Start first driving job on monday

I went for an interview with Reed Boardall in Boroughbridge on Thursday 9th July, after the interview I was told to phone back on Friday 17th July to book an assessment drive with them, they also advised that I get some training on reversing before going for the assessment as its a lot differant to reversing on test.
Any way I had the Assessment at 07:30 this morning, we went out in an 08 plate MAN auto for a good run and then did some reversing when we got back to the Depot. We were all done at 09:00 and was told that I have got the job and start at 08:00 on Monday morning.
Steve the assessor was great with me, he showed me where all the controls were on the truck and told me to relax, that it wasn’t a test and that we all have to start somewhere and what he was looking for more then anything else was SAFE driving.

I would like to thank the members on this site for the advice that has been given, especially Rog.

I would also like to thank Tockwith Training for getting me through my C+E test and for the extra hour spent reversing with Mike yesterday, they are an excellant school and I beleive this is the main reason I have got a job so fast when I didn’t even have a C license untill March.

I would appreciate it in anyone can give me advice on driving a loaded vehicle as I have not yet driven when fully loaded.

Also if anyone form the North/West Yorkshire or the North East area is looking for work they check out Reed Boardall, they have a recruitment section on there website, as I said I am a newby and they have given me a start.

:lol: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing: :smiley: :laughing:

■■■■ ing get in mate well done top stuff, enjoy it and well done again, it seems us noobs are getting our foot in the door :smiley:

Well done :smiley: Have fun, and don’t be afraid to ask :slight_smile: we all started as newbies :laughing:

Good luck, I drove a MAN and got nothing but praise for those lorries.

dizzyfizzy:
I have got the job and start at 08:00 on Monday morning.

Fantastic news - well done :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

dizzyfizzy:
I would like to thank the members on this site for the advice that has been given

That’s what this site is about - SUPPORT & ADVICE

dizzyfizzy:
the assessor was great with me, he showed me where all the controls were on the truck and told me to relax, that it wasn’t a test and that we all have to start somewhere and what he was looking for more then anything else was SAFE driving.

PERFECT - just as it should be :slight_smile:

dizzyfizzy:
they also advised that I get some training on reversing

Yet more good advice.

dizzyfizzy:
I would also like to thank Tockwith Training … for the extra hour spent reversing

Curiousity - what did that consist of - cones or real-life stuff ?

dizzyfizzy:
I would also like to thank Tockwith Training … for the extra hour spent reversing

Curiousity - what did that consist of - cones or real-life stuff ?
[/quote]
It involved Mike, the instructor giving me a demo to start with of tight reverses around corners and then me having a go, he also got me reversing around tight corners on my blind side and around other vehicles in the yard and into the loading bay.
After we had finished the training he gave me a lot of advice on driving other truck’s including automatic’s and he made sure that I was 100% confidant with it all before I left them, as I have said on this site before they are the best training school around the York area, what helps also is that they make the training enjoyable and easy to take in which is proberly why so much of there work come’s from word of mouth.

dizzyfizzy:
got me reversing around tight corners on my blind side and around other vehicles in the yard and into the loading bay

Fantastic :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well done! Always good to hear of a newbie getting a start - - especially when there’s not meant to be any jobs about! The evidence is mounting to show there ARE jobs about.
Congrats again, take your time and enjoy. :laughing: :laughing:

Hey dizzy, good to hear you have got a job driving, I’m sure Stuart will have taught you well. Some companies in our local area have stated to us they won’t take on any novice drivers except those been to Tockwith Training.

Advice on driving loaded vehicles? We are looking to offer this service hopefully next year. I remember when I first started on driving. I got offered a job at K and J Logistics in York, my dad (mike) had got me thru my test and I was only 21, my first drive was fully loaded at 40-44 ton and I was on my own following another truck to Liverpool, normally they double up on the first trip but the boss had faith in me. What I noticed straight away was that a loaded truck really doesn’t want to move initially, ensure you engage a low gear, no setting off in 4th! It will also take much much longer to get to 50mph. To be making the best use of your vehicle you really need to think what the road is doing in front of you, hills, corners, off camber, roundabouts, whatever it is you have to plan more. Nowadays the stopping isn’t too bad, just press the pedal hard and wait for the brakes to start biting, you won’t be able to brake as late and as softly when loaded, you will soon figure it out. Use your exhaust brake down the hills to hold the vehicle back, read your manual to get advice on how to get the most from the gearbox. The manual will tell you a lot of other useful info too, were you ever told how to adjust the intermitency of the windscreen wipers on our fm12? Impossible to know if you have not read the manual.

Any how, any loaded questions just ask, and if you make a silly mistake don’t worry, I made a few when I started.