Overspeeding & Motorways

I found an old post on this (2007), but would like to double check against the current regs in case they’ve changed.

I understand that the speed limit for Class 1 & 2 is 60mph on UK motorways & that under EU regs, the truck must be limited to 56mph. However, I was under the belief that provided you didn’t tamper with the limiter, you would be legal travelling on a motorway at speeds between 56 & 60 (i.e. when going downhill) and that the overspeed warning on the tacho could be disregarded.

One of the (very) experienced guys at the place I have recently started work at says you’ll get nicked if your clocked going over 56 or if VOSA check your tacho & find the overspeed. Is he correct?

Cheers, Nez

You understand correctly. No point arguing with him, just humour him and Carry on as you are.

russell2587:
No point arguing with him, just humour him and Carry on as you are.

That’s what I was planning to do :slight_smile:

Just wanted to be sure though, cheers

Nezza:
One of the (very) experienced guys at the place I have recently started work at says you’ll get nicked if your clocked going over 56 or if VOSA check your tacho & find the overspeed. Is he correct?

Sometimes Care in the Community works and sometimes it doesn’t Sadly this appears to be one of those times it doesn’t. You’ll just have to make allowances for the mental malnutrition of this guy. Try not to make him angry, don’t look him straight in the eye and you should be okay. :wink:

There is a post by Geebee45 somewhere on here, can’t be arsed searching for it, where he states he would only be interested in an overspeed when he is checking tacho records if the overspeed went on for several minutes. We just don’t have downhill roads long enough in this country to achieve that.

Coffeeholic:
There is a post by Geebee45 somewhere on here, can’t be arsed searching for it, where he states he would only be interested in an overspeed when he is checking tacho records if the overspeed went on for several minutes. We just don’t have downhill roads long enough in this country to achieve that.

That joke was nicked from a German :stuck_out_tongue:

You drive too schnell, You vill be fined.

No, I was going downhill.

Englishman, not even here in Germany do ve have hills 15km long :wink: