Help! Breakdown 61 plate volvo unit

Lost drive so coasted into layby. Tried to restart but no turnover. Eventually get message saying starter motor is overheated. countdown timer to retry in 20 mins.
Still no turnover.
Auto box is in neutral. and I can’t see anything else that would prevent turnover.
Tried resetting at master switch but no good.

Any ideas■■?

Try the diagnostics page in the menu, it has all sorts of different categories, engine, transmission etc.

Had a couple of probs with Volvo starter motors. After first time getting Volvo out and seeing problem I sorted it myself next time it happened.

I didn’t lose drive at all… On both occasions they just wouldn’t start after being switched off.

Starter motor is on drivers side. You can just see it if u stand just alongside and behind cab and look down towards lower part of chassis.

What happens is neg wire is thin and exposed. It eventually corrodes. I restarted mine by using a small croc clip from lead to terminal. If it is same prob as I had u will see both wire and terminal quite easy…although I got to mine from clambering underneath.

Good luck

DJC:
Try the diagnostics page in the menu, it has all sorts of different categories, engine, transmission etc.

Tried that and it just shows the low air pressure i now have.
Battery level is fine. It feels like the failsafe is preventing it from starting as if for example it wasn’t in neutral.

By the way both mine were on 61 reg and both gave same symptom of being flat battery. Turn key and nothing. Volvo fitter took 30 mins to repair but he lifted cab and 15 mins of that was making a stronger wire, which he normally carried as spares but had run out lol.

I’m sure lead is from chassis to starter but it’s the starter end that corrodes…

Thanks mucker. sounds feasible. This is an agency steering wheel attendants job today for great bear so no bits and bobs lying around to attempt a fix. Having to wait for Hartshornes and their systems are down. Been sat here 2 & 1/4 now and not even a call back. At least its 14 quid an hour today.

Ah no rush then. I always carry a part tool box and spare wire since being at my last place…mainly as winter and old trailer lighting were never a good mix and I was fed up of picking up trailers with lights out that others had just left. Could be a major fault with your starter motor but I’d bet money he gets out with a spare lead and looks straight down at starter…common fault that should be checked on service but then they wouldn’t make as much money replacing a 50p piece of wire.

Good luck and keep counting those pounds.

Try the wiring plug on the bottom of the I shift lever has a good connection ?

Hi mate, you need to isolate the battery’s to reset the system , n/s wing there’s a little red switch with a guard over it turn it off for a least one minute , and it will reset most things. Hopefully it will do the trick …

Mucker1:
Had a couple of probs with Volvo starter motors. After first time getting Volvo out and seeing problem I sorted it myself next time it happened.

I didn’t lose drive at all… On both occasions they just wouldn’t start after being switched off.

Starter motor is on drivers side. You can just see it if u stand just alongside and behind cab and look down towards lower part of chassis.

What happens is neg wire is thin and exposed. It eventually corrodes. I restarted mine by using a small croc clip from lead to terminal. If it is same prob as I had u will see both wire and terminal quite easy…although I got to mine from clambering underneath.

Good luck

Have had exactly the same as this happen, called out Volvo who went straight to the fault, and after 15 minutes was away again, it appears more common than I thought

Did u get back on the road then?

Mucker1:
Did u get back on the road then?

yes mate. just arrived at waltham point. it was exactly the fault you said. 15 mins and i was off. he didn’t even tilt the cab :slight_smile:.
thanks for the advice everybody.

Good one mate. Keep on truckin.

Good luck mate.I never drove a Volvo.