Speed camera detectors? or should i say road safety systems/

Have you got one? are you thinking of buying one?.

I am thinking of getting one but im not sure what one i havent really done much research but i saw this and thought it was ■■■■ cheap http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=12529&src=Home .

If anyone has info on a better one let me know.

YES i do try to obey the limits as much as possible and YES i know its the ONLY safeguard to prevent points on the licence but covering ones arse is always a better option and this just looked too cheap to be true.

looks good i had a different one a few years ago and it picked up all the sensors on top of the traffic lights and then when i was on the A1 there was a copper on top of the bridge pointing his speed camara down on the traffic and the stupid thing didnt make a sound.

get see how it goes and let me know cos il get one as well and claim it as expenses.

I know nothing about these things although am thinking of getting one, however £80 sounds too cheap to me considering you need it to be 100% efficient to be any use.

I use one of these

roadpilot-gps.co.uk/geodesy-plus.htm

i bought it of fleabay £60 plus a £50 per year subscription and its saved my ■■■ many a time, It does’nt find mobile cameras but it is 100% accurate on the fixed ones :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

simon

SimonRS2K:
I use one of these

roadpilot-gps.co.uk/geodesy-plus.htm

i bought it of fleabay £60 plus a £50 per year subscription and its saved my ■■■ many a time, It does’nt find mobile cameras but it is 100% accurate on the fixed ones :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

simon

£225 RRP which was about the figure I had in mind although I think a radar detector would be very useful also as I find fixed cameras easier to spot than these unmarked ‘safety vans’

*** Save £225 on your next purchase ***

Don’t Speed!

I read somewhere a while back they are illegal in Europe and they are considering making them so here so hang on to your hard earned cash just now

I nearly always get about 2 miles worth of lorries flashing their lights and giving the thumbs down before I come across the mobile cameras. That’ll do for my detector.

About 18 mths ago. my mate got caught doing 104mph. She already had speeding points on her licence. So with this, she was facing a ban. During the time she waited to go to court, she found herself facing a further 3 points for speeding again! A mate took these points for her. And with a good brief and plenty of blah, she was let off with 9 points and a big fine.

As a result of this, she got herself a Road Angel. I have remembered nothing about them. Except that they cost a fortune! About £380 i think.

:smiley: Hope this helps. Doubt it. Too expensive. Oh well…i tried! :cry:

Speed camera detectors to be banned.

But there will be no changes made on drinking and driving
The Department for Transport said it would seek to ban the dashboard devices as soon as possible because of fears motorists were using them to break speed limits without being caught. Thousands of drivers have installed the technology after a huge rise in the use of cameras and other speed enforcement equipment by police.
The detection devices are already outlawed in many European countries including France and Ireland.
A Department for Transport spokeswoman said: “We are aware of the problem and as soon as a legislative opportunity becomes available we will seek to make these devices illegal.”
Road safety groups welcomed the announcement. Rob Gifford of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety told The Times: “This is a long overdue closing of a legal loophole. Speed camera detectors should not be needed by law-abiding drivers.”
On the issue of websites showing where speed cameras were located, transport minister David Jamieson yesterday said he was happy for people to know where the cameras were. However, he did not want information to be passed on revealing whether or not they were switched on.
He told the House of Commons Transport Committee: “If there is a map showing where they are, then I think that’s a good idea, because people will then be very careful in that area.”

fleetplan.co.uk/news_04_07_22_cameras.html

they are going to get you one way or another

jacqueline:
About 18 mths ago. my mate got caught doing 104mph. She already had speeding points on her licence. So with this, she was facing a ban. During the time she waited to go to court, she found herself facing a further 3 points for speeding again! A mate took these points for her. And with a good brief and plenty of blah, she was let off with 9 points and a big fine.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

jacqueline:

As a result of this, she got herself a Road Angel. I have remembered nothing about them. Except that they cost a fortune! About £380 i think.

Despite the fact that I have no points, I did consider one of these. I am led to believe that anything over 6 points can be a barrier to gaining employment as an LGV driver (for a novice driver like myself), this being the case £380 to protect your licence, which costs considerably more and employment prospects is potential value for money. It’s easy to say don’t speed but think about all the roads that have had lower speed limits out on them as well as speed cameras just to catch people out.

i have all the fixed cameras on my satnav also traffic light cameras and known radar traps…as has been said the detectors which can detect radars will become illigal but any type that uses gps cannot as the police ect cannot detect these in your truck/car or even bike

Lucy:

jacqueline:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

:smiley: Sorry, i realise i have given the impression that my mate got away with speeding! Which obviously would only have been possible if she had been considered somebody of importance! My mistake was in using the words “let off”. For this is totally misleading, i now can see! What i should have said is, she was facing a very probable ban. So very lucky not to recieve this.

9 points in total on her licence, is the figure i have in my head.(I didn’t make that clear either! :blush: ) But i am unable to clarify this with her just at the moment. IF i have managed to get this wrong :blush:, then it is more. But obviously less than 12 points!

At the time of her last speeding offence, she returned the speeding form, filling in details saying that this mate was the person driving her car then. So the points were now his.

:smiley: I hope this is now clearer!

jacqueline:

The Road Angel is a good bit of kit but iirc there are two versions and the cheaper of the two isn’t too good. I think the £380 is the dearer and better one.

You’ll find that the cheaper ones are really annoying because things like the electric sliding doors on the front of shops cause them to bleep and all sorts of bizarre stuff like that.

My own view on them is that they’re a waste of time on the whole. I’ve never used one in either wagon or car and have never been caught on either a fixed cam or a mobile one (with the exception of a GATSO on the A1 in Berwickshire many many years ago, which I saw but didn’t realise at the time they could tell the difference between cars and wagons). If you can’t spot them yourself and adjust your speed accordingly considering the bright colour of them, then will you spot the kid at the side of the road ready to run across … :question: :bulb: :bulb:

As far as the mobile ones go, I have to say I’m like Andyroo there, I rely on folks coming the other way to alert me and thank God there’s still a large helping of camaraderie amongst truckers in that respect, me included. :slight_smile: