What would happen in your company?

Hi all this is my first post but been finding this site very useful since getting on the class 1’s.

Today my firm sent me to tip a load. To get to this warehouse I had to turn down three Narrow streets the first with parked cars either side with bollards on the corners (left turn), the second through a gate on the right both had buildings either side of the gate (right turn) the third was a lot easier but again with cars parked either side.

It took me around 30 minutes to travel less than 100 meters and I was mm from hitting cars, buildings and bollards throughout.

I am relatively new to the transport industry and wanted to know what your company does if you have an accident and actually cause damage to people’s property or vehicles?

Even though I didn’t hit anything it has knocked my confidence abit as I really struggled today.

dont let that knock your confidence mate it sounds like you dealt with a ■■■■■■ situation very well.

Instead of letting it knock your confidence John you should turn it round and use the fact that you did the job without hitting anything as a boost to your confidence! As a relatively new guy you did everything right imo, you took your time and didn’t cause any damage.

Asking what other companies do about damage is a bit like asking how long a piece of string is tbh. There are many, many variables such as how experienced you are, how tight the drop is, how often you cause damage, your attitude after hitting something. I could go on but I’m sure you get my drift.

I would urge you in future to maybe take some pictures to show your traffic office if you come across this situation again as driver Bloggs has told them that warehouse xyz is a right ■■■■■ to get into but that means nothing to the office unless the can see with their own eyes.

Don’t let it get you down fella, we all put up with stuff like this every day, kinda goes with the territory.

Good luck.

You’ve done the right thing in taking your time and making sure that you didn’t hit anything. I suppose you have to think yourself lucky that you didn’t have to reverse out again! Don’t worry not every delivery is like this. If there are other drivers on the firm then it would be a good idea to ask if they have been to each place, you’ll find that the decent ones will be only too willing to help. Apart from that in a tight spot never be afraid to get out and have a look - just remember to put the handbrake on if you are getting stressed. If someone is helping you as a banksman then make sure they stand where you can see them all the time.

It gets better. Just watch out when you start feeling that you’ve got the hang of things, because that’s when it all goes wrong through over-confidence.

the maoster:
Instead of letting it knock your confidence John you should turn it round and use the fact that you did the job without hitting anything as a boost to your confidence! As a relatively new guy you did everything right imo, you took your time and didn’t cause any damage.

Spot on. Dont let it get to you. Use it s a positive that you mnaged it. Plenty drivers would have went into a nervous breakdown but you took your time nd managed it.
Different companies have different policies for hitting things. Might be an idea to find out what yours is so you know for future. If they are strict about it and expect the driver to cover excess etc then you have the excuse(for want of a better word) to refuse if you are not happy with the entrance

I just found it really embarrassing with everyone staring and laughing whilst I struggled. Felt like getting out at one point and throttling a member of the public who was laughing.

last thing i would worry about is a member of the public! they probably havent got a car licence never mind any idea of a hgv!

it reminds me of when i was in the middle of newcastle some woman was complaining that the ‘stupid’ lorry was blocking the street whilst tipping his load totally ignorant of the fact he was delivering to the store she was walking out of with a load of bags.

treat the general public with a pinch of salt they wont ever appreciate what sounds like a tight manouver.

Claret_john:
I just found it really embarrassing with everyone staring and laughing whilst I struggled. Felt like getting out at one point and throttling a member of the public who was laughing.

the public are idiots…don’t let them get you down.my advice is,don’t hit a stationary vehicle…you can’t blame the other driver!

Turn it around to a positive fella you done it you never caused any damage so pat your self on the back and don’t let it bother you

Our company are very good with us about things like this tbh.
Obviously they like you to take care and not hit things but if you clip a car, knock down a wall, knock a lamp post down etc etc all they ask is you tell them and not try and hide it.

Usually that will be the last you hear of it, they take care of everything. You may have to fill in a statement in some cases but not for the small things.

This also goes for vehicle damage as well, mostly treated as the ‘nature’ of the job and things do happen, sometimes damage occurs.

If you are clearly reckless and hitting things over and over then something will be done about it. They aren’t stupid and can tell the difference and I respect them for their approach to drivers.

The public are idiots, look at the twerps they elected to lead us into the toilet over the last 20 years and the utter garbage they soak up like sponges on the propaganda box in the corner, bloody sheep most of them.

Carry on mate you’re doing fine, if you’d belted in a like a superhero in 30 seconds flat and took two mirrors and a Range Rovers wing off you’d have something to worry about.

You did well lad, keep it up.

Claret_john:

members of the public are ignorant put them in a hgv and they would brick it,take no notice,also look at it as good experience which a few others on here have been saying

Like others have said, don’t knock yourself, but think yep I’ve done ok. :smiley: nobody’s been hurt, nothing’s been damaged and the icing on the cake you got the load. :laughing:

You didn’t even go to pieces when people were giving you stick, I’ve seen people who forget which way to steer as soon as they get a bit of a crowd watching.

sure it took you time, but it takes even dinging a park car could take you more than 30 minutes to sort out.

How you’ll be treated of you have minor shunt will depend on the company, I’ve worked for small companies with managers who’ve been out on the road and know what can happen. So as long as you don’t make a habit of damaging the trucks they’re pretty understanding about the odd scrape, I think I’ve beaten myself up more about damaging a truck than my bosses have.

But some of the major logistics companies probably have procedures and form filling.

If you managed that without losing your cool, without hitting anything, completing the the delivery and still managed to crack on with the day, then you have the making of being a proper driver :smiley:

We had a guy who took 3 hours just to reverse onto a bay at a customers site!

Keep up the good work fella.

H.

Claret_john:
Hi all this is my first post but been finding this site very useful since getting on the class 1’s.

Today my firm sent me to tip a load. To get to this warehouse I had to turn down three Narrow streets the first with parked cars either side with bollards on the corners (left turn), the second through a gate on the right both had buildings either side of the gate (right turn) the third was a lot easier but again with cars parked either side.

It took me around 30 minutes to travel less than 100 meters and I was mm from hitting cars, buildings and bollards throughout.

I am relatively new to the transport industry and wanted to know what your company does if you have an accident and actually cause damage to people’s property or vehicles?

Even though I didn’t hit anything it has knocked my confidence abit as I really struggled today.

Don’t worry about it its all good Experience. Your day sounds like mine every day go to sum horse and cart places.

Claret_john:

And,of course,you’ll now have the youtubers…lapping up every second of your struggle,hoping they’ll capture your misfortune on camera.

sounds like you did just fine :wink:

By definition half the population are below average intelligence unfortunately those are the ones that are encouraged to breed :imp:

Honked:
If you managed that without losing your cool, without hitting anything, completing the the delivery and still managed to crack on with the day, then you have the making of being a proper driver :smiley:

We had a guy who took 3 hours just to reverse onto a bay at a customers site!

Keep up the good work fella.

H.

i can remember when i passed the lovely planners at dfds gave me the tightest blind side back in we had on my 1st shift with a twin steer truck, after about an hour with a driver hanging onto the mirror advising me i managed to get it onto the bay (about a stone lighter too), when i called in and had a moan the response was … well tomorrows will be easier.

he was right but by christ it was a baptism of fire.

commonrail:
And,of course,you’ll now have the youtubers…lapping up every second of your struggle,hoping they’ll capture your misfortune on camera.

Not just youtubers mate, turns out that there are a few here who’d film it and then present the “evidence” to the authorities!