Hanging meat!

As the subject says ,what’s the best way to drive with it in your trailer?
There is a skill to it .

Take it steady on bends

Fill a glass with water, put it on your dash and drive so you don’t spill any and you’ll be fine :open_mouth:

The main thing to concentrate on is keeping the meat from swinging about, so roundabouts can be a bit naughty, turning one way is fine, but then going the other way gets it swinging real good as it picks up momentum :cry:

Also make sure the stops are put in the rails as otherwise the whole load will be rolling back and forth as you brake or accelerate :wink:

get the load nice and tight, then put the locks on. Then see if you can get it any tighter.
Pigs are the worst.
Don’t brake on a bend.

Just take it nice and steady… And make sure the carcasses are locked off others wise if you brake hard after about 3 seconds they will all try and crash through the headboard…or you will try and drive onto a boat and as you go up the ramp they all slide to the back and you start to spin like mad and can’t get on the boat…

It hasn’t happened to me (thank god) but I know someone that has turned a truck and trailer over whilst carrying hanging meat and the accident resulted in a pensioner being killed after the truck rolled onto the car on a round about…

Driver ended up doing a stretch for it…

Drive as if you have all the time in the world particularly roundabouts,even more so on French roundabouts.If you think 20 mph is ok! do 10mph or even less but don’t be scared of it just
cautious.As previously stated keep it tight which involves a shunt or two during loading and using the stops.And if the fridge is screaming it’s head off,don’t panic the meat has probably not
been chilled enough and the fridge is having to work extremely hard.And if your one of the obese get in the back and give them a hand to unload does wonders for your fitness.Great job
the meat business,loved it for over 20 years ah! I almost forgot if you can’t reverse avoid going to Rungis meat market.Paris or prepare to learn quick.ENJOY!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361214994.843826.jpg

Lamb…

Good use of the handbrake dont want to stop at the traffic lights shortly after they all come to the front and shunt you forward .

26 tonnes of hanging meat on the roof, 26 tonnes of sheet steel on the floor. :wink:

Harry Monk:
26 tonnes of hanging meat on the roof, 26 tonnes of sheet steel on the floor. :wink:

Harry Monk or Paddy make your mind up what your name is :laughing:

Harry Monk:

The 1970s/1980s equivalent of ‘chalk marks around the tyres and the bays either side coned off’ :unamused:

Ireland was never much of a steel exporter and it’s a little bit difficult to load a fridge through the roof by overhead crane, plus at that time with thick walled trailers there were only four rails in the roof and at 40’ long you wouldn’t even get 26ton on the rails with beef of fully grown pigs, let alone lamb :open_mouth:

Good story for a ferry though :laughing:

newmercman:

Harry Monk:

The 1970s/1980s equivalent of ‘chalk marks around the tyres and the bays either side coned off’ :unamused:

Ireland was never much of a steel exporter and it’s a little bit difficult to load a fridge through the roof by overhead crane, plus at that time with thick walled trailers there were only four rails in the roof and at 40’ long you wouldn’t even get 26ton on the rails with beef of fully grown pigs, let alone lamb :open_mouth:

Good story for a ferry though :laughing:

Same… Heard that one a thousand times… Good reply, made me laugh… Cheers.

Even with 1300 lamb carcasses on a trailer rammed in with no room to move the weight isn’t even 21T.

Normally load 900 ish at about 16T

psv8:

Harry Monk:

Harry Monk or Paddy make your mind up what your name is :laughing:

And you’ve got to make sure your 11 year old son is driving when you are stopped, to be sure, to be sure. :wink:

limeyphil:
get the load nice and tight, then put the locks on. Then see if you can get it any tighter.
Pigs are the worst.
Don’t brake on a bend.

Even can’t keep an anti-police comment out of this thread. :laughing:

I presume it’s the same technique as tankers, keep it smooth, handbrake on if you are stationary.

WhiteWhiteWhite:
Even with 1300 lamb carcasses on a trailer rammed in with no room to move the weight isn’t even 21T.

Have you ever loaded Craven Arms? Now they know how to pack a trailer, loaded there a couple of years ago and got to Birkenhead to ship and they started debating wether to let me on or not. I asked why and was told it was 48.5 tonnes! I thought my little 440 was a bit sluggish!

That was because of all the crap in your cab…LOL

switchlogic:

WhiteWhiteWhite:

Have you ever loaded Craven Arms? Now they know how to pack a trailer, loaded there a couple of years ago and got to Birkenhead to ship and they started debating wether to let me on or not. I asked why and was told it was 48.5 tonnes! I thought my little 440 was a bit sluggish!

Lol,what about the smell of fish ?whats the best way to get rid of it .i remember my dad burning paper in the back of a fridge years ago.

Smells in fridges? Coffee granules. Or as I use that smelly stuff that comes in little bottles, can’t remember it’s name. Supposed toads it to water but undiluted it’ll get rid of smells no problem

ZOFLORA?