New speed cameras?

So there I was today,meandering across the Stocksbridge by-pass,near Sheffield,on my way to Tesco Middlewich,with 27 tonne of bagged flour on,and being conscious of the Specs cameras,I’m sitting at the legal 40mph,and minding my own.

Got to the point where the Specs zone had finished,and got the old girl rolling a little bit,and was approaching the junction of the A616/A628 at Langsett reservoir,at about 50mph,when I happened upon 2 cameras near the junction,one on each side of the road,which looked like cctv cameras,however,the one on the right,had a speed camera sign kinda strapped to it.

So it set me thinking.

Are these a new generation camera that is being phased in,or could it be I’m just a bit paranoid?

I know that the ‘speed camera partnerships’ are to unveil digital cameras that don’t need film,hence the chances of getting away with it are about to diminish,but has anyone actually come across any yet?

Ken.

It could be that they are using “average speed” cameras along with cctv to identify the driver.

Were they not the cameras for checking your tax

It could be that they are using “average speed” cameras along with cctv to identify the driver

These cameras were long after the Specs zone.In fact there are 2 of the Gatso variety,between the end of the Specs zone,and these 2 ‘new’ cameras,so I don’t think they will be linked to cameras some miles back.

But there were no vans or people about.

Ken.

makes you wonder why the sales of angle grinders has’nt gone through the roof? :open_mouth:

Its getting bloody dangerous now, you spend so long camera spotting that it has to be affecting overall concentration on other things going on around you… :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Quinny:

It could be that they are using “average speed” cameras along with cctv to identify the driver

These cameras were long after the Specs zone.In fact there are 2 of the Gatso variety,between the end of the Specs zone,and these 2 ‘new’ cameras,so I don’t think they will be linked to cameras some miles back.

But there were no vans or people about.

Ken.

There does not have to be now they are automatic you can see some at on some slip roads as you join the m/way they are white and i think they have what looks like a black box at the side of them

Smee:
Its getting bloody dangerous now, you spend so long camera spotting that it has to be affecting overall concentration on other things going on around you… :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Never look for them as I have no reason to exept for they way they affect the driving of others:D :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

Smee:

Never look for them as I have no reason to :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As it say’s in a very famous book can’t remember which one…Let him without sin cast the first stone…
:angry: :angry: :angry: :imp:

Smee:

ROG:

Smee:

As it say’s in a very famous book can’t remember which one…Let him without sin cast the first stone…

Was the book “ROADCRAFT” :question:

ROG:

Smee:

ROG:

Smee:

As it Say’s in a very famous book can’t remember which one…Let him without sin cast the first stone…

Was the book “ROADCRAFT” :question:

Before we go any further I think I should point out a few facts. Apart from holding a driving licence to drive everything on wheels, I am also a member of The Institute of Advanced Motorists, RoSPA Advanced Drivers Association and a DSA qualified Instructor for groups C, C+E and D.
So I think I can speak with some authority on the subject of so called speed cameras. They are in fact a stealth tax on the driver trouble is peoples livelihoods are at risk… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Smee:
Before we go any further I think I should point out a few facts. Apart from holding a driving licence to drive everything on wheels, I am also a member of The Institute of Advanced Motorists, RoSPA Advanced Drivers Association and a DSA qualified Instructor for groups C, C+E and D.
So I think I can speak with some authority on the subject of so called speed cameras. They are in fact a stealth tax on the driver trouble is peoples livelihoods are at risk… :imp: :imp: :imp:

Your views on this and mine are totally opposite as my saying is “If you dont like the rules, dont play the game” so I think we are going to have to agree to differ.
PS nice to communicate with another advanced driver though.

ROG:
…PS nice to communicate with another advanced driver though.

Someone call for me? :wink: :smiley:

I don’t want to start a debate, but I’d much rather have coppers than camergas. Even ignoring the “discretion” regarding speeding, there’s thousands of thins a copper can do that a camera can’t.

Smee:

ROG:

Smee:

I don’t see any stones being thrown :open_mouth: :smiley:

I do see a ‘holier than thou’ comment though :unamused: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
(Thats also a hint about the book Smee :laughing: :laughing: )

Went past them again today,and had a good look at them.

At the bottom of them is a metal box,like an ammunition box,and I’m guessing that they hold the workings in them.

I don’t think they are speed cameras,as there doesn’t seem to be an electricity supply close by to power them,and also coming from the Manchester end,it would seem that the run up to that particular one,is too short to get any speed up for an HGV,so I’m guessing they may be data collecting of some sort.

Only time will tell…

Ken.

Atleast I’m not the only truck driver driving at 40 through that long specs zone near Stocksbridge, I feel as though I’m in reverse sometimes, when every truck roars past me at 56ish!

As SMEE has all those qualifications to his CV I would have thought he would know the speed limit of the road he was on and not need to watch out for speed cameras because he would be under the limit anyway. And remember speed cameras are only going to stealth tax you if you break the speed limit, and yes I do have 3 points from a speed camera, the only ones in 30 years of driving so I am not perfect but do not plan on getting any more!

sah in a German Newspaper a Photo of a Speedcamera who can take 360degrees Pictures,wherever one is too Fast,and that from front and Rear of Vehicle (Fun for Bikers)

PeteG:

ROG:

seems there’s a few us populating this board. Maybe we should have our own subsection?

Driveroneuk:

PeteG:

ROG:

seems there’s a few us populating this board. Maybe we should have our own subsection?

Good idea…It could be called the “wheel shufflers forum” :wink: :smiley: