Speed camaras detectors whats best and how much?

going into dunstable this morning and i was going along saw the 30 sign thought i would check my speed realised i was doing 35 thought i would slow down but too late i was already passing the van in the middle of the road with the camera poking out the back!!!

i dont mind paying about £100 but not much more any help appreciated

found this one what do think

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNOOPER-S3-NEO-GP … dZViewItem

Most camera detectors on the market will only really detect fixed cameras, ie, Gatso, Truvelo and Specs ect. I know they say they do mobile aswell but they are not that reliable and to be honest if it is a lazer camera, by the time the detector has alarmed it is probably to late as they will have already clocked your speed.

I use Road Angel 2 on a daily basis and it rarely picks up mobile cameras but is very usefull for fixed cameras in areas you dont know.

Im affraid its the old case of you get what you pay for so as most decent ones are in the £300-£400 mark I cant see the one you put a link to being much cop. Only in my opinion of course :slight_smile:

You can get a used geodosy of ebay for about 50 - 60 notes then its £50 a year subscription they dont do mobile cameras but they are 100% accurate for the fixed ones and as said above if you get zapped of a lazer no detector is gonna save you as they arnt that good

simon

I own a Valentine One which cost me £599 a few of years ago. If you look at http://www.naonline.co.uk you will see its spec and also details of many other detectors.

The Valentine One still is the best out there but this is reflected in its price; it is still £599!! It doesn’t, however, use any GPS system.

As for being too late to pick up a Lazer once it has zapped you, it’s true. The thing with this one is that, due to how sensitive it is, it will give a lot of warning (1½ miles) of other vehicles being zapped and so you can react accordingly. It is also the best bit of kit at detecting Gatsos.

To be honest, I have done quite a few courses since I bought the Valentine One, one of which was a Road Safety Officer and another was Accident Investigator. The course content, and subsequent ‘jobs’ I have worked on, was probably the best thing ever for reminding me about not speeding. :cry:

I am only human and therefore prone to ‘the occaisional lapse in concentration’ but very rarely bother with the detector. I was even considering putting it on eBay recently…

JD, it really is a case of ‘you get what you pay for’ and for £100 you will probably end with a bit of kit that a) lets you down, and b) gives you a false sense of security. :unamused:

get a garmin i3 for £199 you get Navigation and you can put a speed camera database on it. it will alert you to truvelo, gatso, 95% of mobile cameras and specs
see my signiture to get the database which is updated monthly

marcus i really have to dissagree about any laser dectector because of the confinement of the beam its unlikey the valentine will pick a lazer a mile and a half away let alone 30 yards away if its being aimed at another car

alix776:
marcus i really have to dissagree about any laser dectector because of the confinement of the beam its unlikey the valentine will pick a lazer a mile and a half away let alone 30 yards away if its being aimed at another car

When the laser ‘bounces off’ its target i.e. the front of a car, it is fragmented in a cloud effect and does not simply just rebound straight back up the line of sight from where it arrived. Admittedly, the fragmented laser is much weaker than a direct hit, however, there is enough of a trace for the Valentine one to pick-up on and therefore alarm.

Effectively the laser is ‘timed’ between the point it is ‘fired’ and the point the fragmented beam arrives back at the equipment. Doing this constantly, many many times per second, but with a differing signature on each ‘zap’, is how the laser gun calculates the target vehicles speed.

I think… :wink: :wink:

Correct me if im wrong but im quite sure that lazer detectors and jammers are soon to be made illegal anyway so you would be wise buying a database device.

Yes in the next year or so camera ‘detectors’ will be illegal, however GPS ones are legal as they only tell you ‘where’ they are rather than detect them.

For a GPS one you’re better off with a Satnav system, because you get far more for your money, also much more useful.

The most effective device for preventing you from getting speeding tickets should already be fitted in you Truck, car or bike as standard.

dennisw1:
The most effective device for preventing you from getting speeding tickets should already be fitted in you Truck, car or bike as standard.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Very true!!

dennisw1:
Yes in the next year or so camera ‘detectors’ will be illegal,

Take a look at the above site I posted; they have an interesting take on this issue, along the lines of how the loophole that allowed the detectors isn’t going to be very easy to close, and so, there may well be quite a bit of life left yet in detectors.

dennisw1:

I’ll have to have a look when I go back to work on Monday. :laughing:

speed camaras detectors whats best

Light weight shoes.

and how much ■■?

Well under a tenner in some of those discount places. The advantage of these over other systems is that they will never be banned.

my mate could do you a dodgy rear number plate for a tenner :smiley:
after all i do live in middlesbrough :wink:
only kidding everybody, though i do know a lad in south bank by the name of dodgy dave :blush: :blush: :blush:

chaversdad:
my mate could do you a dodgy rear number plate for a tenner :smiley:

I can get them cheaper than that :laughing: :smiling_imp: .

though i do know a lad in south bank by the name of dodgy dave

I thought that was a local byelaw in south bank…
that everyone living in the area has to be christened “Dodgy” :wink: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Mind you one of my best mates is from Doggie, and he aint called dodgy

a few other choice names, but not dodgy :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

And i always thought anyone north of watford was Dodgy. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

About the speed camera gizmo`s…save your money…when you see a speed sign…stick to it…no …not the sign…the speed limit…
There is no defence for speeding…and no getting off it either…once your done…your done !! full stop…the way to cheat them …is…dont speed

in a perfect world,then yes your right,stick to the limit and you wont get done,
5 years ago i got done by one on the A1 at alnwick, 53mph in a 40 limit,fair cop i cant argue with that, six weeks later i got done in a 40 down to 30 limit at 34mph at 2.30 am , now thats what annoys me and thays why i bought a snooper, if your over the limit by 1mph 2 bright LED,s flashing at you reminds you no matter what time of the day it is your still going to fast, a bit long winded sorry, but i hope you get my point

chaversdad:
5 years ago i got done by one on the A1 at alnwick, 53mph in a 40 limit,fair cop i cant argue with that

Ahhh, you too :angry: . Seems to be a bit of a revenue earner that one.

chaversdad:
40 down to 30 limit at 34mph at 2.30 am , now thats what annoys me

Annoys me to, lowering the (safe) speed limit just to catch people out to earn revenue. They get their money but the long term effect is to alienate law abiding people which IMO is not a good idea.

Rob K:

chaversdad:
5 years ago i got done by one on the A1 at alnwick, 53mph in a 40 limit,fair cop i cant argue with that

Ahhh, you too :angry: . Seems to be a bit of a revenue earner that one.

i did have 3 points from berwick and every driver i know has 3 points from that stretch.

anyway back to the point i dont im going to get one now ive looked at quite a few on the net and the best for the price was the snooper s3 on ebay for £118.00 then £10 p&p which is ok no problem

BUT

WHAT I DO OBJECT TO IS THE £4.95 A MONTH FOR DOWNLOADS…

now im not tight (yes i am) but its just something else each month to go out of my account and also if i buy it i buy it no paying each month thats a bit of a cheek. i spoke to the bloke who sells them and he said they are excellent for fixed sites cameras but for the laser guns if anything is in your way it wont pick it up till its too late… so whats the point … i have no problem seeing 7’ high yellow poles it s the git jumping out from behind a bush ive got the problem with.