Automatic Gearbox

I have a job on tomorrow for cadburys and
have been told I will be driving a new volvo
truck and was wondering how you use a
automatic gearbox just in case it as one :question: .

Cheers :slight_smile:

Just put it in ‘A’ and put your foot down (assuming it’s an I-shift box).

:laughing:

Personally if they offered me an I-shift Volvo I’d ask for something else with a manual box as I don’t like to find myself sat at doughnuts and traffic lights with my foot down waiting for 5 minutes until the computer works out which gear to pull away in :angry: .

Cheers Rob :smiley:

Convoy If it is a auto box take your time at roundabouts and junctions. Rob is spot on you try and get away quick when you see a gap in the traffic and they don’t move until it’s decided which gear to use by which time the gap gone and it decides to pull out. It can be scary if your not expecting it. when you get used to them its not so bad. Having driven one for a few months now I like them, though it is nice to drive something with gears for change.
They vary in the way they work and I haven’t driven a Volvo so I can’t help with that.

It turned out to be a manual gearbox after all
4 over 4 range change :smiley:

FL7 defiantly better than the FL6 Volvo :smiley:

A Couple Of Cab Pic’s

And a spot of Lunch at pearls cafe as it has the
Rob K stamp of approval and I agree defiantly
worth a visit :smiley:

Good photo’s, decent looking truck as well.

It was a decent truck and one of the best I
have driven so far. I have driven 2 volvos
which was the FL6’s and they did the job
but was not a great drive but this FL7 was
better to drive and was 12.5 height wise so
not to big but had a bigish bed for nights out.

:smiley: That does look like a tidy one, most unusual. Must have a regular driver on it ■■ :slight_smile:

4 over 4 range change on an 18 tonner, is that common?

mrpj:
4 over 4 range change on an 18 tonner, is that common?

I think so, I have driven about 15 different rigids now (most 18 tonners) and only two have had 6 speed boxes, the rest have been 4 over 4.

G

What kind of vehicles you been driving Gazzareth :question:
has this is the first one I have driven with a range change
gearbox all mine have been 6 speed until today

FM7 uses the same cab as the FM12 iirc. The only difference is the size of the engine underneath you and the box. They are nice to drive but then again so is anything after an FL6 :open_mouth: .

From my rigid driving days I found that Iveco’s, Atego’s and FL6’s were straight 6 speed boxes and DAF’s, Scania’s, FM’s and ERF’s were 8 speeds on a 4 over 4 layout. The MAN’s were also 8 speeds but on a slap across layout.

I did drive an Atego 280 draw bar once and that had a straight six speed box but with a splitter on every gear. Rather unusual but it worked well.

Glad you liked Pearl’s, convoy :smiley: . They’re a bit ‘no nonsense’ in there and the place looks a bit grotty but the food’s good :smiley: . It’s far better than the one at the top of the road where you come down from the A1 if you’ve come down from Ferrybridge end :smiley: .

Do you mean that one in that lay-by near that lake :question:

convoy:
Do you mean that one in that lay-by near that lake :question:

No. Where you are at Pearl’s, go up to the doughnut with Londis on your left, turn right off the main road and go up to the end which is the junction with the A1. There’s a cafe on the left there, in the lay-by. The food’s alright from there actually, but it’s pricey in comparison to Pearl’s.