Starting my C+E training

Just had a phone call from my instructor reminding me to be their for 08:30hrs on Monday morning (and not to forget my cheque book :slight_smile: ).

Now the nerves are kicking in :blush: :blush:

Up till now it’s been one of those things I had pencilled in my diary to do in a couple of weeks.

Course runs every morning next week 08:30 - 12:30hrs, with my test @ 14:30hrs Friday at Garretts Green, Birmingham.

I’ll keep you all informed of my daily progress, but any advice from anyone who has taken their test here would be much appreciated (Routes, Examiners etc).

Thanks.

Ian.

Good luck :slight_smile:

DAY ONE.

Not a good start to the day. Kid ran out in front of me whilst driving to the training yard. Whatever happened to the green cross code (Look right, look left look right again?) this morning it was look left, nothing coming, cross the road :imp: :imp:

Then I get to the depot and realise I’ve left my cheque book in the house :blush: Got my sandwich box though :smiley: :smiley:

Oh well I think, things come in threes so prepared for a bad drive I enter the office and explain the ■■■■-up with the cheque book. “Not to worry came the reply bring it tomorrow” :slight_smile: “Can I see your licence please” Give him my photocard. “And your paper copy” :imp:

Well at least that’s the 3rd thing over and done with I thought.

Then we go through the set-up for the week, apparently on Thursday I will have a different instructor (who I also met today), as my instructor has a re-test on the rigid at the same time. And on Friday I get a whole extra morning training coz my test isn’t till 1430hrs, so I will be doubled up with another guy who is doing his training in the afternoon this week.

Given a list of questions to revise tonight which he will start asking me from tomorrow onwards. No reversing exercise today, just get to grips with driving the artic.

Get out into the yard, shown around the wagon, test lights, check fuel tank, all the switches, etc. and then out on the road.

Ride itself went well I felt. A couple of incidents where the kerbs jumped out deliberately as I went around some tight corners :slight_smile: although I did manage to avoid them on the roundabouts. Also I’ve got to get out of all the bad habits like leaving my hand on the gear stick too long, not checking my mirrors enough, not checking my blind spot when pulling away, keeping my hands at ten to two, all of the usual stuff, but the main thing was that the instructor said I gave a good ride and that he sees no reason why I shouldn’t pass on Friday if I drive like I did today and drop all the bad habits listed above.

Then again we don’t start the reversing exercise until tomorrow and I have yet to un-hitch and re-hitch the trailer.

Did reverse the unit today, when we got back to the yard he asked me to slot it in between his rigid and a coach belonging to another company. This was only a straight line reverse once I had turned the Unit around but it felt good at the end to have put it in the slot, especially as I had an audience while I did it, which turned out to be the other instructor (mine on Thursday) and the other guy doing his lesson this afternoon.

Anyway that just about sums up todays lesson.

Ian.

MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR. MIRROR, MIRROR.
That is only part of the advice I can give you as an ex LGV instructor from 2005

Sounds like you had a good day!! :laughing: :laughing:

DAY TWO

Oh do I wish we were back on Day One :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Never left the yard today. It was Reversing all the way. Not too happy when I found out that I was not on my own either, as that meant sharing the vehicle and not as much time doing the exercise.

Anyway first 2 went reasonably well whilst I had the instructor sat next to me telling me what to do. Not perfect but slotted in, first with a shunt and the second straight away, although neither were straight.

Then I had 5 or 6 goes on my own and that’s when it all went downhill (Crossing the yellow line, hitting the cone, almost jack knifing the vehicle, more than 2 shunts), you name it I failed on it. :angry: :angry:

Obviously I was getting progressively more and more stressed out :blush: :blush:

Anyway finished the reversing (To be continued tomorrow) and started the trailer exercise (Thankfully piece of cake and nothing to worry about there :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

Then just as I was going to leave to come to work the instructor said “How about one more before you go”

I thought “what the heck, I’m already late” and would you know it, I slotted it in first time with no shunts :imp:

Why couldn’t I have done that first time !!!

I now have the start and the end off to a tee, it’s just the approach to the bay I need to sort out. I keep thinking that I am going to hit the cone when in fact I am miles away.

Ian.

Alright ian.
Reversing is a right ■■■■■ to get the hang of at first. I was all over the place, I was pulling my hair out at times but the more practice you have the better you get.
Just keep at it!

Good luck on your test!
BL.

If its the cone at the start of the reversing exercise, adjust your blind spot mirror, (the one pointing down at the kerb) angle it slighly so you can see the corner of your bumper. Then get your instructor to line you up, check your mirror to make sure you can see the cone and you should be able to put it on the spot everytime.

DAY THREE

What a difference a day makes :open_mouth:

Went in this morning for an early start only to be told change of plan as my instructor got a phone call yesterday from the test centre saying that they were bringing for a re-test he had booked this afternoon to 1030hrs. So I would be going out with a different instructor today. “Great” I thought someone else to get used to. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise and I had what can only be classed as a fantastic day compared to the last two.

This instructor is an ex squaddie like my self, so plenty to talk about in the cab and I felt really at ease.

The day consisted of a ride out to Birmingham to get used to some of the roads on the test route, the gear exercise (No problems), the pull up at the kerb exercise (No problem) and courtesy of some other inconsiderate driver pulling out of a side street unexpectedly, the emergency stop exercise (again No problem)

Took in quite a few tight rights and lefts and very few kerbs jumped out today :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Then at 11:30 we arrived back at the yard for some more reversing exercises.

First went in like a dream :smiley: .

Second 3 shunts and hit the barrier :open_mouth:

Third and fourth went in OK although not entirely straight.

Did another Trailer drop exercise (No problem).

Now feeling more confident about the whole thing, it was like everything clicked into place today. :blush:

Please do not think I am being ignorant when a post does not appear tomorrow and Friday. I have recently moved house and have not yet had my BT line installed and these posts are being done at work. For the next 2 days I am on whole day training and test so probably won’t get an update on until Monday morning, unless I can get access to someone else’s computer over the weekend.

Ian.

Good luck on your test :slight_smile:

DAY FOUR & FIVE INCLUDING TEST

As promised here is the remainder of my training diary.

Day Four

Today I was doubled up for a whole days training with Mark who had been doing his training in the afternoon.

It had been decided to double up for a whole day as neither of us had perfected the reversing and needed that bit of extra training.

The first hour and half was spent in the yard doing the reversing exercise and would you believe it, I slotted the first four straight into the garage :open_mouth: :open_mouth: At this point I couldn’t understand what all the worry had been about.

Mark was still struggling, he just couldn’t get to grips with the middle bit, he would come across at a perfect 45 degree angle but would then put on too much lock when turning it into the garage and would either end up clipping a cone or taking too many shunts.

Anyway time to hit the road, instructor tells me to take first ride and off we set. We had only travelled about 15 minutes down the road when there was an almighty clanging noise. I stopped the vehicle and we got out to look, about 200 metres up the road was a long piece of metal in the middle of the road. We went up to investigate as I knew it wasn’t there as I travelled down the road and it turned out to be a piece of the exhaust that had fallen off.

So back to the yard for a new one to be fitted. Got back to the yard and the fitter examined the damage. The middle piece of the pipe had fell off and unfortunately they didn’t have one in stock. It looked as though the days training was going to be cancelled :imp: :imp:

Anyway after discussion with the fitter, the instructor decided that we could go back out on the road as the increased noise level was not noticeable and that the vehicle would be repaired overnight ready for the next days test.

So off we went again with Mark driving this time. The rest of the day was spent taking it in turns driving around Birmingham getting used to the test routes and known tight corners and roundabouts.

Few silly mistakes but nothing major although Marks confidence was shatter by some Sausage who decided to indicate to pull off the round about and as Mark pulled out changed it’s mind and nearly ran into the truck. After this he was hitting kerbs left right and centre.

Got back to the yard and did a trailer drop and with half an hour left the instructor asked if we wanted to do a few more reverses. Mark said no ■■? but I thought what the heck and slotted two more in first time. Now I am not worried at all about this part of the test at all.

DAY FIVE

Early start this morning (0700) as Mark’s test it at 0945 hrs. Mine wasn’t until 1430hrs

Sat in the spare seat while Mark drove to the test centre. I didn’t have to come in this early but I thought at least I get to see the Pad for reversing and the emergency brake area before it was my turn.

We get to the test centre and Mark goes out for his test, I wandered around to watch his reversing and he start off as normal right on target coming over at the right angle, then he starts to turn it into the garage and at one point he looked like he was going to parallel park it. He then realised that he was too far over and put the opposite lock on ended up with the right marker post dead centre with the rear of the trailer. As he came back I’m standing there thinking Shunt it but too late he hit the bollard. He then shunted it and reversed in but was taking to long so the examiner stopped the exercise before he got anywhere near the barrier.

Having done the braking exercise he then disappeared of on route and all I had to do was read my book and go through everything in my head.

Just short of an hour later Mark returned and they just pulled straight into the waiting bay with no trailer drop. No Surprise that he failed.

My Instructor then turns up in his car to swap over and we head out for a drive around more test routes and tight corners which was a good job as some of these ended up on my test and I had not done them the previous day.

A few hours later having re-fuelled in a very tight filling station :blush: :blush: we return to the test centre.

End up getting the same examiner that Mark had in the morning, so a bit concerned as Mark had said he never spoke all the way around other than to give directions. (I prefer a chatty examiner as it help to make the time go faster), any way I do the reversing exercise and pop it in first time although I did have to get out and check because the reflector that I had been using all week to signify I was in the box, suddenly became invisible because I had the sun on my back as I reversed in so it did not show up. Got out and I was about 2 feet short so I used the markers on the floor to go back the right distance.

Then came the braking exercise where I nearly put the examiner through the window so I was confident that I passed that as well. Then we head out of on the road. Now for anyone who doesn’t know Garretts Green Test Centre, it’s on an industrial estate, so you basically turn right out of the test centre and then immediately left onto the main drag of the industrial estate. As I turned right I came to a stand still at the T-junction checked that nothing was coming and started to pull left. Almost instantly I noticed a vehicle heading towards my left so I stopped the vehicle to allow it through. The other vehicle slowed down and flashed me through so I carried on, not a good start I thought but he never went for his pad and he waved at the other vehicles as I drove passed.

Off we went and to be honest the rest then became a blur with left after right and so on. I never hit a kerb once although I did get a couple of minors for the turns so I assume I took them too wide. I got stuck at a round about for what seemed like ages as car after car came out from the right and at the end I had also received a couple of Minors for hesitation. He also took me from junction 4 to 5 on the M6 which wasted a considerable amount of time because as soon as we got passed junction 4a the motorway came to a stand still and we crawled up to junction 5. Anyway off at this junction meant an extremely tight right turn, a very narrow bridge where you had to swing the unit over the other side of the road to get around and another tight left off a 2 round abouts before back into the test centre, where I was told to take the vehicle back round to the reversing pad for the trailer drop. “Looking good” I thought. Did the trailer drop and both of us got back into the vehicle where by now I’m feeling really confident.

Then I get the

“I’m Sorry to tell you that you have failed”[/size]

7 minors and 1 Serious.

The serious being the other vehicle as I had pulled out of the test centre, which he judged that I had forced to slow down. :imp:

I now have to decide whether to go for it again (Another £230 re-test fee) or stick to class C.

Ian

Sorry to hear that :frowning:

i was sure there was gonna be good news at the end of this, good read.

You should go for it again, you only made one mistake, i know one is enough but it was right at the beginning, probably nerves still there, you drove the rest with no big mistakes.

Go for it mate - as soon as you can.
You cant afford to waste all the hard work you have out into it.
I am sure you will be fine next test.
Good Luck and let us know how it goes

i know it is heart breaking to fail.
I failed my class1 2 weeks ago, 5 minors & a serious for speeding :blush: , aparently i went over the 40mph limit on at least 3 occasions :smiling_imp:
I will be sitting my retest very soon.

My heart sank for you when I read the result. I really thought you clinched it. I assume Mark failed to or did I miss it in the write-up.

Very good read though.

Of course you have to re-sit it!

Bags of luck for next time!

Ah, that’s no good. I hate when they make you do the rest of the test, even after a fail-worthy mistake. If they were looking to see if you repeated it, then yes, but when they’ve already made their mind up…

Go for it again, you know the drill now, you can just get on with driving to the best of your ability now. :slight_smile:

If you want to be able have a pick of any jobs out there you need that class 1pass
i went 3 times and got there in the end

david

RE-TEST Number 1

Failed - 10 Minors and a serious for mounting the kerb.

The test was at Swinerton this time. It didn’t start off well coz I couldn’t get the ■■■■ thing into 4th gear for the break test. Anyway the examiner took me round and we had another go. I thought I had failed on that but apparently you only get a minor for gear changing.

Reversing went in first time again and when I got out to have a look, it was spot on in the box so I was happy with that.

Then we went out on the road.

Another 1430 test meant that the roads were a lot busier than they had been during the pre-test lesson, but not as busy as the centre of Birmingham last time. Came up to a roundabout a couple of miles into the run and sat there for what seemed like an eternity and whilst sat there, I’m thinking he’s going to mark me down for hesitation, coz a couple of times I could have gone had the car drivers indicated correctly but as I got a serious last time for pulling out in front of someone, I decided to sit and wait for what I thought was an appropriate gap. It also didn’t help that I was sat in the middle lane waiting to go straight across and a Polish driver came up my left, then as I pulled away, he went with me and then went all the way around the island cutting me up so that he could turn right. :imp: :imp:

Just after the island in question he asked me to move over into the right hand lane and follow the signs for Leek. This I did but as the road split and I went around the bend, due to lack of concentration thinking about what had just happened with said Polish drive, the back wheels of the trailer mounted the kerb. :angry: :angry: After that I just went to pieces.

Got a comment for speeding in a 30 zone :blush: and when we got back to the test centre he had marked me down 4 minors for not using mirrors appropriately when passing pedestrians. Trailer drop went fine again although I don’t know why they waste 10 minutes of your time doing that when you have already failed. :exclamation: :exclamation:

Thing was this time all the minors I got, were completely different to last time, so what ever I had done wrong then I had corrected this time.

My instructor couldn’t believe it when I told him I had failed, in his own words “I had given him 2 perfect drives during the pre-test lesson” and because I had sat in the cab for a long time talking to the examiner about the faults he assumed he had been writing out my pass certificate.

Obviously I’m disappointed with the result, but not as pi**ed off this time because I know it was all my own fault.

Ian.

Sorry to hear that you failed.
Don’t let it get you down, get back in there and get yourself a retest.

BL.