Some Of The Motors Ive Driven

My 1st brand new artic (it replaced an R113 4x2, G reg) 143 420 M reg, pic taken in the ring for the grand finalists at Peterboro Truckfest in 1995. I was pulling tilts out of Felixstowe with this for Continental Cargo Carriers a Dutch company.

When i got the urge to go abroad, i got a job with this firm, as i knew one of the two drivers on the artics. My interview went like this with the boss… have you been abroad before? only with my dad in his motor… are you married? no… have you got any kids? no. that was the interview, then he said he didint have anything as yet, the next week he rang me and said theres a job if i want it, driving an E reg F16 that hed just bought, so i said yes please :sunglasses: , the following week i was off to Spandau in Berlin, my 1st trip over the water :smiley: , 6 months or so later, the 3 trucks all went and were replaced with brand new FH 12 420 CD trim Globetrotters, this pic was taken en route to Spain if i remember.

After working for Morrison Freight for around a year, then getting married and taking on a local job, i started to go back over the water, unfortunatly, the money was no where near what the boss said it was, and took 6 days when he said it was do-able in 5, well it was do-able in 5 if you went non-stop from Nurenburg to Chelmsford! The worst motor ive driven on top of all that, didnt make this one of my most favourite jobs. A 420 6X2 tag axle Magnum, M reg, that was 3 years old when i got it, and it had never grossed over 23 ton in its life. The fact it was a 6x2 was purely for the cheaper tax.

Another new job saw me with another brand new truck, this time an R reg Daf XF Space Cab 4x0 430, same old thing there, with the money being rubbish, then a call from someone i knew who lives near me ringing me and offering me a job working for a company in Sweden, i took over the regular run to England that KW was doing as he was moving to Belgium, i inherited his 4x2 420CD trim Globetrotter, and after a while ended up with yet another brand new motor :grimacing: :sunglasses: a 380 CDtrim 6x2 Globetrotter

This is truck i drive now, but it is the 2nd time ive worked here, the first time was when the job in Sweden finished and the boss(who owns this Scaniaand who ive known for a long time) offered me a job and i could pick what motor i wanted, i said either an XL Globetrotter or a Super Space Cab XF, or aV8 Topline,and its gotta be a left ■■■■■■,on condition that i can go abroad i would work for him, he said ok, no problem, but between then and the day the truck turned up, he couldnt find anything that paid better than the UK work he was doing, so i got a King Of The Road 144 530, ANOTHER brand new motor.

Then i got offered a job doing a regular run to Athens, couldnt say no really, after around a year only driving in the UK, the bloke who had the work was expanding and had just ordered a couple of Super Space Cab Daf XF"s, and i was going to get a hand me down, an R reg XL Globetrotter, then someone told him how i spend ages polishing motors etc, and he said he"d rather i had aone of the new Dafs, as one or two of the other drivers didnt take a lot of care with them, so i ended up getting… go on, have a guess… yep, another brand new motor, this one was a 480 4x2 XF left ■■■■■■, after a few months, i also got a brand new trailer, that stayed hooked up to my motor, a Montracon box van.
We took finished goods for Marks and Spencer from Hemel Hemstead down to Athens, via Ancona in Italy, to Patras, came back empty to load in Prato in Italy (not too far from the leaning tower of Pisa) we bought clothes from Prato up to Blyth, and back home for a few days off before going to do the same again, it was an 11 day round trip.
This was also my favourite looking truck ive driven

After a year the money started not to appear, so off i went again and walked into another job, doing mainly Germany, with a bit of Denmark, Switzerland, and Holland.Had to drive a 570 Megaspace Actros and a 430 Space Cab before i got what i wanted to drive, ended up with a 530 Super Space Cab, amazingly enough, it wasnt new :open_mouth: , just a Y reg, but a very nice motor. The quarry photos were taken in North Wales.

Now im back driving the white Scania 144 again, stuck on UK for the time being.

Excellent set of photos.

95XF’s best trucks ever love them - those 2 look superb.

great pics kindle that mcgovern daf was a nice motor and i do like the topliner .youve certainley had some nice trucks mate.is that young lad with frosts and that fancy topliner still on irf .that thing was always spotless :laughing:

Yes he is Carl, hes just had the led lights put up the back of his spoiler kit, it does get touched up now and again, eg, the chassis got sprayed last year for Truckfest, does look a tidy motor though.

Great Pics kindle530 :smiley:

mmmh kindle, just a quicky bud, the red super space?? with the bull bar on it?? did he have two of those motors with bull bars on by any chance■■?
you are a lucky bugger when it comes to motors, daz

yes he did globby, AV 52 MGO(mine) and MHO. They came together, when they went, they went without the Bullbars, no idea where they went though. I did see mine a couple of weeks ago with a tautliner on, it had an air con unit on roof just after i left as well.

good pic’s kindle shame about the lack of euro work for you.

have you been offered any but crap money or is there just none about :question:

Hello jd, been offered one job on euro, but money was terrible, i had my fingers in a couple of pies as they say, but they didnt materialise into anything, its the way the countrys going mate, there just doesnt seem to be anything about. I keep looking, but seems a waste of time to be honest.
Maybe i should stick with what ive got, its not that bad a job, and at least i get paid every week.

Excellent, some excellent motor and trailer kits, it is very looks european truck style ! not a proper british truck! :laughing:

thank for post the your pics

Ben

lol, kindle, i know where the bull bars are■■? both of them in fact …in our garage at work :wink: :wink: , thought i new them in that purple / blue colour, you see you learn something new every day, lol, aint seen you for a few weeks now bud on the old boaring M180, daz

I did wonder where they were! they (and a few other bits on the units) were painted in Ford RS Cosworth blue so i was told, they were just sprayed and put on, unfortunatly they werent prepared properly, so they did flake a bit.
It did set the motor off though, took ages to clean as well :laughing:
Im on holiday this week, so back in the saddle next week, will keep me eyes peeled for ya bud, take it easy.

yep keep mi eyes open for u this time lol, catch ya pal, daz

:smiley: :smiley:

alright mate the pic of the light blue fh was that paul williams out of chadwell st mary essex?

globby 480:
lol, kindle, i know where the bull bars are■■? both of them in fact …in our garage at work :wink: :wink: , thought i new them in that purple / blue colour, you see you learn something new every day, lol, aint seen you for a few weeks now bud on the old boaring M180, daz

You can tell if they are the same, as one has a load of filler in the bottom left, looking from the front, it got damaged while i was loading melons in a field in the south of Greece, i hit a rock in a field, the other one is not quite straight as a car went into the front of it, so i hope you got em for a good price.
Steve

Nice pics Carl. The load behind the McGovern daf looks like it was loaded by someone who knew what they were doing, I wonder who it was?
Steve

530 Power, yoy are correct mate! There was me and Derek and Bob, when the 4 new ones came home he took on another driver called Ramsey, from Ronnie Hart up Leighton Buzzead (i think) way. Nice trucks, crap wages.

Nice to see you got a weekend at home Steve, mmmmmmmmm, trailer loaded by someone who knew what they were doing eh??.. Well it was loaded by someone who damaged a bullbar in Greece and had a run in with a car! Im saying nowt else :wink: I know you loaded that trailer, am i right in thinking that was on the brilliant paying job McGovern had all planned out ( :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: )and only lasted 1 trip doing Spain?

The rock i own up to hitting, car was nowt to do with me was the other daf, yep doing well on getting home second weekend in a row, dropped the trailer i loaded at Barrow in Harwich picking another trailer up Sunday to tip Peterborough monday, then prob go back to harwich pick up the Barrow trailer load some more on it and start tipping it in Holland, tho knowing dhl that could all change come monday.
Steve

realy great pictures!