Some advice for a newbie needed

Hi guys, firstly let me introduce myself, im Lee and live in north yorkshire. Currently driving 8 wheelers and have been for a few years. i got my C+E about 3 years ago but have yet to use it.
Ive managed to find myself a pretty decent company who have offered me an artic position with 3 nights out per week. bearing in mind my lack of artic experience im over the moon that they have decided to put some trust in me and offer me the job.
Im looking for some advice and obviously this seemed the place to come, Im in my 20’s and have an 18month old son, Nights out dont bother me as ive done a few in the rigids before, but since my son was born i havn’t been away. The wages are good, id be £100 per week better off and as ive just taken out a mortgage its all welcome! But from some of you guys who will of been there and done it whilst having young children, i ask, is the extra money going to be worth the sacrifice of not seeing as much of him? Im desperate to be driving artics as its always been my ambition (for some reason!) but the money seems to good to turn down.
Be good to hear from some of you who have been in the same boat and done it.
Look forward to hearing from you
:smiley:

i dont drive lgvs and i dont have children, but for what its worth i think if you want to do it then go for it, so you’ll never have the “what if’s”. but i think this is a personal choice, could you handle not seeing your son, likewise, would you want him to grow up with you away so much?

money doesnt make the world go round, its only a lube!

ive only been driving 5 months on c+e 4/5 nights out, its hard as ive got 2 young kids,3 nights out is ok but will they extend it…
im packing mine in to do agency, wages arnt good tho,

It’s all down to how you deal with it in your head. Ask yourself, can I afford not to do it? Can I be away from the family for that amount of time? Is er indoors going to put up with it? Don’t forget, you still have to put grub on the table and all the things that kids want nowadays seem to cost a fortune. I’ve been doing it for close on 20 years now and to be honest, with 5 kids the only reason i’m still sane is cos i’ve had at least 3 nights out a week. If the kids ever complained about me not being there, I would remind them of it every time I heard “Daaaad, can I borrow…” Talk to your other half, explain to her how its going to be if you take the job and give it a try. If you don’t go, you’ll never know!

Im a mother and have always had to work to pay bills food on table etc thats the way it is now most people dont have a choice !!

U say is 3 nights out a week well that leaves the other 4 nights to be there with the kids , my dad did nights away as atruck driver when I was small to be honest I dont ever remember him not being there , my dad spent time with us when he was at home and by the time I was a teenager I think he was glad to get away :wink:

He brought me up to respect others and with a good work ethic I learnt all the lessons that a father should teach his kids and dont ever remember missing him , what im trying to say is you do what you gotta do to give your kids the best they will know that you love them honest !!! you sound like a lovely dad good luck

jen x