Class 1

Hi all!
Passed my Class 2 in June and have been doing various wagon work since, mainly
Multi drop which I’m not keen on tbh.
Seriously considering taking the plunge and taking my class 1. Anyone think lack of class 1 experience would prevent me from finding a permanent (or even agency) position?
Heard great things about Chevron training school, any ideas on prices?

Cheers

Tony.

Chevmac (John) is the owner of chevron and a member of this site so why not PM him = ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=27332

If you can afford to do then why not, im sure class 2 EXP will count toward some type of class1 work, providing it has been uneventful.

how bad do you want it :laughing:

its very close to holidays, and snow time (or not)

maybe worth thinking about it in the spring if your not sure now.
also do you think you have what it takes to pass ? :laughing:

when you passed class 2 you had no EXP but have now.

What was happening is this …
Employers would see how long you have held the licence category for the job you were going after and then put a time limit on how long you needed to have held that particular category for but now it seems that with there being less drivers about that sort of thing is fast becoming obsolete

bluetone80:
Anyone think lack of class 1 experience would prevent me from finding a permanent (or even agency) position? Tony.

Based on my very limited experience so far in North West England, the “biggest” agency will not be at all positive about the “prospects” for a newly qualified class 1 driver!

Unless you can comfortably afford to spend the money to obtain your class 1 at the present time, I would recommend waiting until you can comfortably afford it as it seems that passing your test only gets you over the start line, the real big hurdle seems to be getting your 1st assignment/role.

I’ve only approached a couple of agencies so far & have not applied for actual jobs as that’s not what I want to do at the moment.

I booked an extra day & a half training over & above what the instructor recommended as I figured I’d rather spend another £300 on extra training & achieve a 1st time pass (which I did) rather than spend another £300 on a retest following a 1st time fail.

Good luck!

Rgds.

A.

Thanks very much everyone.
It’s crazy really because there does appear to be a UK wide shortage of class 1 drivers but still demands for at least 12 months experience?
Can see changes this year with companies having to think long term with training and recruitment.
Think it’s worth doing and having it on my license even just to sit there clocking up time. Madness!
Tony.

i think also convincing them with absolute confidence in yourself to take any load anywhere attitude, may win the day, whether you can back that up though is down to you.
if it were down to me i would rather give someone who just passed the test a chance, than someone who passed a year ago and done none.

Chevron is a good choice.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it. Passed my class 2 and class 1 with Chevron. Can’t recommend them enough.