starting

dont think ive asked this before if i have :blush:

been having trouble starting my truck lately, it turns over really slowly to start with[ sounds like its flat battery but after its been turned over about 5 times it starts to get faster and faster till it starts, fitters said its not battery as it gets faster wheras if it was battery it would get slower then die, so they put new starter on it and its still the same , tonight when we were trying to get it to go all the dash lights seemed to be flickering on and off as it turned over, one of the lads said seeing that its battery. wondered if any ones had this as im starting to dread stopping as im sure one of these times it wont go. thanks

Yeah it is most likely a duff cell in one of the battery’s. Maybe it gets a bit faster, cos its got over the initiial load an cna carry one easy.

It does sound suspiciously like a faulty battery, not neccesarily flat, but as mentioned a dudd or failing cell.

batterys can be funny beasts

you can try a trick i had to use on an old car

turn ign on till the glow plug lamp goes out ( if its fitted)
turn off again
then tourn on and start

this seems to work because you are getting the power systems to work by warming up the battery :confused: :confused:

or you could keep defecting it till they give up and fit new batts :laughing: :laughing:

First cold morning generally finds a suspect battery out that seems fine during the summer. Its a bit chilly just now especially early doors so I would stake my guess on a duff battery that will get worse.

Alternatively, it could be a high resistance across the solenoid switch. As the motor continues to turn, the contacts get warmer and the resistance decreases.

One way to check if it is battery, is to use jump leads across from another vehicle to the existing batteries. If the situation improves - batteries.

If it doesn’t - look elswhere.