Really need some advice please read :)

Hi all sorry this is my first post please be gentle

I paid a training company just over 1300 for cat c lessons anyway I arrived for my first day training and the van wasn’t available so the instructor went and borrowed a c1! I think I should of been contacted and made aware of the problem so we could of rearranged but I only found out when I turned up I wasn’t asked if this was ok so went along with it as I was assured it would be collected later that day.
I was told will defiantly be ready for tomorrow’s lesson so I turn up and it wasn’t available again this time I was given a c+e with no trailer. I wasn’t happy at all and was assured it would be ready the next day well again I turned up and it wasn’t. My driving test was a few days away and I was yet to drive in the correct size lorry they then tried to talk me round to just doing the c1 instead of what I paid for so rang the Mrs who really done her nut and she said leave and go home there was no way I would pass my test I hadn’t even reversed yet.
Personally I feel a full refund is in order they couldn’t provide what I paid for but the company is saying less than half of my money back is what I’m entitled to I was only there for 2 days the 3rd day I left as soon as they said no van again I was back home for 9am please help what would you guys do in this situation thanks
I’m not mentioning any names just yet :slight_smile:

Write a letter explaining your reasons for dissatisfaction and send it recorded delivery. Keep a copy. Ask for a full refund of your fees as they were unable to fulfil their side of the contract. Give them 14 days to produce the refund.

If it doesn’t arrive, send another letter (recorded) and give them 7 days notice of court proceedings. This should mention that any recovery costs will be added to the original sum.

If there is no response within the given time, visit your Small Claims Court and issue a summons. (Got a feeling you can do this online).

Such a shame that the company didn’t sort it out better. We all have problems from time to time (things mechanical will, and do, go wrong) but it’s down to how it’s sorted IMO.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Pete much appreciated I do get things go wrong and it really wouldn’t of been an issue if they had of just told me then fair enough I would of just rearranged for to start another day. I wouldn’t of been to bothered for one day doing the c1 but then to be changed to c+e then the third day was c1 again I just wasn’t getting used to gears or size of the vans.
They just seemed to be fobbing me off everyday and with my test approaching what if they didn’t get it back at all I just didn’t know what to do but I fulfilled my part of the contract I turned up on time each day pity they couldn’t do the same
I have issued a letter sent recorded I asked for full refund they replied with a less than half of what I paid offer :frowning: so now don’t know what to do as I need that money to pay for training somewhere else

As Peter above says, they’ve breached their side of the contract. Sale of services (in this case training) is exactly the same as sale of goods, it must be as described and fit for purpose.

“There are now also new, clear rules for what should happen if a service is not provided with reasonable care and skill or as agreed. For example, the business that provided the service must bring it into line with what was agreed with the customer or, if this is not practical, must give some money back.”

citizensadvice.org.uk/about … -act-2015/

Stand your ground, get proper advice if you need it.
Good luck
Cavey

Thank you very interesting read :slight_smile: they did offer some money back but less than half for 2 days so in not sure where to go from here you think I should still ask for more thanks all

If you paid by card can you not claim it back on that.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I paid by my debit card unfortunately

Pretty sure debit cards are included in charge back now, it’s certainly worth checking with your bank.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Ryan101:
Thank you very interesting read :slight_smile: they did offer some money back but less than half for 2 days so in not sure where to go from here you think I should still ask for more thanks all

If I were you I’d want a full refund because nothing they offered was what was expected.
Give Citizens Advice a ring and get proper advice.
Cavey

Will give them a call thanks

NAME AND SHAME!

I will do I just don’t want to jepodise any refunds :wink:
I rang the bank they said since they gave some training albeit not what I paid for they can’t really help. They maybe able to try and claim the rest back if I accept the refund off the company which I really don’t want to do incase the bank can’t claim the rest so will just wait and see what happens. I have sent my second letter recorded delivery so they should get it tomorrow I am however prepared to take it all the way. They reckon this method of learning in a c1 and a c+e in prep for c is a tried and proven method that they have used in past? Anyone else had that sort of training?

You have a strong case. You paid for Cat C training you did not get Cat C training.
Would of been better if you refused to drive the 7.5t but that’s still not what you paid for.

Never heard of this before. They didn’t give you C+E training that let you drive a unit which is not the same.

I know mate I wish I had of refused it now it didn’t occur to me at the time I would be messed about so much. I waited months for the training for this to happen. The c1 I drove no problem had standard 6 gears the c+e on the other hand was 4over4 gears it juddered like mad the instructor said I wasn’t causing it? It was because no trailer was on then the service lights started coming on and beeping honestly scared the life out of me :laughing:

adam277:
NAME AND SHAME!

+1

I will do but don’t want to just yet as if this has to go to court I don’t want them saying I have lost them business :wink:

One final letter then issue a claim via money claim online.
The fact they gave you two days training is no excuse to not issue a full refund. They simply didn’t fulfil their side of the contract.
Did you gain your car licence prior to 1997? If you did you could also argue you have the c1 entitlement so training you in that type of vehicle was a waste of time.
Personally I think you’re doing the right thing by not naming them yet. Once the whole thing is sorted however I’d be shouting their name from the rooftops telling all about your experience.

They reckon this method of learning in a c1 and a c+e in prep for c is a tried and proven method

Complete poppycock! The C1 is a different animal to a C (the C will be loaded and the C1 wont be, then probably different gearboxes, vehicle dimensions, power etc etc. As for using a CE unit, never heard such a lot of nonsense!. The DVSA wont accept a unit for a CAT C test. What does that tell you?

Stick to your guns. You are entitled to a full refund. Hold out for it and take them to court if needs be.

If you need an expert witness, I’ll do it FOC.

Hate to see folks robbed.

As always, buyer beware. If I behaved like this (no chance!) you could report me to DVSA and have my accreditation called into question. As it is, you have no recourse apart from trying to get a refund.

I don’t see that naming and shaming would have any negative effect on their attitude to a refund. Possibly, quite the opposite. Assuming that you are factually correct in your version of events, and there’s no reason to think otherwise, you have nothing to loose. And you could stop other unwitting folks coming unstuck in the process.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I will name them for everyone once this is sorted either way just trading standards said not to mention them on social media or anything as they can counter claim :slight_smile:

Best to say mum about the name of the company, you don’t want to get involved in that. Once you get your refund give one of the trainers that post on here a go.

Find one in your local area first, call em for an assessment drive then give them a whirl. I personally went with PSTT but those schools are recommended by Trucknetters who passed so that speaks volumes.