Starting out with class 2 (hopefully) - what work to expect

Hi all,

Great forum and thanks to all involved, just wish I’d found it sooner…

Off to take my class 2 Monday morning (8th), after 4 days in a cab, should be interesting :slight_smile: Assuming I do eventually pass I’d probably be looking at agencies, as I’ve been tied down for the last 30 years and not particularly looking for “full time” work, rather the odd days or ideally day out and day back.

Is this realistic ? If anyone knows of such work here in S.Wales it would be appreciated. Though reading through the posts I guess I should except anything that comes my way and be grateful…

Tia,

Steve… changing career at 50 and looking forward to it.

hi steve,1st of all welcome to trucknet hope you enjoy it here and we look forward to you taking part in the forums and putting you 10pence worth in.

as a newbie to the driving side of life you will get hit with you ain’t got x amout of years of experiance,(but how do you get that experiance) if money is not an issue to you then take what ever the agency throws your way,this way you get to know the good jobs and companies to work for,and who pays the best rates this way next time it comes up you can say yes or no.but at the same time gaining experiance.there are a few lads on here from wales and if you pm them they might give you the good agencies and good companies to work for.have a look around and see who is nearest your area. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

good luck and i hope it goes well for you. :wink: :wink: :wink:

all the best for the test monday morning,we hope to see a test certificate with a pass up here monday. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks for the good wishes kitkat, much appreciated…

Been checking through past posts for pointers from you folk and I see there’s a wealth of experienced drivers here happy to help, nice to see :slight_smile:

No, I’m not so bothered about wages, but do draw the line at slave labour… I’m fortunate that the house is payed for, wife works and the children should be moving on soon, if I get my way.

Will take your advice on board, and thanks, guess I’ll be taking anything that might come my way to start and see what next year brings. I’d really like to hit the road in those big trucks but need to pass my class 2 first :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Steve…

Welcome to Trucknet Steve.
I’m based in S Wales and am a recent career change driver! :smiley:

You could try Randstad in Newport - I’m with their Swansea branch, and they’re pretty good to me!

steve_24v:
No, I’m not so bothered about wages, but do draw the line at slave labour…

Crikey, you’ve definitely made a bad move then :open_mouth:. National minimum wage for driving wagons down there. :frowning:

gardun:
Welcome to Trucknet Steve.
I’m based in S Wales and am a recent career change driver! :smiley:

Is that recent ? Any regrets ?

You could try Randstad in Newport - I’m with their Swansea branch, and they’re pretty good to me!

Thanks for that, I’ll tap 'em up… re-test next week :slight_smile:

Rob K:

steve_24v:
No, I’m not so bothered about wages, but do draw the line at slave labour…

Crikey, you’ve definitely made a bad move then :open_mouth:. National minimum wage for driving wagons down there. :frowning:

Par for the course around these parts Rob, price you pay for living in paradise I guess … slight exaggeration but you get my drift