Advice on speed camera detector device

I seem to be getting nobbled by mobile speed cameras too often for my liking, so:

Are there sat navs out there that detect mobile as well as fixed cameras? I read somewhere a bit ago that it was illegal for sat navs to detect mobile speed cameras, is this true?

Of the Road Angel / Snooper type devices which is the best?

It would be for use in the car and I’m preferably not looking for anything that I would have to update every five minutes on my PC.

Any genuine advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Simon

Simon71:
I seem to be getting nobbled by mobile speed cameras too often for my liking,

Why :question:

Because a mobile speed camera will nobble you 5 mph over the limit, and not everyone thank god watches the speedo like a hawk, some keep thier eye on the road, many careful motorists have been nobbled by these cash cows, esp by the ones that are ‘hidden’…

To err is human, to be prfect is half the members on here :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Coddy:
Because a mobile speed camera will nobble you 5 mph over the limit, and not everyone thank god watches the speedo like a hawk, some keep thier eye on the road, many careful motorists have been nobbled by these cash cows, esp by the ones that are ‘hidden’…

To err is human, to be prfect is half the members on here :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Only half?? :laughing:

i got 3 points for doing 4 mph over the limit even the the speedo was reading dead on 30 lol

My tom tom tells me where the cams are but i hear road angel is good and worth every penny

Coddy:
not everyone thank god watches the speedo like a hawk, some keep thier eye on the road,

All the ones I teach must be the cream of all drivers then because they can all do it ok :exclamation: :exclamation:

ROG:

Simon71:

I find it difficult keeping to 30mph, I’m not a boy racer - it’s usually 36 - 38 mph but twice in 10 months isn’t not good. So that’s why I need a bit of help.

Simon71:

ROG:

Simon71:

I find it difficult keeping to 30mph, I’m not a boy racer - it’s usually 36 - 38 mph but twice in 10 months isn’t not good. So that’s why I need a bit of help.

I’ve had two endorsements in 25+ years, both for speeding, I don’t hold anyone responsible but myself. If you can’t pay the fine, don’t do the crime.
You got nicked, live with it.

Simon71:
‘…I seem to be getting nobbled by mobile speed cameras too often for my liking…’

No offence, Simon, but doesn’t bother me for any speed-jockey to be reminded of sociability

Simon71:
‘…I find it difficult keeping to 30mph…’

Using the speed limiter in the truck & cruise-control in the car, etc, really helps me.

Seriously, and I don’t mean to be smug, but they are a mega-bonus in lowering ones ‘stress’ - a ghastly word but we know that it’s accumulative effect knackers us with the constant need to consistently gawp at the speedo. Removing or reducing that constant ‘need’ is a great asset in allowing concentration to focus on other stuff (young mothers, schoolies, etc)

Also, having recently had a pay-cut per hour, I am damned if I’ll pick-up a ticket by working illegally faster for the client…

ROG:

Coddy:
not everyone thank god watches the speedo like a hawk, some keep thier eye on the road,

All the ones I teach must be the cream of all drivers then because they can all do it ok :exclamation: :exclamation:

No, they are just on best behaviour because they have an instructor sat next to them, Rog. Good to tell how long it is since you last drove commercially in the “real” world. :unamused:

I think he got a shift with an agency yesterday. :laughing:

Simon71:
I seem to be getting nobbled by mobile speed cameras too often for my liking, so:

Are there sat navs out there that detect mobile as well as fixed cameras? I read somewhere a bit ago that it was illegal for sat navs to detect mobile speed cameras, is this true?

Of the Road Angel / Snooper type devices which is the best?

It would be for use in the car and I’m preferably not looking for anything that I would have to update every five minutes on my PC.

Any genuine advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Simon

In response to your question, rather than giving my opinions on your speeding, which I don’t really care about.

There is no Sat-Nav devices which DETECT fixed cameras, The camera locations are on the devices because the government issue GPS location information for all fixed cameras, just like the AA road atlas.

There are devices which are available which will DETECT mobile laser and radar devices. The legality of these devices is rather a gray and murky area where the law is concerned.

There are no sat nav’s available with a detector, the closest you can get is one with information of mobile speed camera hotspots.

The ability of theses detectors is questionable to say the least.

There are some sites that offer POIs for cameras and they do include mobile sites. Thats not to say anyone is there, but members log mobile cameras sites when they see them and that gets onto the database pretty quick, not full proof, but possibly the best you will get for the mobile ones. I had a UK version at it was pretty good, I don’t speed, but a warning is nice. Just before I left the UK I got a thing on my iPhone called Cams Ahoy, £2 or something like that and that bleeps away as you approach a fixed and mobile site, tells you the speed and name of the road bah bah bah and saves having to cart the Sat Nav around if your not using it to route.

Lucy:

ROG:

Coddy:

No, they are just on best behaviour because they have an instructor sat next to them, Rog. Good to tell how long it is since you last drove commercially in the “real” world. :unamused:

I was referring to the advanced but I see your point - just goes to show that it is easily possible to do though :wink:

The level of instruction is irrelevant, ROG. They have nothing else to think about other than getting it right. Which is about as far from commercial pressures as it gets.

Put a cd in your windscreen instead cos its as much use as a detector IMO :confused:

Simon, I’ll answer you mate. I am not whiter-than-white.

I used to own a Road Angel. It had fixed locations stored in it’s memory and claimed to have a laser detector also.

However, you needed to download updates — which you had to pay for - so eventually I sold it.

If I speed it’s usually only a few miles over the limit, so with most cameras painted yellow I decided it was a gimmick that I could live without.

I don’t know how well laser detectors work, but I was told that when they start bleeping it is usually because the laser has already locked onto your car i.e. you’ve already been booked. Hence they do work, but not in the way people think.

Lucy:

My thoughts exactly Lucy. It must be great to be Rog and never put a foot wrong.

His signature always makes me laugh. It reminds me of the saying “The Big I Am!” :grimacing:
A tip for you Rog, no-one likes a smart-arse.

Lucy:
The level of instruction is irrelevant, ROG. They have nothing else to think about other than getting it right. Which is about as far from commercial pressures as it gets.

Please explain what commercial pressure would stop a driver from driving correctly :question:

ROG:

Lucy:

Please explain what commercial pressure would stop a driver from driving correctly :question:

You’re reading the wrong forums if you need to ask that… :unamused:

In the real world? Time pressure, traffic pressure, pressure to make a delivery before the customer shuts, pressure to get home before your time runs out, pressure to make it to somewhere safe to park, all sorts of things which could distract you for long enough that you allow your speed to creep up slightly, and where an audible reminder of the proximity of a camera would help you to stay focussed and legal.

You really have completely forgotten what it’s like to drive for a living, haven’t you Rog? :neutral_face: