Black Box for Young Drivers

Anyone had any experience of them either yourself or your kids.

My mates boy has got one.
It records what do.
So he dosnt go speeding anywhere.
And the car cant b driven between 23.00 and 5am.
But it has saved him a packet

Ridiculous idea, talk about having your wings clipped when you’ve just learnt to fly. When I passed my car test at 18 it was my ticket to freedom. Sure I did some very silly things but I also had some memorable times at all hours of the day/night and learnt from my mistakes.

used them for about 2yr’s untill they priced them self’s out, they save me a fair bit due to me being a boy racer mechanic in a 60hp astra :unamused:

same as above i had a time limit 23.01hrs to 04.59hrs that i was ditered from driving in other wise a charge would be applyed. but i was still insured at all time.
i was given access to all of the data that was transmitted from the box, and it was quite usefull, gave me discount halfway thourgh the first year as i had overestermated the amount of mile’s i thought i would cover :smiley:
it gave me speed, altiude and a couple of usefull bit’s.

having the time limit on it didn’t bother me as i wanted to be asleep most of it, i can only remember one time where it caused an issue, i was asked if i would like to do a day trip to france from dover (i live in linconshire) and the freey timing’s ment it was a 3am kick off, turned out the passport was out of date as well… :laughing: :unamused: so never mind.

with the rate insurance is increasing for all, i can see that the black box is going to be one of the only way’s for younger driver’s to get on the road…

getting one fitted on my daughters car on friday… saved an absolute fortune …

she has now got insurance on her own car as a learner driver with me and her mother on the policy aswell…
and when she passes her test there is no extra costs…

she is 17 … we only paid £1321.54 … know this is still a lot of cash but you should have seen some of teh qoutes coming in at over two and a half grand … :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

google …ikube

i kube that who i was with, untill they priced them self’s out. i did find at time’s they were hard to get in contact with, as i kube is a broker as sort’s for a couple of company’s who choose to insure us. the call center is wales based and the staf there are good.

she is 17 … we only paid £1321.54 …

As a matter of interest what car is that on.

New Fords can come with a special key, this is programmed on maximum speed, level of the radio sound, wont start as de belt is not clicked, etc. etc.
Fantastic idea, couple it with a breathanalyser coupled to a immobilser, and if it only safes one family not to have to bury their kids, its only a winner.
When I started driving, the cars where automatic limited (my Simca 1000 strugled with 60mph and had the whole of 36 bhp) the sound system was a philips AM radio with a single 6 watt speaker, and the traffic was much less.

I think the blackbox for young drivers is something wht should be regulated by the insurers, and if they while they are there reduce my a premium a bit, i would be very gratefull.

neil46:

ditto, i paid £1000 on a 1994 mk3 astra 1.4, that is me as a mechanic aswell, although that was 2009, as a 18yr old male

Tarrman:
Ridiculous idea, talk about having your wings clipped when you’ve just learnt to fly. When I passed my car test at 18 it was my ticket to freedom. Sure I did some very silly things but I also had some memorable times at all hours of the day/night and learnt from my mistakes.

In that case you were one of the lucky ones who had the chance to learn from your mistakes. Over a thousand new drivers a year dont get that chance. You are taught how to pass a test, not how to drive!
I now know, or rather did know of 3 new drivers killed in the last 2 years around here!

My grandson is getting one ,reckons it will save him about £1100 quid he is 22 i think it is a great idea.Driving is not now like it was when we were young.

philgor:
used them for about 2yr’s untill they priced them self’s out, they save me a fair bit due to me being a boy racer mechanic in a 60hp astra :unamused:

same as above i had a time limit 23.01hrs to 04.59hrs that i was ditered from driving in other wise a charge would be applyed. but i was still insured at all time.
i was given access to all of the data that was transmitted from the box, and it was quite usefull, gave me discount halfway thourgh the first year as i had overestermated the amount of mile’s i thought i would cover :smiley:
it gave me speed, altiude and a couple of usefull bit’s.

having the time limit on it didn’t bother me as i wanted to be asleep most of it, i can only remember one time where it caused an issue, i was asked if i would like to do a day trip to france from dover (i live in linconshire) and the freey timing’s ment it was a 3am kick off, turned out the passport was out of date as well… :laughing: :unamused: so never mind.

with the rate insurance is increasing for all, i can see that the black box is going to be one of the only way’s for younger driver’s to get on the road…

And you still wrote the Astra off, so it didnt work !

we had one fitted through an insurance firm was looking for a quote about 2 yr ago when we had that bad snow on my misses car and they were cheaper by a mile they come and fit it ay your home you cant see it
we can log on and check the millage and how well we drive the car
the firm was coverbox id recomend it

Why do all these kids drive like idiots?

The black box is treating the symptoms. The cure would be to not let them drive so young unaccompanied…It’s partly lack of experience that causes the accidents, but it’s more to do with a lack of maturity and a belief that they are indestructible and incapable of making a mistake. Most of that is due to their age.

Plenty of people learn to drive without all this drama. But the ones that have the majority of the accidents are the younger new drivers, very often males.

Insurance costs are a reflection of the fact that if the driver is under 21, there is not a chance but a likely hood a claim will be made.

Sad but true, unfortunately.

Won’t be long before they are fazed in and made compulsory for every car on the road. Automatic fine for breaking the speed limit? Being tracked 24/7 by the on-board gps device? Nah, more like the powers that be taking more control over our daily lives, probably stick a tax on it for good measure.

neil46:

Reanult Clio 1.4