Starting out...

Well… where do i start. :open_mouth:

Hi I suppose. Better introduce myself etc as my first post.

My name’s Ross and have just started on the road to getting my LGV licence. I’m 22 and live near Inverness, currently nearing the end of my apprenticeship and decided that I fancy being able to do something else ‘useful’. Had always wanted to get my licence when I turned 21 (just for the sake of it really) but kept getting put off by the costs involved, amongst other commitments.

Have found various posts on the forum extremely helpful and thought I’d write up my experience/progress, in the hope that it too could help someone.

1. After deciding that I wanted my licence, I first did a little research on here and the DVLA website to try and familiarise myself with the process of attaining the licence.

2. I got DVLA forms D2 (licence application form) and D4 (medical examination report). These should be available from your local DVLA office (expect a long queue!), or you can request a D2 pack is posted to you (CLICK HERE) and download & print the D4. (CLICK HERE)

3. Once I got my forms I contacted my GP to arrange my medical, but after being quoted £120 :open_mouth: decided to phone about after reading about cheaper medicals. CLICK HERE FOR AN EXAMPLE. Due to my location I was limited in choice and ended up paying £94.

4. Having passed that this morning, I completed the D2 (applied for both category C and D provisional on the form as be silly not doing so!), enclosed my complete D4 and my original driving licence (took photocopies just in case after reading various horor stories!). Note: Its not overly clear that no fee is charged for getting you provisional and I couldn’t find the appropriate return address on any of the forms! DVLA use different postcodes for various departments, but I havent bothered with one! :smiley:

5. While I wait for my licence to be returned, have been on ebay and bought myself some ‘training aides’! Namely the Theory Test, Hazard Perception and Digital Tachograph Training CDs/DVDs in a pack together (pretty certain they’re copies at £8 for the lot, but will do me fine!) and the book ‘Official DSA Guide To Driving Goods Vehicles’ (cant go wrong for 99p! :smiley: ).

Anyhow, thats my progress as of today. Please feel free to comment or advise as required! :wink:

Regards
Ross

:smiley: Hi walkin_disaster WELCOME.:grimacing:

You seem to be well sorted after your research, but as an ex-LGV instructor, this caught my eye:

walkin_disaster:
5. While I wait for my licence to be returned, have been on ebay and bought myself some ‘training aides’! Namely the Theory Test, Hazard Perception and Digital Tachograph Training CDs/DVDs in a pack together (pretty certain they’re copies at £8 for the lot, but will do me fine!) and the book ‘Official DSA Guide To Driving Goods Vehicles’ (cant go wrong for 99p! :D) .

That all seems fine at first sight, but have you considered whether the these publications are the correct and up-tp-date versions :question:
I wondered, because my ‘grapevine’ says that the theory test is about to change in August, so if you can pass it before then, so much the better.

:smiley: I wouldn’t want to rain on your parade Ross, but why take a chance on spoiling the ship for a ha’ porth of tar :question:

The questions remain the same though I think, from the same question bank, they’re just increasing the number you have to answer, it went from 35 to 50 a few days before I did my theory and I had to sit the 50 questions, I think the next rise takes it to 100 or something?

Welcome Ross !

I’m not that far from you (Forres) but currently doing a variety of transport related training with Nightfreight down in Burnley (Forces Resettlement).

I think what you have bought from e-bay are indeed copies ! I got the same ones :laughing: The Digi Tacho trg DVD is very good. The Haz Perception is def worthwhile but takes a certain knack on test day. The PC LGV Theory, if its the same 1 I got IS CURRENT, but only until Jul when the theory test goes up to 100 Q’s. You’ll find the exact date in one of the other threads; it has been mentioned already.

Have you got a shortlist of trg providers yet ? Any front runners ? I’m sure there will be plenty opinions on here if you offer up who’s got your interest. All the info you ever wanted (and more) is only a Q away.

Enjoy

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Welcome walkin_disaster :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:
A read of THIS POST may also be useful.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Well people… here I am ressurecting my 18 month old post about me starting out on the journey for my LGV license. What can I say. Had a few financial hurdles in my way over the past while and only began to make progress again over the last few days.

After realising how cold it was on Wednesday :blush: , I decided to hide inside for the day and during a tidy out found my folder of now out of date ‘training aides’ (Theory Test, Hazard Perception and Digital Tachograph Training CDs/DVDs ). Perfect opportunity as had a free day. Given that I started out pre-CPC I had to read ROG’s guide post for some advice on the changes before deciding that completing CPC Modules 1 a&b would not be that different from what I was previously looking at 18 months ago.

After a few mock theory tests (out of date 60 question type) I was surprised at how quick everything was coming back to me and spur of the moment, booked my CPC Module 1a (multiple choice) for this morning (Saturday - seemed like a good idea at the time! :unamused: )! After struggling with frozen water pipes in the house and drunken friends home from university :imp: over the last couple of days I hadn’t managed to get the revision I’d hoped completed, yet some how found myself completely relaxed as was simply too busy to worry. A couple mock tests late last night and before I knew it I was sitting in the test centre.

3-2-1-Go! Off to a flying start, then came question… WTF?!?.. 83… that surely isn’t right… but it was, passed so fast! Struggled with some deep thought over that one, flagged 2 more over the next dozen, then came some easier questions… done. Couldn’t believe it. Reviewed the ones I’d flagged, changed one, changed it back etc then double checked everything else as was worried I’d mis-read going so fast. End of test.

A quick joke from the lady at the desk about how I must of being doing revision as she handed me my PASS letter… :open_mouth:

Delighted to say the least, especially considering the score I got. Going to try and get a cancellation for Hazard Perception next week, but not too confident as never done HPT before. :confused:

Well done on passing your theory, I remember doing mine, was extremely nerve racking. On the hpt I think there is only one hazard per clip except for one clip where there’s two. Don’t start clicking like a nutter or you will fail. Good luck on the hpt and your training. It’s a long slog but you won’t regret it. Just be aware it may take some time to get a job when first starting off . I’m lucky(ish) cos iv got a pcv licence iv held since I was 20 and been driving tri axle coaches for ages so employers seem to realise that although iv only had my class 2 for 4 months, iv been driving something alot bigger for a long time. Good luck again, keep us upto date on your progress.

walkin_disaster:
she handed me my PASS letter…

That’s one bit done and dusted :smiley: :smiley:

Have you chosen a training school yet?

well done on the pass

the only difference is the amount of questions that you are asked

the hpt well did mine & passed it is not that hard if you have a dvd with it on you should only do it once as that is recommended just think about it and relax

good luck with it

btw i did mine both the same day following on from each other