Speed camera detectors

I’d like to know what people’s opinion is regarding speed camera detectors. Do any other drivers use them? I’m not ashamed to admit that I own a Road Angel 2, which is designed to forewarn about accident blackspots and other hazards.

I understand there are plans for the government to outlaw speed camera detectors. However, those that use the GPS network (like mine) for pinpointing the position of fixed cameras and accident blackspots will still be allowed.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal choice, so no hysterical nonsense, just sensible, grown-up opinions please .

Dazza

I think yes they should be allowed

Havent got one yet but im planning on a geodosey after christmas as ive just started driving round staffordshire, Talk about speed camera capital theres that many i think they use the flashes as street lighting :cry: :cry:

simon

They should be allowed. They are a gadget and it should be illegal to ban any gadget. :wink:

what would be the reason to outlaw them? after all they only let you know where the cameras are so you slow down in time,isn’t that the idea of the cameras in the first place?
if i were cynical i’d say the only problem the government could have with them is that they would reduce revenue from the cameras but as anyone who’s been caught will know you get a nice letter from the old bill stating that speed cameras are not their to make money! yeh right :unamused:

should be allowed i got a database of cameras on my tom tom can come in handy when you are in the middle of nowhere and the pop 1 on an a road

Havent they banned talking on mobile phones?, funny isnt it

Of course they will ban it, they want your money & they dont care how they get it, afterall they have threatened drivers that flash to warn of mobile traps on the roads.

But as with most things, it will be nearly unenforcable, and guess what if they catch you with on they will fine you, suprise suprise :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just about all new laws & bans coming out today results in fines, any new motorways look like they will be toll roads. We seem to pay taxes to have stupid laws enforced and to be fined for even the slightest breaking of the law. Afterall 5 mph over in a 30 is a whole different ball game to 5mph over on the motorway, but you recieve the same fine

i think they should be allowed,but i’m sure i read it in a paper up here that a driver got stopped and booked by the police for having it on his dashboard. :wink: strange

SimonRS2K:
I think yes they should be allowed

Havent got one yet but im planning on a geodosey after christmas as ive just started driving round staffordshire, Talk about speed camera capital theres that many i think they use the flashes as street lighting :cry: :cry:

simon

simon take a look at this well cheap

scancom.co.uk/product.php/7/4/

kitkat:
i think they should be allowed,but i’m sure i read it in a paper up here that a driver got stopped and booked by the police for having it on his dashboard. :wink: strange

Camera detectors and such are legal but jammers arnt as they class it as obstructing an officer in the course of his duty

simon

A detector will warn drivers of cameras, accident blackspots etc and will encourage them to slow down.

The government want us to slow down so it would appear only the police want to ban them. I don’t suppose it has got anything to do with loss of revenue from fines, has it?

I had always thought tax avoidance was not illegal, so ban them.

daxi:

A detector is not tax avoidance. Fines are not classed as taxation. You only pay fines IF you break the law. A detector assists you to stay within the law.

Tax avoidance is illegal, as is tax evasion - the only difference between the two is about five years in jail :wink: (Just ask Lester Piggot or Ken Dodd - they know which is which)

But will they allow you to have them 200m in advance to stop the tin box pilots breaking for the speed cameras (ratted rant over - and it;s Wendsday) :unamused: :laughing: :smiley: .

killsville:
Tax avoidance is illegal, as is tax evasion - the only difference between the two is about five years in jail :wink: (Just ask Lester Piggot or Ken Dodd - they know which is which)

LMBO! :laughing:

By the way Dazza, wheres the “couldnt give a monkeys button” old pal? :wink:

Surely it’s easier to ban the camera rather than the detector?? :laughing:

killsville:

daxi:

A detector is not tax avoidance. Fines are not classed as taxation. You only pay fines IF you break the law. A detector assists you to stay within the law.

your both wrong tax avoidance is like any other crime its only illegal when you get caught :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

Until 5th November I didn’t have an opinion either way. Since getting zapped whilst on the bike I now have a Snooper S4. It alerts you to how many of the mobile camera vans are lurking around. It also suprised me how many fixed sites there are around Notts. Wonder if I can spend the points in Sainsburys like I can those Nectar ones?

killsville:
A detector assists you to stay within the law.

Actually, I’d say that it actually assists you to break the law, just not whilst you’ve got a chance of being caught. If you’ve got a detector, you can go breaking the speed limit everywhere that it doesn’t detect a camera/radar, whereas if you don’t have a camera, there’s more of an incentive for you to stick to the limit all of the time.

MrFlibble, it’s ok to say “if you don’t have a camera detector, there’s more of an incentive for you to stick to the limit all of the time.” but do you honestly think that looking down at the speedo every four or five lampposts makes someone a safe driver? Pull the other one. I can remember ten years ago when cameras were about as rare as hen’s teeth, and I also remember that back then, drivers weren’t paranoid about speeding and they actually took notice about everything around them and were not obsessed with how fast they were going and what the limit was.

For God’s sake I’m a vocational driver. I, along with most on this site travel tens of thousands of miles a year, and as the law stands, all that stands in the way of me losing my licence is Four minor slip-ups in Three years!

If I lose my licence I’d lose my livelihood, and at the risk of sounding like a drama queen, that would affect me more than if I mugged an old lady.

Dazza

geebee45:
Until 5th November I didn’t have an opinion either way. Since getting zapped whilst on the bike I now have a Snooper S4. It alerts you to how many of the mobile camera vans are lurking around. It also suprised me how many fixed sites there are around Notts. Wonder if I can spend the points in Sainsburys like I can those Nectar ones?

If you get a full card (12 points) you should be eligible for a toaster or a kettle. Or maybe just put them towards a bus ticket!