Does anyone do much fridge work anymore?

Just interssted to see if anyone does much Fridge work these days ? And if anyone does much hanging meat ?Is it just UK or Europe ?Be interesting to see who takes what where and for who and just who the key players are now.

I worked for ADM (ANGLO DUTCH MEATS) as they were known then, for a while and did a lot of hanging meat from various abbatoirs. Re-loads were from foreign abbatoirs back to their Eastbourne depot for processing and delivery here in the UK. (Logic is there somewhere). Also loads of chocolate from Belgium, plus various of other chilled and frozen stuff too.

Having said all that, I have had Steel, Timber, Machines and allsorts in the back of a fridge! :unamused: :unamused:

I do hanging beef every week, first load of the week from our abbotoir to conset, then outbound load from there to where ever, then what ever we can get as onward load frozen or chilled to anywhere uk. but all this comes to a halt in 9 weeks when the slaughterhouse closes and we’re laid off.

I would say, judging by the amount of fridges using the ferries, it is probably 75% fridge 25% flats or tilts.

The Spanish seem to be running more curtains than fridges now, but the Irish and French are normally pulling fridges.

You can hardly get on the Portsmouth Caen boat for Laurent Pellient trucks

do hanging beef every week, first load of the week from our abbotoir to conset, then outbound load from there to where ever, then what ever we can get as onward load frozen or chilled to anywhere uk. but all this comes to a halt in 9 weeks when the slaughterhouse closes and we’re laid off

Im sorry to hear that you are being laid off. Does your abbattoir do its own distribution ?Y is it closing (especially after getting thru Foot and Mouth)?

Have you got anything lined up ? Im tyring to think of firms in Norfolk, apart from the obvious Mathews, if I come up with anything I’ll come back to you. But Best of luck with your search.

but the Irish and French are normally pulling fridges.

That’ll b the gud ol Oirish with the Chereau Fridges and Toplines! Grand!

The whole of McGeown Transport from Armagh NI ( Red/White Scania Toplines/Volvo FH’s and fridges) has been for sale in the Northern Ireland Auto Trader this past month or so,something has happened there big time :question: :exclamation: :exclamation:

The whole of McGeown Transport from Armagh NI ( Red/White Scania Toplines/Volvo FH’s and fridges) has been for sale in the Northern Ireland Auto Trader this past month or so,something has happened there big time

An Ex driver of theirs from the Republic was in the commercial motor a few weeks back, well he wasnt a driver, had a bogus licence and was caught at Larne. Heavy fines and a suspended prison sentence. Another driver was stopped in Holyhead , fined for Hours offences , that was some time ago tho!
Maybe wiht all the bad press , he’s lost some of his work, or people aint paid him! Tescos rings a bell here with that other fridge company , Wild, he was owed over £400,000 by the supermarket giant! Now gone bust I believe ?

So McGeown up for sale ? They used to run alot with Rowan( the flexible link) from the South of Iireland and I havent seen them in ages!
Wouldnt touch any of their motors, probably been round the clock twice!

I rolled with a frigo for 3 years here in France and as well as the usual chilled and frozen stuff at different times I carried;
charcoal, furniture, paraffin, turf, a zodiac (like an inshore lifeboat), etc.
Not sure how legal all this was, especially the paraffin which spilled inside and made a helluva stink :cry:

Salut, David.

Have heard that there are some companies running household removals out to Spain, Portugal, Italy etc in the back of fridges then running home with the usual fruit and veg etc!!

Sounds like quite a good idea really. Saw one truck the other day, name escapes me, who were advertising some property company on the side of the unit, running UK - Tenerife!! (very nice :sunglasses: )
Seemed like they were pushing the same type of deal.

Cheers bullitt.