Split Daily rest.

Its just a quick question, but how can you utilise this part of the tachograph regulations?? I know that the split is 3 and 9, but what or how long or indeed what can be done in the period of the split?

the 3 then 9 are in law for rest end of !!, but in the real world the 3 hrs during the shift may have been part of a 4 hr tip where the truck did not move
moose

lightning:
Its just a quick question, but how can you utilise this part of the tachograph regulations?? I know that the split is 3 and 9, but what or how long or indeed what can be done in the period of the split?

If you have a rest period of at least 3 consecutive hours during the shift it will count as part of a split daily rest period, the second part of the daily rest period at the end of the shift should be no less than 9 consecutive hours making a total of at least 12 hours daily rest.

The requirements for the 3 hours of rest are the same as any other rest period ie you should be able to dispose of the time freely.

The 9 hour part of the split daily rest period does not count as a reduced daily rest period.

cheers guys.

Not that it will ever affect me again but does the 3 hours then extend your working day by 3 hours ?
We have a similar rule over here but it’s 2 hours followed by 8 hours. When this rule first came in the 2 hour rest extended the daily maximum day from 14 hours to 16 hours, this only lasted one year then they changed the rules to make it unlawfull to extend the day even with the 2 hours off duty.
Some companies tell their drivers the extended two hours are allowed only to get the driver a ticket at his next DOT check and a shut down for 10 hours on the spot.

Pat Hasler:
Not that it will ever affect me again but does the 3 hours then extend your working day by 3 hours ?

No, the whole of the split daily rest has to be taken within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift just like a normal daily rest period,.

edit:
I suppose it depends on how you look at it really, it does allow you to do a 15 hour spread-over without having a reduced daily rest period, so it can be used to extend your spread-over by 2 hours if that’s what you mean by “working day”.