Spy in the car insurance

I can see this being a good deal for young drivers like Priscilla or Buttercup, but possibly Duane, Leroy and Kyle will be shooting themselves in the foot.

A device is installed either onto the dashboard or under the bonnet, and data measuring the following is transmitted via satellite:

• Braking
  • Acceleration
  • Cornering
  • Speed
  • Time of driving

Customers first pay an annual premium, which the company suggests will be an average £1,800, which includes the fitting of the box, although this figure will vary.

If, over the course of the year, customers demonstrate responsible driving they will receive a safer driving discount of up to 11.25% off the annual premium.

However, if a policy holder consistently drives badly, for example repeatedly breaking speed limits or taking corners too sharply their premium could increase by 15% from the initial price.

The product also allows customers to log into an online ‘driving dashboard’ to see how their driving is rated and giving advice on how they can improve.

Big Brother, you are a bit late!

Got that in trucks now Malc! Wot a good idea!

My insurance renewal is due early April and my present insurer sent me a stupid figure in the post so told them to stuff it, went on the t’internet an my new policy is with a company called insurethebox, they come to fit a telematics box somewhere in the car and I get 6000 miles free, I can get extra miles by good driving and by shopping online and the box also acts as a tracker in my car gets stolen.

Glen

glen958:
My insurance renewal is due early April and my present insurer sent me a stupid figure in the post so told them to stuff it, went on the t’internet an my new policy is with a company called insurethebox, they come to fit a telematics box somewhere in the car and I get 6000 miles free, I can get extra miles by good driving and by shopping online and the box also acts as a tracker in my car gets stolen.

Glen

No you don’t.

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Glen

No you don’t.

No I don’t what

glen958:

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Glen

No you don’t.

No I don’t what

get 6000 miles free, hence why it was put in italics.

Rob K:

glen958:

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Glen

No you don’t.

No I don’t what

totally missed that.

The policy I’m on is a limited mileage policy so I can drive upto 6000 miles this can be increased by buying extra miles or earning them through good driving etc, this suits me as I barely drive 4000miles a year in my car.

glen958:

Rob K:

glen958:

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Glen

No you don’t.

No I don’t what

totally missed that.

Can you tell me more about this as the youngest lad might find it useful?

What is the cost?

What part of the country are you in?

What car do you drive?

How old are you?

What cover do you have?

How long you’ve had your licence and is it clean?

Is it just your name on the policy?

Cheers!

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Rob K:

glen958:

44 Tonne Ton:

glen958:

Glen

No you don’t.

No I don’t what

totally missed that.

Can you tell me more about this as the youngest lad might find it useful?

What is the cost? £756 including breakdown cover

What part of the country are you in? Leeds LS11 quite a bad area to get insurance

What car do you drive? 52 plate Mondeo 1.8

How old are you? 36

What cover do you have? Full Comp

How long you’ve had your licence and is it clean? 13yrs cleanish, motoring convictions from 06 and 07 as insurers always ask for last 5 years

Is it just your name on the policy? yes

Cheers!

I will say that the price is quite high but some insurers wouldnt even quote me for the postcode and had I not just moved up from Luton I would be paying half that amount.

Thanks for the reply Glen, I suspect the youngsters’ age will mean he pays substantially more than that.

Personally, I can’t stand this ever increasing surveillance, they will be wanting to fit microchips into our foreheads next.