Still as tough as ever to get a start?

Hi everyone,
havent been on for a while but last year i considered doing my class C then onto my class C+E. After alot of advice on here and from drivers i spoke to ( im a forklift driver) i decided to postpone it for a while. Reason being was people were telling my how difficult it is to get a start once youve passed. Is it still the same or is it looking up a bit now? Its something i really want to do but iv been put of by people saying agency mess you about etc Im going to do my training with town and country just outside liverpool.

whats the best way of getting that first start after you pass?alot of jobs on jobcentre site are asking for 18 months experience!

Thank you any advice is much appreciated

If anything it is a lot worse now than last year due to a lot more jobs going

you will get annoyed and you will get frustrated getting told that you need anything from 6 months to 2 years experience everywhere you enquire about vacancies, but if you keep trying you will get a start, just dont let the knock backs get you down.

a company i was working for paid for my class 2, so i got lucky and got straight into it the day after i passed, but after i moved to another part of the country Nov 2010 and done my class 1, i had the knock backs, itreally got to me, but i stuck at it, i was doing class 2 agency work for TDG and let them know i had class 1 also, i reminded them every week i was willing to drive class 1 if they needed me, then 1 day they assessed me and away i went, have been driving for them for the last 7 months so i must be doing something right.

i would also recommend doing your class 1 straight after doing your class 2, otherwise you will only have to go through the whole process of the experience thing again.

goodluck and keep at it :smiley:

I’m really pleased to say i’ve had a call from a trainee of mine today who passed his C+E 14th June last month. He’s been for an assessment with Eddie Stobarts and starts with them full time next month.
Not bad for a driver with no experience.
Stobarts have now taken on 3 drivers who i’ve trained in the last 6 months, all have gone there with NO C+E experience.
If only more companies would give newly qualified drivers the chance and further continue the driving skills in real life. Allowing drivers to add to the skills they’ve been taught without adding the bad habits.
I take my hat off to Stobarts. :smiley:

Tunny43:
I’m really pleased to say i’ve had a call from a trainee of mine today who passed his C+E 14th June last month. He’s been for an assessment with Eddie Stobarts and starts with them full time next month.
Stobarts have now taken on 3 drivers who i’ve trained in the last 6 months, all have gone there with NO C+E experience.
If only more companies would give newly qualified drivers the chance and further continue the driving skills in real life. Allowing drivers to add to the skills they’ve been taught without adding the bad habits.

I wish there was a like button for this. I agree with you that more companies should be willing to take on new drivers as the older ones have to retire at some point right?, so new drivers are going to be needed IMO.

KittyKat:

Tunny43:

I wish there was a like button for this. I agree with you that more companies should be willing to take on new drivers as the older ones have to retire at some point right?, so new drivers are going to be needed IMO.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea for the companies with older drivers nearing retirement age to give them a new driver to show the ropes. So no bad habits coming into the game and hopefully the experience of the older wiser driver to help them along. or am i being a bit naive?? :confused:

Wouldn’t it be a good idea for the companies with older drivers nearing retirement age to give them a new driver to show the ropes. So no bad habits coming into the game and hopefully the experience of the older wiser driver to help them along. or am i being a bit naive??

As some one whos going to be a new driver soon i think this is a great idea, i know how nervous im going to be but i suppose everyone has had to start somewhere! Im defo gonna do it and just persist until i get a start!

Does anyone know any good driving agencys in the north west??

But didnt this happen years ago when they nearly all had " drivers mate " then they in turn would move up to driver & so on so not really a new idea just going back to what it used to be

A good idea as this would bring new drivers in with out the job feeling daunting but you learn on the job this is also on going training