Steaming out a meat trailer

Got a new job starting tommorrow, which involves hanging meat. Anybody know any websites with addresses or actual places to get a trailer steamed out after tipping? Going to be mainly France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, with a bit Of Benelux

daleyboy:
Got a new job starting tommorrow, which involves hanging meat. Anybody know any websites with addresses or actual places to get a trailer steamed out after tipping? Going to be mainly France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, with a bit Of Benelux

Hi daleyboy, I’ll guess that your boss will tell you that kind of info, and he’ll probably have places in mind where he has an account, or you’ll pay by cash or card so he’ll tell you how much he’s prepared to pay.

It may also depend on the work or the customers, cos it’s also possible that some delivery/loading places will have their own facilities that they’d prefer you to use so they know the cleaning job is freshly done to their standards.

Good luck in your new job mate. :smiley:

Thanks for the info. Doing hanging meat is something I’ve never done before. Should be quite interesting work. Just not sure if I will get used to pulling a noisy fridge about.

daleyboy:
Thanks for the info. Doing hanging meat is something I’ve never done before. Should be quite interesting work. Just not sure if I will get used to pulling a noisy fridge about.

the fridge is not the worry its the hanging meat you need to watch, take it easy around roundabouts and some big bends

Yeah been warned about the roundabouts and big bends. I imagine it’s not that different to running tanks and concrete mixers.

daleyboy:
Yeah been warned about the roundabouts and big bends. I imagine it’s not that different to running tanks and concrete mixers.

I would think it is very very different, 19 tonne of meat hung from the roof or 25 tonne of oil at the bottom of a barrel, Hmm!!!

The only similarity is that you may be able to clean the fridge out at some tank washes

Wheel Nut:

daleyboy:

I would think it is very very different, 19 tonne of meat hung from the roof or 25 tonne of oil at the bottom of a barrel, Hmm!!!

The only similarity is that you may be able to clean the fridge out at some tank washes

lol yeah I think you might be right. I think slow and steady is the way forward

daleyboy:

Dont worry daleyboy, the 15 tonne of steel on the floor that your boss hasnt mentioned yet should stop you rolling around to much!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well…someone had to say it!! :laughing: :wink: :wink:

bullitt:

daleyboy:

Dont worry daleyboy, the 15 tonne of steel on the floor that your boss hasnt mentioned yet should stop you rolling around to much!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well…someone had to say it!! :laughing: :wink: :wink:

You forgot the carpets and tractors :laughing:

I’ve been told that one of the tricks for swinging meat is to get it packed in as tightly as possible.

The way this is achieved is, once you’ve got about half a load on pull forward accelerating gently then slam the brakes on hard. Nip into the back and put a clamp on each rail to stop the sides rolling back. Reverse back onto the bay and load some more. Repeat this as often as seems reasonable.
I believe that quite often the loaders will keep you right on how many times you do this with a load.
If they won’t, ask the other drivers.

The idea is that swinging meat is hung on rails in the roof of your reefer. The shape of a side of beef means that there’s a fair bit of room between the hooks on each rail, because they all hang straight down and they’re too heavy to push sideways. Making them slam forwards into each other make them go sideways a bit to. The more you can get in the tighter its packed, the tighter its packed the less it can move and swing. The less it swings, the more stable your whole rig will be on the road.

I’ve never done swinging meat, so can’t swear to the truth of this, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.
It could be a ‘newby joke’ though. The same as tartan paint, left handed screw-drivers or record stands etc. I don’t know, but some of the drivers on here will.

Well thanks for all the replies, unfortunately its all gone ■■■■ up. I broke two ribs 3 weeks ago, was feeling ok until i loaded my car last night. In agony all night, spoke to him this morning, gave me a mouthful and has found someone else, but hey ho not to worry. Will wait till my ribs are fixed properly and will look again.

if you dont mind me asking daleyboy,who where you going to work for?

Hanging meat, first of all cleaning out, get yourself some water proofs and wellies, it gets wet in there.
a high preesure hosepipe does the job, make sure you get right in to the rails on the side of the trailer as the meat rubs along these leaving deposits in there.
give the floor a good wash out as the blood drips down there.

Good loaders make sure the meat is right to the front but sometimes ask you to give the trailer a gentle shunt, if you do it too hard the meat can fall off the hooks and you get moaned at. Make sure the rail lock are secure or you’ll find yourself trying to pickup lambs off the floor, or worse still sides of beef.
It’s not as bad as they say about the swing, if you take it easy. Don’t try and accelerate too fast let the truck do the work. Yes take it gently round roundabouts and sharp bends but you soon get used to it.
Give yourself plenty of braking space, same reason as above, a sudden push forwards can lift the meat off the hooks.

Get used to sleeping with the fridge running, constant +2 for lambs and constant +1 for beef, some customers want a read out and will reject a load that has not been at the right tempreture.

Also get used to funny working hours, such as running for a couple of hours in the morning to find you got to park up for 9 hours whilst they kill the beasts and load your trailer, then have to get the load to market or distributors for stupid oclock next morning as they are waiting for it.

Different times of year such as haide (sp) the muslim christmas, get ready for some unusual practises, such as muslims praying above where the lambs are getting killed and then rushing to where a couple of hundred other muslims are waiting for the lambs to be handballed down to them so they can take it home cook it and eat it.

But most of all enjoy it, there are some good guys working the hanging meat, they will help you out. are you running thee continent, if so you will at some point end up in Rungis market to the south of paris during the week it’s like a busy town with bars shops and cafes. at weekends it’s dead till sunday night but just 10 minutes walk away there is a shopping centre with restaurants and bars

The way this is achieved is, once you’ve got about half a load on pull forward accelerating gently then slam the brakes on hard. Nip into the back and put a clamp on each rail to stop the sides rolling back. Reverse back onto the bay and load some more. Repeat this as often as seems reasonable.
I believe that quite often the loaders will keep you right on how many times you do this with a load.
If they won’t, ask the other drivers.

The idea is that swinging meat is hung on rails in the roof of your reefer. The shape of a side of beef means that there’s a fair bit of room between the hooks on each rail, because they all hang straight down and they’re too heavy to push sideways. Making them slam forwards into each other make them go sideways a bit to. The more you can get in the tighter its packed, the tighter its packed the less it can move and swing. The less it swings, the more stable your whole rig will be on the road.

I’ve never done swinging meat, so can’t swear to the truth of this, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me.
It could be a ‘newby joke’ though. The same as tartan paint, left handed screw-drivers or record stands etc. I don’t know, but some of the drivers on here will.
[/quote]

bergen:

The way this is achieved is, < snipped > seems perfectly reasonable to me.
It could be a ‘newby joke’ though. The same as tartan paint, left handed screw-drivers or record stands etc. I don’t know, but some of the drivers on here will.[/ quote]

Your point is :question: :question:

Simon:

bergen:

It could be a ‘newby joke’ though. The same as tartan paint, left handed screw-drivers or record stands etc. I don’t know, but some of the drivers on here will.[/ quote]

There is no point that is how it’s done :grimacing:

scaniaireland:

Simon:

bergen:

There is no point that is how it’s done :grimacing:

dont knock the tractor in the fridge with the lambs, i saw it with carna transport in toulon france 1993. they took the cab out on a pallet , yer maun reversed the tractor out, they put it on the bay , tipped the lambs , back to the loading bank, drove the tractor back in , put the cab back in shut the doors and seamus was off down the road like a man possessed!

and the last poster is right , pack it in as tight as possible. try to limit the swinging action as much as possible. less swing , less roll.