Insurance cover?

looked into insurance today to get a few quotes together for the artic joby,having checked my goods in transit it turns out i’ve got £5000 all risks and GIT/incidental uk cmr £250,000 what ever that means?
so what cover does this give me per ton?
maybe daft questions but haulage insurance is all new to me.

paul b:
maybe daft questions but haulage insurance is all new to me.

It’s all new to me Paul so I’m following your threads with interest. Maybe one day…

Paul, from the info you’ve supplied, it sounds like your total loss cover is £250k. Tends to be insurance based on RHA conditions which is on a per tonne basis.
So, with yours, if say, you carry 1/2 million quids worth of home entertainment gear as I did the other week & you stop at the services for a p & the whole rig disappears, your insurer will only pay out the £250k max for the load.
So, important to make sure customers have received a copy of your conditions of carriage & that in that, your max. liability is clearlystated.
Also, you will probably find if you read the small print, that in the case of high value loads, it is not insured if the vehicle is unatttended.

Does seem like vehicle insurance has gone up a fair bit since I had my own rig in '99. Sure I paid about £3.5k FC, but the unit was quite old/low value.

spoke to hanbury davies,they say this cover is more than enough for their wok on containers. as for insuring the wagon it self (99ec11 44t) my current insurance company,norwich union has quoted £5,100 tpff which seems very high compared to what others have said so i’m going to have ring round today,any suggetions who might be worth a try?

I use Truckinsure in Croydon 020 8274 6570 - Paul Batchelor

I have been with Norwich Union for years, ever since I strated in fact, but as of the 17th of January that will end. I am going with another broker, SBP Chapman Stevens Limited in High Wycombe, 01494 528710. They have saved me getting on for £1100 on next years insurance.

Coffeeholic:
I have been with Norwich Union for years, ever since I strated in fact,

Me to until last year, they wanted to increase mine again for the fourth year in succesion. Last year they wanted £5,500 despite me never having a claim of them (not even a windscreen).
Now I’m with AXA, £3200 for RHA 1998/CMR £250,000 with me as the only driver.
084 5758 1076 WWW.AXA.CO.UK or their Rep Colin Beaman 07974 833 721

Coffeeholic:
I have been with Norwich Union for years, ever since I strated in fact

Me too also as well waiting for my renewal broker reckons around the £4800 mark :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Always insured any of my vehicles individualy, if one had a bump it didnt affect the rest, got a quote to go fleet insurance, saved me a couple of grand a year and less admin.

Just got the renewal through the door, gone up from £16000 per year to £28000 because we had a few bumps, none serious, no way will we be renewing it with that company.

Fleet policy is for vans and 7.5t trucks, our artics are seperate with NU £6300 each fuly comp any driver bit steep but NU dont mess around when it comes to claims.

best quote so far is from highway at £3950 fpft but it means starting from scratch with the no claims ie. i wont have a full year to take else where until i’ve had the policy 12 months or i can just alter my existing with nu at a cost of £2975 for the next seven months and then have a years no claims with them that assuming i don’t have a bump. is there a standard % you get off for no claims bonus per year?

I’m still waiting for my renewal notice from Norwich Union and the insurance needs renewing by Monday. Doesn’t really matter I haven’t recievd them other than to show my new insurance broker my proof of no claims as I’m not renewing with them, not very good by NU. On calling them I’m told they are a little behind with renewal notices. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: They need to get their act together because tomorrow new regulations come in stating that renewal notices for insurance must be issued no later than 21 days before renwal date.

blackie:
Fleet policy is for vans and 7.5t trucks, our artics are seperate with NU £6300 each fuly comp any driver bit steep but NU dont mess around when it comes to claims.

I beg to differ , I had an RTA where a low loader ran into me on the A14 as I was overtaking him.

It took NU 5 weeks to ok the repairs and get me back on the road :smiling_imp:

Then another year for the loss of earnings claim (NU were the insurers for both parties)

Seeing as I’m an O/D with just one motor and this happened in my first year it nearly sent me under before I’d even got started :smiling_imp:

Manwell:

Coffeeholic:
I have been with Norwich Union for years, ever since I strated in fact,

Me to until last year, they wanted to increase mine again for the fourth year in succesion. Last year they wanted £5,500 despite me never having a claim of them (not even a windscreen).
Now I’m with AXA, £3200 for RHA 1998/CMR £250,000 with me as the only driver.
084 5758 1076 WWW.AXA.CO.UK or their Rep Colin Beaman 07974 833 721

It just got better, had this years renewal from AXA, at a whisker under £2700 :sunglasses: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
P.S. Shhhhh… I hav’nt told the missus yet though, :wink: