How hard is it getting jobs?

I’ve just passed my class c and will be booking my c+e on monday but now I’ve actually got part way to where I want to be I’m starting to look at jobs and am seeing at least 2 years experience everywhere. Now I don’t have a problem working my way up but how do we get experience ?
If I go to an agency do they tend to throw you at 7.5tonne multidrop ?
What is a realistic view for me to have ?
I will be getting in touch with haulage firms local to me and generally getting my cv out there but considering I’m paying out up to £3k with cpc etc (if you add up all you spend to get c+e) it does seem a lot of money without acheiving your goal.
Sorry if it comes across as a moan but with all the driving jobs out there are newly qualified drivers really that bad , we’ve all been road users for a good number of years and although it is different in a hgv we’re made well aware of that when we learn .
So in conclusion how good or bad is it to get jobs for the newly qualified?

It’s almost “how long is a piece of string?” It seems to vary between geographical areas with some being easier than others. If your approaches to operators don’t come up trumps, then go down the agency route. Whilst not perfect, this is often used as the starting place.

In our area (Nth Notts) we have operators who don’t have problems employing new drivers, but I don’t know where you are.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Some companies up here will take on new drivers but dont know where you are

You have to go looking for the jobs not all want 2 years experience there are job out there but you really have to look for them

This is also not the best time as work can be quiet at this time of year I passed my CE couple years back late in Jan took till end of march early april before I secured a full time job just dont give up

Thanks for the replies I’m in Norwich and although I’m not expecting to walk straight into an artic job and am prepared to work up this is the first real bit of looking I have done as now the class c is out of the way the c+e hopefully wont be to far so I’m now getting to the point of looking for jobs and depending what date for my c+e I’m given on monday starting work before then . I was also hoping that potential employers would see that if I’m prepared to pocket the cost of my training to get the licences that it would also show commitment .
One of the lads training last week was doing his c+e having passed his class c in november and got a job with a local firm called Bartrums so I know it’s possible it’s just scary when all the adverts quote 2 years experience . I’ve not actually asked anyone yet as I want all my tests done and passed but at this stage I thought it best to enquire and start sending out cv’s .

Gillberry:
I was also hoping that potential employers would see that if I’m prepared to pocket the cost of my training to get the licences that it would also show commitment.

Every other candidate going for those jobs has pretty much paid for their own training so you’re no exception, sorry…

Gillberry:
Thanks for the replies I’m in Norwich and although I’m not expecting to walk straight into an artic job and am prepared to work up this is the first real bit of looking I have done as now the class c is out of the way the c+e hopefully wont be to far so I’m now getting to the point of looking for jobs and depending what date for my c+e I’m given on monday starting work before then . I was also hoping that potential employers would see that if I’m prepared to pocket the cost of my training to get the licences that it would also show commitment .
One of the lads training last week was doing his c+e having passed his class c in november and got a job with a local firm called Bartrums so I know it’s possible it’s just scary when all the adverts quote 2 years experience . I’ve not actually asked anyone yet as I want all my tests done and passed but at this stage I thought it best to enquire and start sending out cv’s .

Don’t let the adverts put you off but keep knocking on doors. As I’ve seen mentioned on here before, give your local pallet distribution firm (PalletLine, PalletForce and the like) a try. It’s not a guarantee of work and it is hard work but you can only ask!

I live in Norwich gillberry , passed my test class c in July , and my c+e in September , there are jobs in the area ,
My situation changed and I decided I was going to stay where I am for another six months , so I ask my current if I could do " casual work "
And foulgers snapped me up pretty quickly for that one ,and I’ve been running sugar beet around thetford / garboldisham / ixworth bury st edmounds way on Saturdays and the odd day off from my regular
The thing is now I’ve been chatting to some of the other drivers in the area , they’ve been saying "have you tried ( inset firm name here ) they’ll be willing to give you a go "
Go knock on doors if you don’t try you’ll never know , in the meantime here’s fleet 117 which up until now has been my regular truck

Thanks for the replies , I have no problem approaching local companies but before doing so it is nice to hear that others have completed their licenses and then gone out and got jobs .
This post had 2 points , first to reassure myself and second for all those now starting the learning process they can see that it’s not in vain there are jobs .

Can only really echo what the lads on here have said, there is work out there.

I’d recommend jumping on agency work Asap. Some of its good, some of its bad, but it’s all experience. Having a full cpc can also be a deal maker sometimes.

Good luck in future endeavours. Write us a diary on the newbie section to let us know how it went.