Hanging meat

Been offered fridge work,but 90% of it is hanging meat which i havnt done,therefore would like some advice please… :question:

sounds like cold & heavy work if delivering to the shops.

Done in one or twice in an artic - carefull on bends as the load is hanging from the roof so the centre of gravity is a lot higher than normal.

Years ago the joke was that the Irish lads did not count the meat as part of the load as it did not touch the load. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not too bad if you’re driving it from A to B but as others have said, watch out on bends.

The only problem is if you have to unload it all. On the jobs I’ve done, it’s involved moving each side to the back, cutting the rope holding it up and throwing it in a tub. There’s always someone to help you but it gets very tiring on the arms when there’s only two of you doing a 44ft fridge.

If it’s mainly driving it from A to B and only occassionally helping offload it, I’d say go for it.

Is it for NR Evans on Dawn Foods contract by any chance because if it is, it’s most likely a trunk run and you won’t have to touch it.

Stipulate that you will never touch the load & you will be OK. Just give it plenty of welly & you will soon get the confidence you need to handle it !!
( I used to do it from Boston to Algeria & that was the advice I was given when I started )
The other thing is to buy a butchers fillet knife & you will live on the choicest cuts of fresh meat for the rest of your life. They make a big show of weighing the meat on & off .But thats all they do. As long as a side of beef is not missing then they don’t worry.

I’ve never done swinging meat. But chatted to drivers about it. One tip, for when you are loading was, just before they put the clamps on the hanging rails drive forwards, build up some speed then slam the anchors on. That makes everything slide up the rails tightly, then they put the clamps on to keep it all as tight as possible. As I said it’s something I’ve never done, so it could be a wind -up on me, but it sounds reasonable.

The Irish boys were rumoured to put the same weight of steel plate on the floor as they had swinging from the hooks. A good solid, low profile ballast :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: .

The best advice is to ask the guys actually doing the job. They know the procedures, company requirements, scams etc etc that apply to that particular job and companies.

Driving forward & slamming on is done on the loading dock & is requested by the loading crew.

I used to do swinging pig from the slaughter house to the bacon factory.
I agree with the others, take it easy accelerating/braking and smoothly thru bends. the load has the same physical effects as a unbaffled tanker load of liquids.
youll find that the loaders shunt pack the load, (ram up the load hooks with a fork lift) to get more on. dont be supprised if they load both hanging meat on the rails, and load dolavs on the deck to max out the weight.

several years ago 1 of the drivers in the yard, decided to mess about while driving up the M18 near the stockyard, by gently swerving L-R-L-R-L etc getting the hanging to swing, unfortunately he over did it, and the trailer flipped onto its side on the J1 slip road

Swingin’ Beef is not so bad. Lower centre of gravity. I drove it to Italy, Greece, Sicily & Algeria with no probs & plenty of welly. :laughing:

Hanging beef not to bad nowadays just remember when you brake hard its gonna give you a lurch especially on roundabouts most places you go nowadays you are not allowed anywhere near the meat without the ppe gear hardest thing is to find a hot wash to clean the trailer out.
I did beef from scotland and northern ireland to east germany,poland,romania,algeria, and western europe in the 70s and 80s on four axles artics with springs and they were a handful but modern trailers on air and 6 axles dont roll like the springs did

Its true about the roundabouts but they were rare outside of UK in those days.

the first load of hangin i had on was age 21 an my first load was 9 month later it was comin down from stranraer in a fh16 lhd with the owner sat at the side of me with a boat full irish lorrys behind me so you can imagine what my bottom was doin :laughing: :laughing: i was glad when i got to preston i tell ya a lot of people make out hanging work is hard work i do lambs, full sides of beef ,short fores ,sirloins all hangin an its a piece of cake we take lambs from the shetlands out to italy an beef out of shropshire to holland lambs from preston to france belgium italy spain an portugal an its all good work coz we dont touch a thing out in europe the load itself is as only as good as the people that load it if they load it loose an not put your stops on apart from the back ones every time you brake it will shift forward an when you set off it will move back also when they are loose they go round corners really bad like a bucket of [zb] if they are loaded tight stops on about every 3 or 4 stops you will hardly tell you have hangin on if you take the job just take your time till you get used to it you will be ok an once your used to it you will wonder what all the fuss was about i have been doin hangin since i was 21 an i nowadays i just drive it like i have a floor load on

If it needs stars it’s not allowed. L. :wink:

Did hanging meat (pork hams) from Holland to Italy for several years,never had to touch the load.
As has been said,it can be difficult when you are unloading in some out of the way places to find a hot wash to clean the trailer,all that meat swinging about leaves a lot of fat and grease (as well as blood) on the inside.

I was told by the old hands that you brake as you approach a bend and accelerate out of it.

The hams were injected with brine before loading,so as some of it drains away during transit the weight very rarely tallies from start to finish.

Nice in the summer for weekend BBQ’s on the road tho’ :wink:

harry:
Driving forward & slamming on is done on the loading dock & is requested by the loading crew.

So it wasn’t a wind-up on me then. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No. I but you only do it when they tell you on the loading dock. That way it makes space & gets the load tight. For a full load it used to be about three shunts. If you do it on your own make sure the spacers are re-ajusted to keep the load tight.

I done hanging beef for a while, short fores top rumps and blankets, allways loaded from headboard to doors in that order. Also occasionaly full sides of beef, and pigs and lambs, and really enjoyed it. :smiley:

Allways put all the stops in your rails, that way as allready stated, the load wont move as much. and to repeat, a full tight load, is an easy load to drive. A half load or a an unsecured load is a pain.

cutting the rope holding it up and throwing it in a tub

We used to have the Blankets, and the Short fores on rope to the hooks, but the main place i went, wouldnt let us cut the rope on the short fores, as they wanted them left on, to lift the cuts out of the dolavs. So i had to lift the short fores of the hook, its all in the swing :wink: though when somewhere getting on for 150kg plus, you do work a sweat even in a cold fridge.

Another thing, if your boss wants you to porter, make sure that its stated on your contract, eg- Driver - Porter. If you do injure yourself whilst portering, then no one can turn round and say that you shouldnt have been there. :wink:

I would do it again,

Whats a dolav?

Plastic storage boxes.When I took the hams to Parma they were all loaded in dolavs. ( And stayed in them )

JB:
Whats a dolav?

I think they’re the plastic boxes they use in abattoirs, similar size to a pallet

JB:
Whats a dolav?

dolav.com/
this is the thing used dolav.com/Products_2_/&mod=catalog&cc_id=5
they`re made in isreal in a town called…

dolav