1st Interview

Went for first my interview today driving artics, it went O.K. and was told to get some practice in and then comeback for an assessment drive and if that’s O.K. you are in!
Fine I thought I can do that, talking through pay etc, seemed O.K. £8.50 per hour, overtime £10.60, then was told that holidays are 20 days including bank holidays, so 12 + 8, use to 25 + 8 hmm, if this usual or slightly mean of this operator? I am not greedy so can manage on 20 days + bank hols.
Oh and any damage to the vehicle caused by you, has to be paid for, not cool about this at all, again is this usual?, or should I start walking in the opposite direction?

Again views and comments appreciated, thanks for replies to my previous posts!

Regards H.
p.s. Walking across the yard seeing the trucks moving around, just confirmed that this is the job for me, but not necessarily this operator!

howatsi:
Oh and any damage to the vehicle caused by you, has to be paid for, not cool about this at all, again is this usual?, or should I start walking in the opposite direction?

Given that the cost of repairing even slight damage can be high I think I would be walking away.

i agree with Coffeeholic, as there are enough firms looking for

drivers,and paying just as much if not more,

yep gotta agree i would walk. whats the firms insurance for if not to cover accidents etc. sounds like a tight firm to me try agency work for awhile better pay etc.

Again thanks for the replies - more quality feedback.

I spoke to my dad about it, who was a transport manager back in the 80s/early 90s and I’m afraid I can’t print what he said, suffice to say “NO DEAL”

Ringing around the agenices as we speak and I’ve got my artic coaching on Sunday.

Regards H.

Sounds like a cowboy firm.

I didn’t know firms could operate on 3rd party insurance?

Many companies pay part of the wages in bonus form, whether it be damage bonus, wash-off bonus, or whatever.
Two firms that I know of pay £50 per week, and if you cause damage to the vehicle you lose your bonus for that week only
More often than not it’ll encourage a driver to be just that little bit more careful, and it does work.
Obviously if the damage isn’t your fault, then you dont lose out.
This would actually be a godsend in our yard, we have so many couldn’t care less drivers, it would certainly be a wake up call for them.

Obvoulsy the small print needs closer investigation in howsatsi’s case, I wouldn’t neccesarily walk away, just be careful about how much they want you to pay.

I damaged a light lense cover when i reversed into a post & my company was fine about it when i told them. They just replaced it & that was it. You have to expect a few scrapes when your a new driver. i’ve had my share of mishaps in the 2 months i’ve been driving artics.

howatsi:
I spoke to my dad about it, who was a transport manager back in the 80s/early 90s and I’m afraid I can’t print what he said, suffice to say “NO DEAL”

Regards H.

As a moderator I’m pleased that you havent tried to print what your Dad. If he was anything thing like some of the transport managers I’ve known It won’t have been
“Well that isn’t cricket my boy, best you keep looking.”

TheStonesman:
Sounds like a cowboy firm.

I didn’t know firms could operate on 3rd party insurance?

Probally don’t, but the fewer claims the better next years premuim.

howatsi:
any damage to the vehicle caused by you, has to be paid for,

Hargreaves tried this cunning trick with me (Up to £1000 insurance excess) I decided to walk and go back on the agency.

As I have always said, things can get damaged parked in the yard, how can you prove you’re not responsible?

I’d give it a miss personally…

I have to pay for any damage to my truck :wink: