee?

merc0447:
I cant much speak for these new trailers as ive only driven them the once at my last company. But from what i remember you had to have some form of training and it had to be signed off by yourself as they need to keep records of driver training and all accidents involving these trailers to give feedback on the government trial etc.

My training involved a short classroom explanation and a few videos of how they maneuvered round corners. An hours drive with an experienced driver trainer who took me round various roads, roundabouts and showed me how it maneuvered round these. He then made me sign his records and gave me a in house certificate i assume for my on records, not sure if this is a requirement.

So if you never signed anything then you’re laughing.

You mention ‘‘golden hour’’ are you a dhl employee?

That’s interesting, what company did you do it with?

and yes is the answer

Sorry but you need to take the blame for this.
Im shocked you have had an accident and then just drove off, the iphone bollox doesnt wash with me.

Also theres the typical agency bollox of trying to blame lack of training when in your first post you admit to saying you where ok with the training given.

Any imaginary pressure you feel under is down to you.
Im being kind here but when your in charge of a heavy goods vehicle you need to be the captain and not some wishy washy pratt who is a danger to others. Grow up and take your disciplinary and learn from it.

Its obvious you thought you would get away with this and just drove off.

Dipper_Dave:
Sorry but you need to take the blame for this.
Im shocked you have had an accident and then just drove off, the iphone bollox doesnt wash with me.

Also theres the typical agency bollox of trying to blame lack of training when in your first post you admit to saying you where ok with the training given.

Any imaginary pressure you feel under is down to you.
Im being kind here but when your in charge of a heavy goods vehicle you need to be the captain and not some wishy washy pratt who is a danger to others. Grow up and take your disciplinary and learn from it.

Its obvious you thought you would get away with this and just drove off.

Look on the bright side the worse case scenario is that it could foreseeably take the side out of a building causing it to collapse during a turn without the driver even knowing about it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Dipper_Dave:

He’s not an agency driver or did you miss that bit in your childish state of excitement at seeing the word agency mentioned and thinking you’d have another opportunity to have a go?

Q- how do you find out if someone has an iPhone?

A- you just wait for them to tell you.

If it is DHL just get another job, I personally cant stand them. Nisa at Scunthorpe pain in the ■■■, The Range at Doncaster complete morons . Simples…

jcfd55:
However I find that now I’m on a disciplinary this coming Monday for not reporting an accident within the “golden hour” and not writing on the insurance form they made me fill out that I was at fault. I’m ultimately responsible for everything that happens and I accept that but I think their reaction is over the top and somewhat Robotic.

There was no other vehicle involved right? For me, the golden hour bit is rather pedantic of them. You reported it at end of shift. That should be “End Of” in my little world.

However the not writing that you were at fault - sorry I don’t get that at all, especially given your next statement that you are ultimately responsible. If you are trying to claim that inadequate training 3 month previously is to blame, then sorry mate no one is going buy that.

By the way those trailers look a right pain to drive and I hope that plenty more little bumps happen to dissuade their widespread adoption!

Conor:

Dipper_Dave:

He’s not an agency driver or did you miss that bit in your childish state of excitement at seeing the word agency mentioned and thinking you’d have another opportunity to have a go?

Sorry Conor but read again, he/she was an agency driver when training or lack thereof was given. Please dont make this another thread where you throw your dummy out the pram and cry off on a self enforced sebaticle.

That said its a fair comment that my post can be read as anti agency whether taken out of context or not and for this I will apologise, but regardless of employment position to say you are OK with the training given means you are OK with the training given.

So Conor feel free to produce some constructive input rather than your usual ad hominem approach.

Dipper_Dave:

Sorry Conor but read again, he/she was an agency driver when training or lack thereof was given. Please dont make this another thread where you throw your dummy out the pram and cry off on a self enforced sebaticle.

That said its a fair comment that my post can be read as anti agency whether taken out of context or not and for this I will apologise, but regardless of employment position to say you are OK with the training given means you are OK with the training given.
[/quote]
He said that he’s ‘ok’ with it for obvious reasons.Just like any other driver worth his salt on the the basis of ‘get on with it’ rather than moan about the job and get a bad name.‘But’ there is a point where that idea is counterproductive for all concerned.Being that in this case it is all about a flawed compromised design which has been pushed through by those in authority who know zb all and others who should know better.When ‘if’ we are going to have LHV’s then do the job properly in the form of proper larger drawbar outfits.Together with artic trailers that put the extra length where it is easier to deal with between the pin and axles.Rather than on the overhangs.With the win win situation of also creating a better weight distribution situation. :unamused:

jcfd55:
I cant call upon my union rep to help as he has just accepted an upcoming promotion to management (for next month) and therefore any input (regardless of his integrity) will surely be compromised…

If you pay your union subs every week/month then on the contrary, you are well within your rights to expect someone to represent you at the hearing. If you are not happy with the bloke who has been promoted, you must demand that the union sends someone else at their expense, and if I was you I would not be sitting in any disciplinary hearing until they do so.

Otherwise what’s the point paying your dues to the union?

Two things to consider anyway are:

Ask them to produce the piece of paper that you signed to prove you have been trained on these trailers; and
Do they provide you with a means to contact them at their expense? If not then their ‘golden hour’ procedure isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, because you don’t carry a mobile at work, do you?

Did they give you a company phone to call it in? When you had the “brush” were you more than a hour from the depot? Those are two things I’d bring up to battle against the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ rule.

Did you sign the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ sheet stating you have even herd of it?

Carryfast:
He said that he’s ‘ok’ with it for obvious reasons.Just like any other driver worth his salt on the the basis of ‘get on with it’ rather than moan about the job and get a bad name.

The value of a drivers ‘salt’ this day and age has diminished substantionally. Yes there is a factor of feeling pressure to just crack on and learn as you go but the ability of the new breed to adapt is far removed from a time when we just given the keys and allowed to self teach.

Case in point, the OP has chosen to blame poor training/pressure/iphone charger/etc and anything else they can think of on an occurence they tried to get away with.
Blame culture is part and parcel of todays excistence but one has to take ownership early when Mr Cockup comes out to play, especially if its their fault as is the case here.

■■■■ happens, deal with it like a man and take the blame if applicable.

It is a fair point from Dippy Dave, but from what the OP says the company is intent on using its procedures against him. It would be rude, therefore, for him not to return the favour through bringing up documentation of his training for a start.

You’ve already admitted that you are ultimately responsible for the truck and trailer when you’re on the road, and despite what you now feel was insufficient training you accepted it at the time and felt happy enough with it to take the trailers out, so I suggest you take it on the chin and if you’re not happy with the outcome or have sour grapes with the company then look around for something else.

I’ve done LST training and it consisted of me and the driver trainer driving around the estate where we are based doing laps between two roundabouts getting a feel for vehicle placement and for how the back reacts to steering, then back to the yard to reverse inside a bay, he was happy with me and I was happy with pulling the trailers, any bumps after that are down to driver error.