Strallis

Got to drive a 6 wheel Srallis 430 tractor unit today. Auto gearbox is great on the road but have to say I missed that organic link that you have between you and the drive wheels with a clutch pedal whilst reversing and manouvering in confined spaces. Would probably get used to it but it does feel strange. :slight_smile:

We have those as well and everyone hates driving them since the rest of the fleet are Volvo’s. Talking to the other drivers and they reverse with one foot on gas, one on the brake to give them the control - going to try that next time I am in one !!

G

The new ones are fine when you get used to them. Make sure you are in reverse low,gentle on the gas and it knows you are reversing under a trailer when you get so far,slight pause,then gently under the rest of the way. It remaps the engine mamagement system.
If you left foot brake you just confuse the system.
Lovely easy truck to drive.If they found some way of steering it I could lay on bed all day!

Real truck drivers use eaton-fuller gearboxes and don’t use the clutch except for starting and stopping! :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Anything for an easy life,year 2005 equals no clutch at all.

Well, allikat, with synchromesh gearbox you can start and stop without clutch and still change gears without clutch… :wink: :laughing: (empty wagon which clutch decided to stop working when I was waiting to turn from main road)

Guide to Making Stralis Autos Behave - CLICK HERE :wink:

Kyrbo:
Well, allikat, with synchromesh gearbox you can start and stop without clutch and still change gears without clutch… :wink: :laughing: (empty wagon which clutch decided to stop working when I was waiting to turn from main road)

the zf’s they put in the merc sk’s was easy enough to just run through, which was just as well given the pulling power of a 1625/26/28 :laughing: , all syncro boxes had an heavy stick though. id love to try an auto, its aidle ■■■■■■■■ dream!

Lucy, hadn’t seen that before, nice one. Most of my limited experience has been driving Stralis auto and I loved the thing,seemed to be in a minority though. Never had any trouble manouvering, backwards or forwards. Unlike, I think it was a Merc,we had on hire which was a nightmare to reverse. Didn’t have it long enough to get used to it. The only problem I had with the Stralis was rolling on at junctions. I’d approach a junction slowly see it was clear accelerate and the thing would just sit there trying to decide which gear to select. It took me a while but I sussed it. Slow down a bit earlier on the aproach to the junction, press gently on the accelerator and it would change down keeping foot gently on the pedal it would stay in that gear giving me the option of stopping or moving off smoothly. Got to admit I drove it in auto most of the time as it was supposed to be more economical as long as you didn’t put the pedal to the metal all the time.

Mal, you have to try a modern auto box :smiley:

To be fair the Stralis was the first modern truck I had used with a fully auto setup, but I have since been given a Volvo with I-Shift and I cannot fault it, except to say that I have forgotten how to drive my car :stuck_out_tongue:

I keep coming up to roundabouts in the car and wonder why it is juddering so much :laughing:

Malc, I need to youre right! I need to try one, but id be spoilt for certain!

I used to dream about an allison or even those ones in the 2 pedal beaver when we were running steel from the yorkshire are down through the black country and into worcs. I bet you can remember if you ever did that run just how much pain it was ,regarding the 100’s of gear changes, from the shire oak lights to stourbridge, lye,or breierly hill ect! the throttle was heavier with the sedd ack + gardner than the clutch is on a modern motor! :laughing: :laughing: