Car Trouble

Hi all, the daughter’s car wont start. :unamused:
It does turn over but wont fire up. tried the jump-leads on it today without success :frowning:
Could it still be a battery problem or will it be something else? I always thought if it turned over, it wasn’t the battery that was goosed but I could be mistaken as I openly admit I know nothing about cars.

redbob:
Hi all, the daughter’s car wont start. :unamused:
It does turn over but wont fire up. tried the jump-leads on it today without success :frowning:
Could it still be a battery problem or will it be something else? I always thought if it turned over, it wasn’t the battery that was goosed but I could be mistaken as I openly admit I know nothing about cars.

If it’s a petrol motor it’s just a case of check for a spark at the plugs,fuel reaching the carb/injectors,and compression.But it’s possible for a battery to have enough life to turn the motor over but not enough to also run the ignition and fuel system.If it’s a diesel just sell it and take whatever they’ll offer for it. :laughing:

Have you tried bump starting it yet mate

It could still be the battery if it’s naff and not turning the engine over fast enough, especially in this cold weather.

Is it a manual gearbox? Can you try a tow start?

Tone

I know this may sound obvious but have you checked there is petrol in the tank, my son has a habit of leaving it til its running on fumes and then wonders why it wont start,

Is it turning the engine over fast? if not its probably the battery.

don’t try turning it over until you have checked if the cam belt is still intact.
if it is then turn it over and check if fuel is getting to the injectors.
how old is the fuel filter?

It could be the started motor
I had something similar but if I moved the car slightly it would start found it was the bushes in within the starter motor as you have said about trying to jump start it did you leave it long enough as a mate of mine had to take his battery off & charge it as it wouldnt start after he left it a week in this cold weather

the big un:
Have you tried bump starting it yet mate

No not yet as we wont get it back were it is because of the state of the side road its in.

All good replies thanks - think I’ll try fully charging the battery and take it from there :confused:

Cheers all :wink:

check the sparks

Sounds like fuel starvation - is it petrol or diesel?

What make/model/year and engine is it?

dont bump start it as a few car makes will break the cam carrier or worse still snap cam belt/chains

Suedehead:
Sounds like fuel starvation - is it petrol or diesel?

petrol mate

mechanic77:
What make/model/year and engine is it?

fiesta, an old X reg one

I’m gonna take a guess at a dodgy fuel pump relay?

Google “Ford Fiesta wont start,” Up will come a load of petrol heads and Car fix it sites/Forums, i always get good info off those sites.

It’s the middle of winter I’d put my money on her flooding it :stuck_out_tongue: Take the plugs out and see if they’re wet. If it was running fine then all of a sudden isn’t then it’s going to be something simple. Oh and a car battery can have but a slither of juice in it and it will be more than enough to run the engine if bump started especially on a Fez.

how cold has it been when the motor has sat ? Could have frozen fuel lines which would give the no-start fault you are describing.
Can you drag it into a garage to put some heat onto the engine area ?
I had my Doblo Van fuel lines & filter freeze / gel up the last winter before i moved over to Canada. Turned out to be some dodgy Bio diesel i was using, they didnt add the winter additives to it.

BigJon:
how cold has it been when the motor has sat ? Could have frozen fuel lines which would give the no-start fault you are describing.
Can you drag it into a garage to put some heat onto the engine area ?
I had my Doblo Van fuel lines & filter freeze / gel up the last winter before i moved over to Canada. Turned out to be some dodgy Bio diesel i was using, they didnt add the winter additives to it.

Don’t think petrol gels up like diesel. my motorbikes start minimum fuss with months old fuel at the temps we’ve been having here