Spotlights/Bling

I hate the stuff. Mainly because when it’s dark, some guy/girl with a blinged up motor flashes someone in on the duel carridgeway comming the other way. Instant blue squares/circles in front of your eyes and sometimes having to stop to let them clear. I cannot understand blinged up trucks and by that I mean with chrome all over them/spotlights etc - you know the score.

I can understand taking pride in your motor and keeping it clean/in tip top condition, but if it’s owner operators doing it, then it must be eating well and truly into your profits. God knows running a unit isn’t cheap, so why the extra expense? Right, now where’s the tin 'at :wink: :laughing: .

Personally, I can’t see the problem… :sunglasses:

i would turn a blind eye to it,

They make them look better, IMHO

Yeah, and how often are these lights used? Only on back roads? In the countryside?

Although to be honest when youre near a main road on a dark winters night in the countryside and one of these come its quite an amazing sight from a mile away. I’d hate to be the car coming towards them with them full on.

What are they, 100w lights? 6 at the top and 4 at the bottom? I suppose it’s /not/ a good idea to flash those lights with the engine off, a couple of flashes and you’d have flat batteries!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

smeserver:
Yeah, and how often are these lights used? Only on back roads? In the countryside?

Although to be honest when youre near a main road on a dark winters night in the countryside and one of these come its quite an amazing sight from a mile away. I’d hate to be the car coming towards them with them full on.

What are they, 100w lights? 6 at the top and 4 at the bottom? I suppose it’s /not/ a good idea to flash those lights with the engine off, a couple of flashes and you’d have flat batteries!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You can see the needle drop into red when the engine is running never mind with it off. :open_mouth: .

Most of the wagons I’ve driven when working direct for a company have had them on. The Actros Megaspace was the best - 6 along the top and 4 along the bottom, all brand new and the really big zebidee-off ones :laughing: . Drive along the A15 at night time with them on and you’ve got cars coming the other way about 5 miles away flashing at you to turn them off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . They’re wicked :smiley: .

More appropriate uses are for when you’re driving along a dual-carriageway and there’s a car coming the other way that refuses to dip his/her lights despite your repeated headlight flashes. Right, time to turn both the switches on for top and bottom bars and also the fogs in the bumper and then hit the full beam :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . QUALITY :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: . I bet they don’t put them back on full beam for the rest of their journey :laughing:

I love 'em :smiley: . The more lights the better :smiling_imp:

Its called Presentation!

A company director with freight to move will probably remember the shiny clean truck and trailer, more than he will an orange sainsburys shopping trolley.

The only reason Eddy Stobart is famous is because the public have taken notice of a corporate image, They dont care that he has ruined the industry

Not all well presented trucks need spotlights though, look at Coffeeholics Volvo, its fairly plain, always clean and with a corporate image. Pulleynes was another one with tidy trucks which are not OTT

Wheel Nut:
Not all well presented trucks need spotlights though, look at Coffeeholics Volvo, its fairly plain, always clean and with a corporate image.

And will never have light bars on it. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
Not all well presented trucks need spotlights though, look at Coffeeholics Volvo, its fairly plain, always clean and with a corporate image.

And will never have light bars on it. :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

quite agree some trucks look down right tacky
all the mod cons should be inside to be used
mine you with all the juice hes using the batterys couldnt take a light bar :wink:
bye the way mr admin "fix the clock " please,i`m fed up at looking at the wrong time on posts
ps your volvo looks the dogs danglies as it is :laughing: :laughing:
jon

The clock is only nine minutes out, that’s pretty good for us. It needs to be fixed form the US end and it does get reset periodically. Also you could meet us half way and set the correct timezone in your profile, it’s GMT+1 at this time of year. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :wink:

There is nothing wrong with my batteries and they are more than capable of handling my demands on them as I make sure I specify the heavy duty alternator and batteries. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:
The clock is only nine minutes out, that’s pretty good for us. It needs to be fixed form the US end and it does get reset periodically.

try 1 hour 9 minsi am posting this at 2023
jon

see my edited thread above. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
see my edited thread above. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

yes i thought you had added to it :laughing:
jon

The last motor I drove for a year or so had the following ;

Top light bar ( 4 spots ),
Bottom light bar ( 4 spots ),
2 spots in sunvisor,
4 spots in bumper,
2 headlights !,
Alloy wheels,
Electric sunroof,
Electric mirrors,
Air-conditioning,
1000 litre tanks,
Eminox stack,
Cruise control,
Colour coded mirrors,
High back seats with armrests,
Traction control,
A.B.S. brakes,

The list goes on. When I get a chance I will put a picture of this truck on here.
It was a ‘V’ reg 4 series Scania I drove for T.D.R. Transport, pulling a low loader.
The unit formerly belonged to T.M. Docherty plant haulage from Luton.

Sorry - nearly forgot - I loved the accesories and the ‘bling’ !
It made the truck stand out from the standard motors.
(Keeping it clean was a nightmare !)

Cheers,

Niall.

p.s. - Terry - if you are looking at the site i will post a picture soon !.

Wheel Nut:
Its called Presentation!

A company director with freight to move will probably remember the shiny clean truck and trailer, more than he will an orange sainsburys shopping trolley.

I would have to remark with the comment “bovine exretia” any companydirector interested in a goodlooking truck should not be a company director.

A company director will only be interested in the cheapest way to move his goods and not

Wheel Nut:
the shiny clean truck

i would be surprised if any company director actually see,s the truck when he signs the cheque,s.

i passed a blinged up motor the other night on the m6/m5 split that looked well smart at night .

alix 776 take a bow :laughing: :laughing:
jon

I admit that some trucks are over the top when i see so many spotlights on it, but if a driver wants to spend his hard earned cash on extras instead of on the kids or the wife…then thats his choice…many times i have been in the truck shops looking at all the goodies…but thats all only looking…i just want a truck thats as clean on the inside that my home is…and i dont bother about the outside…not my truck…if the boss pays for a wash…then i will get it done…
I think it will be a matter of time before the spots will be part of the mot…remember we have to strip the windscreen of stickers…and rope lights etc, and even the famous “steering wheel knob” before going to the test center, so before long a vehicle will only be tested as the manufacturer made it
Remember arriving in Turkey once…had all those little coloured lights along the front bumber…well the police at the border smashed them off…said they wasnt allowed…yet when i got to Istanbul and saw all the crap on their vehicles i was gobsmacked…but its their perogative i suppose…when in rome i say…
have a nice day

I wrote my post from experience :slight_smile: Why did you write yours Jammy? :stuck_out_tongue:

We had some well looked after clean trucks running down to Mars in Slough for years and picked up a lot of well paid traffic from that advert alone. The trucks were always clean and the paintwork was metallic blue. We were carrying very expensive oils and fats that went into perfumes and food products.

The Company Director spends time out on the road and sees a lot of these trucks, He wants his companies goods to be delivered in good condition with care. not in a rusty battered truck, driven by someone who doesnt take a pride in appearance

The accountant writes the cheque and does as he is told, in my opinion :smiley:

I agree with Wheel Nut, I wouldn’t be working where I am with an untidy, dirty, rusty truck and that is because the managing director wouldn’t allow it.

more than likely guilty as charged all i want to know WHO IS IT IN THE MERC ACTROS WITH WHITE FRIDGE THAT KEEPS FLASHING AND WAVEING AT ME ON THE M6 its driving me mad