Southampton - Any decent Class 1 work?

Just wondered if anyone knew of any half decent work with nights away ? I live in West Dorset and need the nights away so I dont have to travel 75 miles each way to work every day - the only stipulation being that it must be Class 1 work - any help would be appreciated - thanks guys - Ollie.

PS the only Class 1 job going here is £5.75/hr (max 50 hours), this is a 3.30 start. Drive to Brixham, handball 20 tonnes of fish off, handball 20 tonnes of fish back on, back to base, handball 20 tonnes of fish onto another trailer - then you can go home! (if the weather is bad - no fishing = no pay) :frowning:

Hanbury Davies, on containers, will be away all week or most of it.
Go to hanburydavies.co.uk/ click on vacancies in the bottom left corner (takes a while to load up sometimes) then ring Geoff Thatcher.
Money is about £500 a week topline, all decent motors, mostly new M.A.N space cabs, they run 100% legal.
Speak to “ted glenn” on here for more info, although he is probably away til the end of the week.
If you dont fancy Hanbury, there are plenty of container hauliers in the area, Speak to LucyR is your best bet.

Hanbury Davies, at Southampton, is often looking for drivers. Does that say something?..Like I must be stooopid!!

Ollie…

Having just left West Dorset myself, I can 100% understand why you’re looking at running out of Southampton - in fact that’s exactly what I did, and the firm still haven’t replaced me (I know this because I’m still on there, just out of the Northern yard)!

Basically, most of the container firms will give you the nights-out if you want them, since they’re finding that more and more of the locally based drivers don’t. Steer clear of the ones who don’t go much beyond 150 mile radius (Pitters, Dart, Roadways to give you a few off the top of my head) since you’ll be having a lot of unpaid “nights-out” in the yard…which leaves you with people like Hanburys, Debens, Pentalvers (although again make it clear you need to be out) etc.

There are also a lot of subbies/smaller firms who run trucks out of the West country but working out of Southampton…Brian Raynor springs to mind (Frome based but out all week - decent motors, average pay) although be prepared to make slightly less since they tend to be lower down the food chain - its offsetting the wage dufference against the travelling costs where the trick comes in.

Average take-home in the area for 4 nights-out and 60-65hrs on boxes is around the £400 mark, although the bigger firms pay a bit more…I’ve always been prepared to take the £400-ish since I hate being a number, but it’s horses for courses on that one…

Best of luck, whatever you decide…there are all the car transporter (ECM, ANSA,etc) and distribution firms (Royers, Offers, Elliot Sargeant et al) to think about as well…and you know that general and ag firm with the green and white pigs on wheels? Trust me, you’re not that desperate yet!!!.. :wink:

LucyR:
Having just left West Dorset myself

Didnt realise youd left the south country, you had enough of portsmouth then?

LucyR:
Brian Raynor springs to mind (Frome based but out all week - decent motors, average pay)

I would put raynors in the mop and bucket money area to be honest after what he offered me.

Gurner:
Didnt realise youd left the south country, you had enough of portsmouth then?

No, just one of the inhabitants…plus it was time to come home! (it was Portland, btw) :wink:

I would put raynors in the mop and bucket money area to be honest after what he offered me.

So would I…but when I said average I meant for the West Country, where you’d be lucky to get the mop! It also used to be part profit-share, which is also pretty standard for the area - any idea if that’s still the case Chris? Were you looking at the container side or TNT? :open_mouth:

Yeh sorry, twas portland, dunno why i put portsmouth.
It was the TNT work i was offered work on, my brother knows him pretty well and did a bit of work for him aswell, and tells me that he pays the same for TNT as he does containers, and he also has a couple of bulk tippers which is the same money.
But then again i could be wrong!

he also has a couple of bulk tippers

That I didn’t know…does he remember a lad called Trev who came out of the office and went back on the road, looking after the container boys? Drives a silver Actros Megaspace thing…spoilt he is… :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

He might also know some of Martin Wills’ ex-drivers (yes, me too)…there were several on there at one point…(Martin died rather suddenly last Jan, incidentally - he was only in his early 40s…and for all that was said about him, his drivers and ex-drivers were out in force at the funeral, which just goes to show he wasn’t all bad…)

Thanks guys :slight_smile: that should be more than enough info to be getting on with,
probably have a day or two in Southampton to check out whats on offer.