Hello from another wannabe

Hi Folks,

Been reading these pages for a few days now :open_mouth:

Just been confirmed getting made redundant and looking for some advice …

Currently work as an IT field service engineer covering the North of Scotland.

Been doing 30k miles per year for the last 20 years (in a car) and now thinking about moving to trucks. (career change !! )

Any advice on the work situation in or based in Inverness ■■

To pay the bills i would need to be earning 15k in the first year, is that realistic as a new driver ■■

Recommendations for training firms and places to start looking for work welcome :wink:

Would it be better to do class 2 and get experience before going for class1 ■■

My kids are now older (youngest not too far of high school age) so overnight jobs shouldnt be a major domestic problem.

I dont have any problems with starting at the bottom and gaining experience, also been doing standby/callout for years so am used to unsociable hours :confused:

Any advice / pointers welcomed,

Many thanks

Adbru

Welcome Adbru.

The money you are looking to earn is achievible, even a bit on the low side. Might be able to get a bit of class 2 work with a builders merchant and still be home in the evenings for that sort of money.

The gaining class 2 experience before moving onto class 1 is really upto you, obviously if you get a job you’ll be gaining useful experience, but having the class 1 give you more openings and possibly better earning potential.
Really depends on you and the market in your area.

What is it with all these IT types wanting careers as trucks drivers, seems to be the main ocupation when somebody comes onto the board asking abouta career change. :smiley:

Welcome to Trucknet adbru. :laughing:

Sounds as if your being realistic with your outlook so go for it, the only way you will know if it is for you is to try it. Good luck

Welcome to TruckNet UK Adbru :smiley:

Welcome to TruckNet… … …

I am also an ex-IT’er, made the change in June last year. I did a few months in class two (did class two mid-June) before I did my class one(end of August) - late June to the end of 2005 brought in over £10k and that was with quite a few weeks that I couldn’t get 5 days work. Working agencies at the moment, but hoping to get working direct in the near future.

Bit of a change - rather than spending 2 hours a day travelling to work and back, it now takes about 1/2 an hour, and if I hit traffic during the day then I earn more !! Fantastic… … … less stress than IT work so far, would definately recommend it !!

G

Thanks for the welcome and the info :smiley:

My concern was that there may not be the same oppertunities up here in the North ■■

I have never done the “same place each day” type job , my office is currently a line from elgin to dalwhinnie to fort william… everything above that :wink:

£15k would be the min I need to change, i’d be happy with more (lol ! )

I can get that doing crap servicing jobs, if i take a drop in pay I’d rather do something i’d enjoy :sunglasses:

I have some contacts with some of the network depots, I get all my parts shipped up so I’ll have a chat with some of them and see how the land lies…

Keep it coming though, any local info would be very helpful.

many thanks

Adbru

Hi Adrian,

Welcome to Trucknet! Think we may have communicated before on the Divvy site regarding the pitfalls of trying to become a driving instructor!!

In my opinion, driving trucks has turned out to be a much more relaxing and enjoyable way of making a living. Don’t know if I have just been lucky, but for the first time in my life I have a job that I actually enjoy! Previously I have been in the Merchant Navy, worked in a pub, spent 19 years in the Police, filled vending machines, sold aerial photographs (for a guy in Inverness funnily enough), 3 weeks in a call centre, airport security, and of course a failed attempt at driving instructing.

I passed class 2 in Dec. 2004, did some agency work in Glasgow (£6 per hour), then found full time work with a company at Glasgow airport (£6.50 per hour, about 50 hrs per week).

Passed class 1 last August, stayed with same company and went onto class 1 work almost right away (£8 per hour, 42 hrs per week). Do a run to Aberdeen and back every day. No hassles, no running bent; 4 days on/4off. For those that want, there are extra shifts available as long as it is kept legal. So all in all, I would say I have landed on my feet at the tender age of 43!

I have given the hourly rates, which I think are fairly standard around the Glasgow area. No idea what the work situation is like around Inverness, but every day on the A9 I see plenty of lorries which come from that area. A lot of fridges full of seafood. My advice would be to go for it. I love the freedom out on the road, listening to the radio or a CD and not being stuck in an office with a crowd of folk you can’t be bothered with.

Al.

Hi Al,

Yip I followed your link to this site :smiley:

As I thought a few weeks ago on the other forum, redundancy has been confirmed…

I will be getting some redundancy money so I may do my class2 anyway, always a handy thing to have even if the road takes me to a different job.

I am going up to inverness later today so will plan to hit some agencys to try and get a feel for the jobs market.
I finish my current job end of April so that gives me some time to get organised.

Great Forum guys (and girls )

Adbru

(still reading :open_mouth: )

When you head off to the agencies bear in mind that they will probably all want you on their books (unless they have a requirement for 2 years experience) and say they can get you work… … … …

… … … … of the four I have been with only one lived up to that promise. So when you come to register then go with a few and find out who you like, and who gets you the work. If you register with one you could be waiting a LONG time for a call !!!

G

Adbru
Welcome to trucknet and to truckers in general who are a far better bunch than their reputation would lead you to believe.
Unlike most people who usually pass their test then work on the agencies until they get a better job, I did it the other way around, not sure it was one of my better decisions but it’s early days. Any info I can help you with just ask and if I can I will.
Good luck

Sorry to hear about your looming redundancy; but as they say, every cloud has a silver lining!
I am sure there will be some companies offering HGV training in the Inverness area. Cost-wise, it was about £600 for my class 2 training. That was 2.5 days, one on one in the lorry, and then a Wednesday afternoon test. Class 1 was the same price, discount given because I had done class 2 with them. The class 1 was 5 days because there was 2 of us learning, then a Saturday morning test.
Good luck, and keep us informed!

Al.

Gazzareth:
When you head off to the agencies bear in mind that they will probably all want you on their books (unless they have a requirement for 2 years experience) and say they can get you work… … … …

… … … … of the four I have been with only one lived up to that promise. So when you come to register then go with a few and find out who you like, and who gets you the work. If you register with one you could be waiting a LONG time for a call !!!

G

Can you register with as many agencies as you like?
Cheers

welcome to trucknetuk adbru :smiley: :smiley:

you should find it quite easy to achive £15k. cant help you on the job front though never been above dumfermline even though my old mine owns a boozer in macduff :blush:

jon

Can you register with as many agencies as you like?

Yes. And if you accept a day’s work from one and another rings you for the same day, make sure you tell them you’re on for another agency that day…keeps them on their toes if they think you’re not relying on them. :wink: