Speeding trucks

What do you think about trucks that come flying past you ?. The reason why i ask is on my trip back south down the M6 A38 M40 there where certain trucks and im not kidding were doing 70 mph some of these are uk companies, how and why is this possible ? Do the drivers think its clever and professional why risk your licence , i would love someone to do a article on why companies believe their trucks and drivers are above tha law.

topcat:
Do the drivers think its clever and professional why risk your licence , i would love someone to do a article on why companies believe their trucks and drivers are above tha law.

Still dont know where everyone gets this from :confused:

This subject is kinda topical for our place at the moment,because infringements have come back for drivers doing MARGINALLY over 56 mph.

But hang on a minute…

On the statute book,an HGV can still do 60mph legally on a motorway,yet our lot are asking drivers to sign for infringements,that are within this speed,but over that of the limiter,however,as a tacho has to have a tolerance of +/- 6kph,I don’t see how/why our drivers should be signing.

Ken.

Quinny:
This subject is kinda topical for our place at the moment,because infringements have come back for drivers doing MARGINALLY over 56 mph.

But hang on a minute…

On the statute book,an HGV can still do 60mph legally on a motorway,yet our lot are asking drivers to sign for infringements,that are within this speed,but over that of the limiter,however,as a tacho has to have a tolerance of +/- 6kph,I don’t see how/why our drivers should be signing.

Ken.

Also, how many of you have been going down a long drag, looked down at the tacho, and thought oops :blush:

:smiley: Must just be me then :wink:
And the Highway code which the courts generally accept as the law, still says the maximum speed fot an LGV on the Motorway is 60mph,

Its something to do with if a tacho is fitted and the vehicle is younger than C-reg it is only allowed to do 56mph. Going over that speed is classed as overriding the speed limiter and is an offence. I can’t find the official blurb but I’m sure its something like that.

renaultman:
Also, how many of you have been going down a long drag, looked down at the tacho, and thought oops :blush:

:blush: :blush:

The EU speed limiter regulations say that the limiter should limit the power when the vehicle reaches a pre set speed. (85 kph ±6 kph for artics).
So going down hill on a UK motorway where the national speed limit applies, 60 mph in an artic is legal. :smiling_imp:

Going downhill at 60mph is called over speeding and is ,AFAIK,treated as an offence.

Over Speeding
Exceeding the authorised speed of the vehicle, defined as any period of more than 60 seconds during which the vehicle’s measured speed exceeds the limit setting for the speed limitation device laid down in Council Directive 92/6/EEC of 10 February 1992 on the installation and use of speed limitation devices for certain categories of motor vehicles in the Community.

I’m not saying it hasn’t happened when I’ve been driving but I do try not to let it happen. I get paid by the hour so normally try to stay within all the limits.

hollywood:
Over Speeding
Exceeding the authorised speed of the vehicle, defined as any period of more than 60 seconds during which the vehicle’s measured speed exceeds the limit setting for the speed limitation device laid down in Council Directive 92/6/EEC of 10 February 1992 on the installation and use of speed limitation devices for certain categories of motor vehicles in the Community

Shame the VOSA guys dont stick to the same rules, as one told me a couple of years ago that overspeeding the limiter on a decent, would only be classed as ilegal inexccess of the 60mph UK lgv speed limit, aithough exceeding the 56mph speed limiter regulation speed limit, over a sustained period would be treated as both a C & U infringment, and speeding offence. So thats what i’ve been working to :blush: find me a brick wall, my head aint hurting enough yet :wink:

hollywood:
Going downhill at 60mph is called over speeding and is ,AFAIK,treated as an offence.

Over Speeding
Exceeding the authorised speed of the vehicle, defined as any period of more than 60 seconds during which the vehicle’s measured settled speed exceeds the limit setting for the speed limitation device laid down in Council Directive 92/6/EEC of 10 February 1992 on the installation and use of speed limitation devices for certain categories of motor vehicles in the Community.

You missed out the word settled so 60 mph downhill is ok, yeeeeeeeeeeehaaw :smiling_imp:

Can’t see what the problem is doing 70 down Windy Hill with a full load on meself :laughing: . :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob K:
Can’t see what the problem is doing 70 down Windy Hill with a full load on meself :laughing: . :stuck_out_tongue:

I would’nt know whats its like at that speed Rob (honest :smiling_imp: ), but a guy in a pub with a wonky leg, one eye and a dog told me on a sunday in May about 10 years ago that its very difficult to exceed 70 coasting down windy hill because the air resistance from the westerly winds start to bite and hold you back, so it really is quite safe :slight_smile: .

Big Joe:
but a guy in a pub with a wonky leg, one eye and a dog told me on a sunday in May about 10 years ago…

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Big Joe:

Rob K:

I would’nt know whats its like at that speed Rob (honest :smiling_imp: ), but a guy in a pub with a wonky leg, one eye and a dog told me on a sunday in May about 10 years ago that its very difficult to exceed 70 coasting down windy hill because the air resistance from the westerly winds start to bite and hold you back, so it really is quite safe :slight_smile: .

That’s funny, cos another bloke in a pub told me 70mph is a doddle at 44t :wink: , it’s stopping that isn’t :imp:

Rob K:

i carnt see a problem "“GOING UP WINDY” doing 70 either :wink: as fast as it will go is my saying, 56 ■■■■■, stop moaning man

but isn’t it all irrelevant if tacho’s can’t be used as evidence of speeding offences? going back to the original post, i’ve noticed recently theres not been so many flying past on that stretch of road, at one time going down there and onto the 42 and even the a42 used to be like the wacky races but even the foreign lads seem to have slowed down a bit.
70mph with a full load on? they’re braver men than me!

paul b:
but isn’t it all irrelevant if tacho’s can’t be used as evidence of speeding offences? going back to the original post, i’ve noticed recently theres not been so many flying past on that stretch of road, at one time going down there and onto the 42 and even the a42 used to be like the wacky races but even the foreign lads seem to have slowed down a bit.
70mph with a full load on? they’re braver men than me!

Good job you’re not emigrating to the States then, Paul :laughing: .
I had a Kew Dodge with a Perkins 6354 and 28’ four-in-line trailer that could do 75mph in the 60s. :open_mouth: Now that is scary :unamused:

And as far as tacho evidence is concerned it can be taken into account by the LA. :cry: .

Salut, David.

Spardo:
Good job you’re not emigrating to the States then, Paul :laughing: .
I had a Kew Dodge with a Perkins 6354 and 28’ four-in-line trailer that could do 75mph in the 60s. :open_mouth: Now that is scary :unamused:

Salut, David.

In one of Trucking’s periodic American features a while back I remember they mentioned that some drivers claimed that their rigs were capable of 90mph and more. I don’t know if this is a case of said drivers being a bit economical with the truth - or whether you’d have the gearing to do those speeds?