Speed limits and tachos?

Can somebody please explain to me why when i’m doing 56mph on the motorway, :angry: do i get passed all the time by wagons doing not just a couple of mph quicker, but literally blowing me into the weeds! How do they get away with it? If i over speed i get a snooty letter telling me not to. :angry:

They work for companies that don’t care and they are probably doing 60 mph anyway which is the legal limit for a truck .
Anything Irish or foreign then don’t worry about it , tacho laws don’t apply to them either .

sandman:
Can somebody please explain to me why when i’m doing 56mph on the motorway, :angry: do i get passed all the time by wagons doing not just a couple of mph quicker, but literally blowing me into the weeds! How do they get away with it? If i over speed i get a snooty letter telling me not to. :angry:

Couple of questions
Are you hacked off just because they are going faster than you?
Are you hacked off just because it seems that they are getting away with it?
Or both?

theres plenty of companys out there that wont give you a snotty letter for overspeeding :laughing: and dont mind you driving for 48 hours at a time in wagons that are never maintained .me im quite happy doing 56 mph these days as for wether or not they get caught :question: you only have to be stopped once by the authorites when you run like that once and its game over for the driver that is as the owner will problby be up an running again on a mates licence while a relative applys for an o licence

sandman:

Some of it is down to calibration. A tacho has to be within 2% accuracy so that could explain around 2-3MPH. Then there’s the fact that what a limiter is set to on a rolling road doesn’t seem to relate to what the actual road speed ends up being. And then there’s also the “Scania Surge Syndrome”.

Also, the speed limit for a HGV on a motorway in this country is still 60MPH.
So they’re not “getting away” with anything. And your employer is wrong for sending you letters for short duration breaches of “56-ish” MPH unless you exceed 60MPH.

Get over it. At the end of the day, they’ll be getting paid 10 minutes less than you to do the same 100 mile trip.

I used to do a night trunk - 3.5 hours each way with all but 10 minutes on the limiter.
Usually used a MAN which did 89kph and overtook next to nothing.
One night I had a rental Daf 85 which did 85kph and overtook a lot more and did the journey 10 minutes quicker and saved the firm 25 kms as well.
Yes, I know that neither the times nor mileages add up, but the tacho is an accurate record - must be, the law says so and magistrates believe them.

Loads of trucks are on the wrong calibration, easy to alter on some models especially Scanias and Daf’s then the truck will go faster but still show 56mph on the tacho so nobody can tell just the rev counter will be slightly higher than normal when driving on the limiter

Pop Larkin:
I used to do a night trunk - 3.5 hours each way with all but 10 minutes on the limiter.
Usually used a MAN which did 89kph and overtook next to nothing.
One night I had a rental Daf 85 which did 85kph and overtook a lot more and did the journey 10 minutes quicker and saved the firm 25 kms as well.
Yes, I know that neither the times nor mileages add up, but the tacho is an accurate record - must be, the law says so and magistrates believe them.

The biggest part of our fleet are M/B Axors,and the one I usually do my Saturday morning Brighton trunk with can get me there in 4 hours 25 minutes,providing there are NO holdups,with a distance shown of 740 km round trip.I have been doing this run for almost 3 years,with the same motor for 99% of the time.There are two known trucks on the fleet that still register 89km/hr,but can do the same run in 4 hours 10 minutes but show 720 km round trip.One motor I used took 4 hours 29 minutes with a round trip of 750 km. This is because the speedo is electronic,(no cable) and is calibrated with the tacho.However,the rev counter on my usual motor shows always 1,400 rpm,whereas on the faster motors,their rev counters show 1450 rpm.These motors are all the same spec, ie,diff ratio’s,so it goes to show that a motor can be calibrated to do any speed but only show 89 kmh.
As has been mentioned,notwithstanding Irish,foreign or pre speed limiter trucks,on night trunk,there are a lot of new motors that must be calibrated to do 58-60 mph,as they don’t just creep past you taking 5 miles to do so,but sail past comfortably.
The other variable of course is tyre wear.I believe that calibration is supposed to be done with new tyres on the drive axle.With driving the same motor over quite a long period over the same route,you don’t notice until a set of new tyres goes on the drive axle and wow,where did that extra speed come from!

Can you get done for speeding on a tacho.

Heard on the radio some guy got done for doing 65mph on a road which was a dual carriageway and recently reduced from 70mph to 65mph. He was ■■■■■■ off cause he saw the police everyday going by at way over 50mph.

He was so ■■■■■■ off he got his girlfriend to video record him driving along at 50mph on the speedo with the police flying by him. He made a complaint and sent in the evidence, he was told yes the cop would get a warning but no prosecution because they would need to take his car away and calibrate his speedo to make sure it was giving a correct reading.

I heard also police radar guns had to be calibrated supposedly every time before they went out.

Therefore whats to say a tachograph cant go out of calibration and give a false reading, so in a court of law can it be a 100% accurate the speed you were traveling at.

Not that i speed obviously but if i got questioned over speeding on a tachograph i would not admit to it, and just state must be a fault with the tachograph. Would be up to them to proof there wasnt.

A large company ive worked for had a truck which you sat at 55mph on the limiter where actually doing about 65mph, no one defected it i guess because they liked it, but tacho showed 55mph. I believe the truck hadnt been played about with, just suddenly happend. So whats to stop it going the other way.

Kenny1975:
Heard on the radio some guy got done for doing 65mph on a road which was a dual carriageway and recently reduced from 70mph to 65mph. He was ■■■■■■ off cause he saw the police everyday going by at way over 50mph.

Eh■■? none of that makes any sense.

Meant to say road was reduced to 50mph limit., which was ignored by most people then the police had a clamp down and he got caught. But he kept on seeing the police regularly travel the road way above the 50mph and decided to get evidence they were speeding.

Kenny1975:
Meant to say road was reduced to 50mph limit.,

Now it makes sense. :wink: :smiley: