Automatic with a clutch?!?!

Today i had the dubious pleasure of an automatic Scania, that had a clutch?? Just exactly WTF is that all about then??

It was AWFUL to drive! i stalled the bugger on more than 1 occasion, it was gutless and generally a hateful thing!

also how do you classify them?? Are they a semi automatic, or a semi manual?? im confused!! :laughing: :laughing:

:slight_smile:

B…

Wisemen trucks are like that but you get used to it as you drive it more. I hated hill starts though

Bring back proper boxes…Eaton twinsplits are the best , all this crappy technology always dies with electronics faults that cost more to repair than they save in economy !
Perhaps then standards of driving will improve!
Who agrees ?

3 wheeler:
Bring back proper boxes…Eaton twinsplits are the best , all this crappy technology always dies with electronics faults that cost more to repair than they save in economy !
Perhaps then standards of driving will improve!
Who agrees ?

agreed! I regularly drive an 8 wheel scania with a proper 4/4 manual, and its the dogs nutz! all its missing is a splitter, as it can get hard work on long uphills! :laughing:

not had the pleasure of a splitter yet :frowning:

Cheers

B…

It does get easier! First time I drove one I hated it and stalled it loads if times but I quite like them now. With the gear stick (if you can call it that (right hand stalk)), press the button in at the end for manual. You can also push/pull the stalk to drop a gear when approaching hills. They can however be slow and clumsy gearboxes but the majority of the time I find them to be ok.

I do agree though the 4/4’s are good, they are in the G400 units. Nothing better than a good manual gearbox. Try doing a fast gear change from 4th-5th - Crunch!!

Tarrman:
It does get easier! First time I drove one I hated it and stalled it loads if times but I quite like them now. With the gear stick (if you can call it that (right hand stalk)), press the button in at the end for manual. You can also push/pull the stalk to drop a gear when approaching hills. They can however be slow and clumsy gearboxes but the majority of the time I find them to be ok.

There was no button on the end of the stalk i was looking for it! :frowning: think they disabled it…

Tarrman:
I do agree though the 4/4’s are good, they are in the G400 units. Nothing better than a good manual gearbox. Try doing a fast gear change from 4th-5th - Crunch!!

yep, guilty as charged! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the ones i drive regular are on 8 wheel 114 320’s, great fun to drive and all the control you could ever need :slight_smile:

B…

"Bungle666:

Tarrman:

yep, guilty as charged! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: the ones i drive regular are on 8 wheel 114 320’s, great fun to drive and all the control you could ever need :slight_smile:

B…

Agreed :smiley: :smiley:

If you lads like those boxes then you would love an eaton twin split as 3 wheels suggests or maybe even a fuller 9 speed! :grimacing:

can’t see the point in the clutch myself… recently mentioned this to the Scania rep who handed over our new 3-pedal auto rigid, and he trotted out the 'improved ‘low speed manouverability’ party line. When I said our office had yet to receive a call from one of our Volvo (I-shift) drivers complaining of not being able to get in somewhere due to their lack of a clutch, he changed the topic!

GCR2ERF:
can’t see the point in the clutch myself… recently mentioned this to the Scania rep who handed over our new 3-pedal auto rigid, and he trotted out the 'improved ‘low speed manouverability’ party line. When I said our office had yet to receive a call from one of our Volvo (I-shift) drivers complaining of not being able to get in somewhere due to their lack of a clutch, he changed the topic!

Low speed manoeuvres is the only reason I can think of for having a clutch.
In response to your Volvo argument, have you ever tried to reverse a auto MAN? I’d love a clutch in one of those.

m1cks:

GCR2ERF:

In response to your Volvo argument, have you ever tried to reverse a auto MAN? I’d love a clutch in one of those.

but (frankly) its ■■■■■■ your using the clutch to assist low speed maneuverability and your CONSTANTLY fighting the clutches in the autobox! makes it VERY VERY jerky and horrid to say the least! i’ve driven LOADS of fully autos, and TBH i find the low speed maneuverability absolutely fine!

TBH driving the 3 pedal auto made me feel like someone had robbed my gearstick! :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers

B… :slight_smile:

mickyblue:
Wisemen trucks are like that but you get used to it as you drive it more. I hated hill starts though

Yep, hated the things myself. Don’t see the point of an automatic gearbox that requires the driver to over ride so much… just give us a gear stick. I used to drive them in manual mode whenever I wasn’t knocking about in busy towns looking for drops etc.

Pulled up to one of our places, nice and tidy, the female security guard looked up with as much interest as not having her kebab licked for a month, and I only forget the ■■■■■■■ thing called the clutch, stagger forward and stop a gnats ball-bag from the barrier.

Silent, pregnant pause moment took place, and she said, “You a new agency driver then ?”

Hook line and sinker… :sunglasses:

I like them, probably because I can adapt and drive anything that’s put in front of me. Some people can drive, some can’t, don’t worry about it just do the best you can :slight_smile: :wink:

I like them too, well as much as anyone could actually like an automated manual (Volvo excepted which is as good as they get), being able to control clutch on tight manoeuvers makes all the difference, need to drive the Scania in manual override in MH to get the best from it on the road especially at junctions.

edit…oh and depending on the load and power available (HP badge means nothing) you might need to adjust the gearboxes start gear, whilst 3rd or 4th will do for empty you need 2nd in a 420 or 1st in a fully laden 440 to get the thing rolling.

If you can’t fathom how to reset the start gear and its a bit of a bugger to do, then flick it down via the gearchange lever to a more suitable start gear whenever necessary.

On the two Swedish makes you need autos really cos their manual boxes are rubbish.

Bungle666:

m1cks:

GCR2ERF:

but (frankly) its [zb]! your using the clutch to assist low speed maneuverability and your CONSTANTLY fighting the clutches in the autobox! makes it VERY VERY jerky and horrid to say the least! i’ve driven LOADS of fully autos, and TBH i find the low speed maneuverability absolutely fine!

TBH driving the 3 pedal auto made me feel like someone had robbed my gearstick! :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers

So you have driven LOADS of fully automatic trucks have you ? Was that in a volvo,I-shift ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ) or Daf ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ) or Iveco ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ). Can you see the pattern here ? Unless you are driving bin motors,with a real automatic (ie Allison) gearbox-then they are all the same. The difference is that Scania put a clutch in to aid low speed control ( either that or they couldn’t make it work as well as Volvo ).
If you are managing to stall it in normal driving,take it to the dealer because their is something VERY wrong with it. If you are stalling it coming to a halt,learn to use it better,ie remember it has a clutch pedal. As for the other poster who had trouble with hill starts-It’s GOT a clutch–why is this harder for you ■■
Driving different gearbox’s is part and parcel of being a truck driver (or it used to be ). God help you with a fuller or eaton box.

m1cks:
have you ever tried to reverse a auto MAN? I’d love a clutch in one of those.

I have to agree with you on that. They feel like they want to give you full power when reversing; there’s not even a maneuvering mode to slow it down. The 16 speed box with comfort shift is a far better product. I’ve driven a fair few MANs lately and have come to the conclusion they’re the worst unit on the market.

MAN have the RM ( reverse manoeuvre option) or is it only in certain units?

Juddian:
I like them too, well as much as anyone could actually like an automated manual (Volvo excepted which is as good as they get), being able to control clutch on tight manoeuvers makes all the difference, need to drive the Scania in manual override in MH to get the best from it on the road especially at junctions.

edit…oh and depending on the load and power available (HP badge means nothing) you might need to adjust the gearboxes start gear, whilst 3rd or 4th will do for empty you need 2nd in a 420 or 1st in a fully laden 440 to get the thing rolling.

If you can’t fathom how to reset the start gear and its a bit of a bugger to do, then flick it down via the gearchange lever to a more suitable start gear whenever necessary.

On the two Swedish makes you need autos really cos their manual boxes are rubbish.

this had no manual over-ride, which was a shame as i wanted too see if it improved things! I think the operator had hem set up for full “eco” operation, as you couldn’t get them to kick down properly either!

Skippy70:

Bungle666:

m1cks:

GCR2ERF:

but (frankly) its [zb]! your using the clutch to assist low speed maneuverability and your CONSTANTLY fighting the clutches in the autobox! makes it VERY VERY jerky and horrid to say the least! i’ve driven LOADS of fully autos, and TBH i find the low speed maneuverability absolutely fine!

Cheers

So you have driven LOADS of fully automatic trucks have you ? Was that in a volvo,I-shift ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ) or Daf ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ) or Iveco ? ( manual gearbox with electronic control ). Can you see the pattern here ? Unless you are driving bin motors,with a real automatic (ie Allison) gearbox-then they are all the same. The difference is that Scania put a clutch in to aid low speed control ( either that or they couldn’t make it work as well as Volvo ).
If you are managing to stall it in normal driving,take it to the dealer because their is something VERY wrong with it. If you are stalling it coming to a halt,learn to use it better,ie remember it has a clutch pedal. As for the other poster who had trouble with hill starts-It’s GOT a clutch–why is this harder for you ■■
Driving different gearbox’s is part and parcel of being a truck driver (or it used to be ). God help you with a fuller or eaton box.

well, not quite trucks… mainly busses (11 years service) but they are essentially the same! mainly voith, ZF, and allison trasmissions, leyland hydro cyclic, leyland semi auto… as for trucks… Daf, Daf with a voith transmission, iveco and now this horrid 3 pedal auto scania!

gimme a manual ANY day! im sure i could manage with an eaton fuller just fine!

B…

I drive one every weekend and still hate them. Who ever it was that had too many down the pub before putting going into design studio should be shot.

It’s either an auto with no clutch or a manual with a clutch. Yuck. !!