Newbie intro and looking for some advice

Hey all,
Im Scott. My current job in the electronics industry is under fire and im gonna be unemployed withing 6-9 months. Ive decided to go for my class 2 and try to build up some experience part time between now and my place closing. I live in the Livingston/West Lothian area and im looking for some advice on a couple of things.
Training. Does anyone have any reccomendations for training companys in the area. Having looked through the web and yellow pages etc ive found there is quite a lot so just wondered if anyone had any exp/advice to share?
Working. I currently work 12 hr nightshift 4 on 4 off then 3 on 3 off. I would basically be available to work thu, fri every week and every 2nd saturday. Im not 100% sure how this ties in with the WTD. Are angencies ok with just giving them certain days your available?
Also does anyone know of any decent angencies around the area? If found driver hire in grangemouth and NAS in Livingston so far. I have a 7.5 tonne entitlement on my licence and was actually cinsidering seeing if i could get any part time work with that just to see how i take to it before heading the hgv route but wasnt really sure what the availability of such work would be.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Scott

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome scottie21uk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

If you click the link in my signature it will lead you to an index where you can access a lot of info which may be of use to you :smiley: :smiley:

GENERAL DRIVING TIPS BEFORE STARTING LGV C TRAINING

A number of LGV instructors, myself included, are finding that the general driving standard of many trainees coming to do their LGV ‘C’ course is not at a very high standard.
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.
For the trainee this means wasted time on the course and that means that the trainee is paying good money to be taught how to drive again :exclamation:

There are a number of things that a driver can do before starting their first LGV training course to improve their general driving.

The obvious ones are to practise the DSA procedures, which could mean losing the rear view mirror, and then, every time to set off, doing the mirror, mirror, blind spot routine. Checking BOTH side mirrors before moving within the lane you are in, signalling or before the increasing & decreasing of your speed.

The less obvious is to practise forward planning — the THINKING bit.

A good way of doing this is to use your brakes a lot less than what you do at present — sounds daft but think about it — to use the brakes less then you will have to ease off earlier — to ease off earlier you will have to plan ahead more.
I don’t mean by changing down through the gearbox either as that will waste fuel.
A good example would be when approaching a queue of standing traffic, which is waiting for traffic lights to change or waiting to enter a roundabout.
The moment you see the queue, check mirrors and ease off in the gear you are in. let the vehicle slow down on it’s own, dipping the clutch as necessary to control any possible stalling. If the vehicle gets to the lowest gear speed (usually first gear) then engage that gear.
If, whilst easing off, you anticipate that the traffic is going to proceed, then engage the gear that will take you with them without rushing up to the rear of the queue.
You will be leaving a large area of tarmac in front of your vehicle when you ease off early. If another vehicle goes into the gap then re-adjust to accommodate it. If you curse at the vehicle that went into your forward space then decide if a few feet of tarmac is worth getting stressed over!!

When following other traffic, do you touch your brakes when they touch theirs? — If yes, then you are too close. Back off so that you can ease off without the use of brakes. Again, this requires a good deal of forward planning, which will be very useful when you drive a truck.

The general idea is to never stop but to keep moving forward even if at a very slow pace.

If you have to use the brakes then plan to use them gradually. Start by taking up the play of the pedal then resting the weight of your foot & leg on the pedal. That is then followed by squeezing down onto the pedal and squeeze down to a depth that will do the job during the middle of your braking so that you can ease off the pedal well before you actually need to come to a stop.

scottie21uk:
Training. Does anyone have any reccomendations for training companys in the area. Having looked through the web and yellow pages etc ive found there is quite a lot so just wondered if anyone had any exp/advice to share?

Welcome Scott. If you ahve the names of the training companies, i’d advise searching them on this site and see what people have already said…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/search.php :wink:

Good luck

scottie21uk:

By using the ‘Search’ facility at the top of this page, you may get plenty of info on the above - try putting in something like LGV AND TRAINING AND EAST LOTHIAN (or wherever you happen to be) - might get some hits on that :slight_smile:
If not, don’t worry, there are plenty on here who have trained around your area recently and I’m sure they will be along soon - keep an eye on this thread :smiley:

scottie21uk:
Working. I currently work 12 hr nightshift 4 on 4 off then 3 on 3 off. I would basically be available to work thu, fri every week and every 2nd saturday. Im not 100% sure how this ties in with the WTD. Are angencies ok with just giving them certain days your available?

The EU LGV regs run from Sunday Midnight to Sunday Midnight.
If you come under those regs at any time during that week then they come into force for the whole week. Any ‘other work’ you do in that week must be put onto a tacho chart or downloaded into a digi tacho and it must have your name, date, start & finish time of each shift on it with a seperate chart for each day.
Most people doing a Mon to Fri ‘other work’ job can only drive for one day every other weekend as they can reduce the 45 hour rest period for one week and then they make it up the next.
The is a member called tachograph who can explain this much better than me and if you ask about this in the SAFETY, LAW AND WTD forum then I’m sure he will help you with your particular situation :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

scottie21uk:
Also does anyone know of any decent angencies around the area? If found driver hire in grangemouth and NAS in Livingston so far. I have a 7.5 tonne entitlement on my licence and was actually cinsidering seeing if i could get any part time work with that just to see how i take to it before heading the hgv route but wasnt really sure what the availability of such work would be.

Driver hire have a good rep for taking on and helping newly qualified drivers but seem to pay a little less than others according to posts I have sen on this site
7.5 tonner work is a GREAT idea if you can get some but you will come under those EU regs.

scottie21uk:

Welcome to TruckNet Scott :smiley:

I doubt it’s the WTD that’s going to be a problem, more likely the drivers hours regulations.

Can’t really say for definite how it would fit in with your present job without knowing when you work, but when you’re on 4 nights on then 4 nights off, I wouldn’t have thought you would have much problem doing two nights on driving, you may be able to legally do two days and still have the required weekly rest, but without knowing the hours you work it’s difficult to say for certain.

The important thing to remember is that as ROG said, you will need to fill in a tachograph chart for each days work in your normal job, so you can show that you’ve complied with the rest regulations, if you try going from nights to days you could have problems doing more than one day a week but as I say it’s difficult to be precise without knowing what your normal hours of work are.

Good luck with the training, and let us all know how it goes :wink:

Welcome to trucknet scottie21uk. I took both my class 1 and 2 at Livi test centre. For class 2 I went with Lagta, and for class 1 it was Scania out at Newbridge. Would highly recommend both.

Also check out ila scotland website (cant remember the address, just google them) as you can get a couple of hundred quid off training costs. Well I did anyway :sunglasses:

Good luck with training, keep us all posted.

Paul

Scottie, sorry forgot to add that NAS are a decent outfit. I was with them at the start of the year, might be back again soon. Plenty work going and you can pick and choose your hours basically.

Cant comment on DH Grangemouth, but was with the Perth/Dundee branch for a bit - appalling wages…£6.00 for 7.5t. Bear in mind that DH are franchised so wages may vary. However I would recommend NAS and get registered asap. Bonus points being:

1. More cash for yourself :laughing:
  2. Possibility of another job (seeing as your soon to be redundant, happened to me in April :cry: )
  3. Chance to build up a good reputation with the agency, so when you do pass your class 2,they wont have any problems putting you straight in.

All the best,

Paul.

Cheers Paul. Good advice there. I will check out both those training firms. Id had a look at LAGTA before so will prob go with them. Going on holiday in a week and a bit so gonna wait till i return before getting organised.
I’ll also give NAS acall and see what kinda 7.5t work they can offer…I also heard good things about them from a woman i work with whos husband has been working for them for some time.
Tachograph… my hours are 8pm-8am
start saturaday night and finish wed morning 1st week
start sun night finish wed morning the next.

It just keeps cycling like that. As i say im gonna be there another 6 months yet so would be good to know exactly what im available to do each week.

Thanks again guys will keep you posted on developments.

Scott

PM sent scottie21uk :smiley:

ROG:
I have had a number who ‘THINK’ they are good but find myself having to go ‘BACK TO BASICS’ before they can really start learning how to handle a truck.

ROG, surely not. :wink: :unamused: :unamused:

The others are the ones that simply haven’t bothered to even read the Highway Code before commencing a course. And then there are those who comment that, “I know I’ve got some bad habits but…”.

If a trainee is already aware that there are gaps in their knowledge base, then they are simply unwise to shell out for a course of finite duration prior to addressing those defecits.

And how can that be done? One way is to book an hour or so with an ADI. Alright, you don’t want to look bloody stupid by having one turn up to the house, :blush: but a clandestine ‘liaison’ could always be arranged at the back of some shops somewhere. :sunglasses: Dark glasses and a hat pulled low being the preferred attire. :smiley:

Alternatively, at the top of the forum HERE is a link to purchase a DVD on the subject of driving.

Remember the six P’s.

Proper Planning Prevents ■■■■ Poor Performance

hi scott

welcome to trucknet. I am in pretty much the same boat as you with the job, still working at my non driving job just now, but for how long I don’t know.

I did my test with CTTS in Bathgate and they were really good, I think they have three Cat C trucks now, 2 Scanias and a Renault.

I have done a bit of work for NAS also, they seem really good and the last few weeks it’s been more a case of me not being able to work than them not having any work, as my wife has just returned to weekend working following maternity leave.

think you should be ok though, you’ll probably get more work on your Thursdays and Fridays as the weekend Cat C work seems a bit more scarce.

Your 7.5 tonne idea sounds good, as I must admit I struggled to go from a car to the size of the 18 tonne truck. saying that what would i have be like untrained in a 7.5 tonner :open_mouth:

Another thing I found was I had 20 :blush: years of bad habits as a car driver so if you know anyone that’s an advanced driver or car driving instructor it might be an idea to go out with them to fix these. :question:

good luck

kiw

kiw:
Another thing I found was I had 20 :blush: years of bad habits as a car driver so if you know anyone that’s an advanced driver or car driving instructor it might be an idea to go out with them to fix these. :question:

An advanced course including test would probably be in the region of £100 plus your time and fuel.
It takes about 6 months (AVERAGE) to do the course and test as it is done at the individual drivers’ pace.
It will get rid of the bad habits as well as vastly improving your observation, forward planning & positioning skills, all of which are essential for truck driving.
The ‘Roadcraft’ system (IPSGA) used for advanced driving can be used for the DSA test. The DSA procedures just have to be added.
I’ve had 2 trainees who did their advanced test before starting LGV training and they found the training a lot easier. They also had the advantage of experiencing 90 minutes driving under test conditions, this was an examiner with a traffic police class 1 driving certificate holder and not the DSA.
IMO, the traffic police examiner is MUCH more attentive than the DSA examiner. I do find both to be good at putting testers at ease though. but then I would as I am weird - I LIKE DRIVING TESTS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: