Sterling lgv training, they've had me off with my deposit

hey again guys,
some of you may remember my first post on here regarding my course that i’d booked with sterling lgv training in november 08.
well, i’ve been trying and trying and trying to get my deposit refunded as i cancelled within’ there 10 day agreement ( although there now claiming i hadn’t ). when i cancelled my course with said company they asked for a letter to be send regarding cancelling, an to ask for a refund to be paid back to the account. which i did, which they lost ( probably disgarded n thrown away. )
well since then i rang the company, to see why my refund hadn’t appeared in my account. they said to send an email with said letter attached. so i did. 22/12/08. still no response from the company.
so i rang the company, an was told to send the email again to a different person, so said he’d pass it onto the person whom it concerned.
i received a letter back today.
saying that i’d missed the 10 day money back agreement and that i’d receive no refund. as my email was dated 22/12/08, that it was out of the agreement i signed upto.
this company had me off by losing my letter, then basically claiming that i hadn’t cancelled the course the day after i booked it.

very mad at the moment.
just lost me job, an now have to fork out an extra £249 cause the company lost my letter. an don’t have it on record that i cancelled the day later.
my card companys dispute team won’t even deal with claim. even tho it is on record that i rang ( card company ) the day later to try to cancel the payment before it was to late.

what can i do?
i’m awaiting a phone call from sterling, but i’m not holding my breathe.

sounds like you are going to have to kiss that money goodbye :angry: :frowning:

Just a lesson learned for the future - always send such letters by recorded delivery and keep a copy.
Perhaps a letter backed up by e-mail as that is date evidenced as well.

kissed my money good bye!
think i’ve also kissed my dream goodbye of being a trucker 2 :unamused:

ah well,…

If I were you, I’d send the original cancellation letter along with a copy of your e-mail to them again, recorded delivery, with an accompanying letter demanding your deposit back on the basis that you had cancelled within the 10 day grace period. State that if you do not receive a refund that you will seek legal advice. If that doesn’t work then you can pursue them through the small claims court which will be more hassle for them than you and may convince them to refund you.

Isn’t it about time that Esther Rantzen or Matt Albarn became a trucker?

Wheel Nut:
Isn’t it about time that Esther Rantzen or Matt Albarn became a trucker?

shoots off to email the bbc

mate, send them a letter - recorded delivery with royal mail, saying you give them x amount of days to refund you. and say that you have taken the case to trading standards, and also a legal team, and if the money is not refunded by x date, you will take them to the small claims court

here you goe, a template letter, well worth a go mate. you want to write a ‘Letter Before Action’ letter

consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_ … re_action/

I say we hold the forum do down at basildon and kick their mofoing arses!

When I had my little run-in with Sterling I contacted Essex Trading Standards office directly 01245-341888 (don’t bother with the Consumer Direct number - waste of space). The chap there (Nick, maybe?) was well aware of Sterling, but said they usually responded if he called with a complaint, so that may be the way to go.

thanks for your replys and helpful comments

i’ve composed a letter using robin_A’s link, which will be getting posted ’ recorded delivery ’ on monday.
i need to get this money back, so will if needed take them to the small claims court, if needed.

i checked my first letter this morning, an i hadn’t post dated it :frowning: but on looking in properties, it is saved on my computer as being created on the 28/11/2008 so i’ll be able to use that, should i need to take it further.

once again guys, thanks. i always seem to get the help i need, when posting on this forum.

i’ll keep you informed on how i get on.

wannabtrucker:
thanks for your replys and helpful comments

i’ve composed a letter using robin_A’s link, which will be getting posted ’ recorded delivery ’ on monday.
i need to get this money back, so will if needed take them to the small claims court, if needed.

i checked my first letter this morning, an i hadn’t post dated it :frowning: but on looking in properties, it is saved on my computer as being created on the 28/11/2008 so i’ll be able to use that, should i need to take it further.

once again guys, thanks. i always seem to get the help i need, when posting on this forum.

i’ll keep you informed on how i get on.

I would do a screen dump of the property box too and print that off. Dont let the zb’s have you over

I’m sure that you can threaten to take someone to small claims anywhere in the country, not just where you or they are. A trip to Inverness is a bit of a pain and might encourage a refund.

If you need any help with a case in the small claims court, I have a rather large wedge of court documentation showing thier reputation you can have :smiling_imp: I’m thinking showing the judge just how bad they are will win the battle, go for damages too.

If anyone wants any help with court cases against sterling, let me know. Mine is coming up soon. :unamused:

If you paid the full amount worst case scenario still do the course

oR JUST turn up and errrr borrow the keys ?

Borrow them then give them back after you speak to them on the phone ?

I quite surprised they’ve got away with stitching people up for this long!

I spotted their web site and compared to the others they offered a good deal. I then phoned around and they still appeared to offer more than other training establishments.

So I phoned Sterling and spoke to a Mr King, who was very very keen to point out the free guarentee that came with the Road King package. I paid my deposit of £240 odd quid and was sent a brochure.

On reading it things didnt seem to be right. I then mentioned them to a trucker mate, who told me to check out this site.

Well ROG was quick to give me a fair explanation, and a link to Heathers site. (I have put a message on it and you alll aught too).

I asked Sterling for my money back, and they refused, I have spoken to my solicitor (you may find you have a free one with your home insurance, car insurance or RAC,AA package).

Small claims can be made as the contract will not hold if there has been misrepresentation. In other words, If you have been told one thing and given another.

If you have paid by credit card, get on to them strait away. They can stop the payment if the service or product is not what it is claimed to be.

By the way, the people at Sterling who I have no doubt will be reading this. I have to say to you that you are taking money from those who cannot afford to waste it, and have entered into a contract with you in good faith. You are ripping them off and not even trying to offer them what you claim to when they first come to you. You are stupid and short sighted for although you may think it is clever to take money from people, they will get you in the end, and will keep coming. In fact you are hurting people more than you think or care for that matter. I hope that you see the light, refund those who are not happy and drasticly improve the service you offer.

I strongly urge anyone with a greivance with Sterling to be strong and follow it through to the end.

Thank you Truck Net for stainding up for us all.

(I edited this text on 14/01/09)

:angry:

michael_dinwiddy:
Thank you Truck Net for stainding up for us all.

This site is unable to publically say certain things due to possible legal actions but that does not stop them & members from giving a general overall view on national training companies.

This is one of the reasons that I have not specifically mentioned any certain companies in my replies to you because although I am not part of the team that run this site, it might be seen as such - it saves the thread or individual post from being removed by those that do run this site.

Mentioning your experience from a personal point of view is a different matter which is why I believe it has not been removed.

I’m sure those that do run this site will correct me if I am wrong :slight_smile:

Perhaps I should clarify my point…

Thank you Truck Net for providing a forum by which my personal view can be made.

ROG:
Mentioning your experience from a personal point of view is a different matter which is why I believe it has not been removed

OH but this guy could be any one who is to say he really booked with the afore mentioned company. ?

Seems the admin removes posts as he sees fit .

This is clearly an attack on a ceratain company of which needs attacking but should the original post stay with out Any proof it really happened ?