Snow Chains.

So with all this snow and ice that we’ve got at the mo, it’s making my job kinda difficult. Basically i collect and deliver straw from and to farms. We’re having real problems accessing about 90% of them, some of the roads in are like polished glass and my truck (daf cf85 6x2) just won’t go up them, tonight we tried to push the truck up a track and even the tractor couldn’t get a grip. It’s not too bad when loaded or if i can get a partial load over the drive axle to get a bit of traction but that isn’t always possible.
So i reckon a set of snow chains might be the ticket, my question is (or questions i spose) do we get just one pair for the drive wheels or do you need them on the steering axle as well?
Are they difficult to get on and off?
And does anybody know of a good supplier and have details? I’m based in the scottish borders .

There are several suppliers listed on Google but I don’t think they are legal in the UK.

They will only work if the other vehicles blocking the road have them anyway. :bulb:

When you’ve put a set on I bet you would never think they were a good idea again :open_mouth: AFAIK they’re illegal in the UK anyway.

There’s a new method anyway, it’s a kind of sock that fits over the tyres, much easier to put on & store etc, they’re allowed by law in the Colarado Rockies after extensive testing & believe me they get a lot of snow over there, they may also be legal in the UK (or not illegal anyway) I don’t know what they’re called but i’m sure google will know :wink:

My own opinion for what it’s worth is this, if you need towing or chains to get moving, you shouldn’t be moving, different if you’re stuck half way up a mountain & need to get to a place of safety, but just to do your job, no way, it’s time to park it up mate :astonished:

Wheel Nut:
There are several suppliers listed on Google but I don’t think they are legal in the UK.

They will only work if the other vehicles blocking the road have them anyway. :bulb:

my local council must be breaking the law then cause the big plough been out and had the snowchains on the drive axles

scotstrucker:

Wheel Nut:

my local council must be breaking the law then cause the big plough been out and had the snowchains on the drive axles

But they are the ones who fill in the potholes afterwards, occasionally. I still think they are illegal, but wouldn’t use them anyway, but the answer to the question would be the drive axle and a trailer axle

scotstrucker:

Wheel Nut:

i used to sell snowchains at my previous employer. i dont think theyre illegal in the uk, but its rare that you need to use them (well for most people)

We are using them on some of our 6 wheeler and drag timber trucks at the moment .

They have dropped their trailers and are running the logs out the forest to bits they can load the artics.
Forest roads are like the farm roads you describe …sheet ice :open_mouth:

Dont know about the legality as thisis of road use only.
The chains are giving plenty grip ,but the guys are sayin as they dont have sets on the stear axle its hard going.

If you are goin to use them you would be better wih a set on the front as well :wink: .

used to use snow chains with the raf when stationed in the shetlands. afaik there use is legal in the uk. they sell em at halfords if you want them for your car.

I was just reading some of the sites who sell them and the only warning seems to be that they shred tyres when running on tarmac, but are fine on packed snow or ice. That is the problem, putting them on and taking them off.

So they are probably UK legal, just a pain in the arse. I know the Timberjack driver had them on when he was bringing us round timber out of the forest in 1989

Brit Pete always advises people to make sure they have snow chains, but as Simon and I and a few others posted we have never used them, even in Eastern Europe.

Well the transport minister seems to think they are legal

Mr Hoon, who has come under fire himself for failing to ensure there was enough grit on the roads, insisted motorists were ill-prepared for the conditions and suggested they fork out £54 on snow chains to ensure their tyres could grip.

He demanded: ‘Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasn’t done?

‘If you live in the Alps you have snow chains in the back of your car. So why have none of you intelligent, capable people got chains?’

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article … z0bj2dLmbN

snow-chains.co.uk/product.as … deptid=295

snowchains.co.uk/main/index_ … chains.htm

You only need them on the drive axle, steering axle is overkill I would say unless it’s very bad, they are primarily used so you can get traction and actualy move, the steering is secondary. I’ve just bought some but not had the opportunity to test them yet. I’ve just bought a set for the outer drive axle wheels as you can get the double kind (that goes over both wheels on either side) but I would say they look harder to fit. The ones nowadays seem simpler to fit. I will probably only use them if stuck or it’s proper packed snow/ice. They only pain in the bum is you may need them for side road/ind estates and then have to take them off once you get to the motorway and on again once you leave but better than getting stuck!!! I agree that unless you are an owner driver or work for small, decent family firm, just refuse to go out if it’s bad enough to need snow chains anyway.

Silver_Surfer:
I’ve just bought a set for the outer drive axle wheels as you can get the double kind (that goes over both wheels on either side) but I would say they look harder to fit.

Those double tyre chains can also rip off airbags if drive axle has air suspension (at least on some makes if not all). With single tyre chains on drive axle there isn’t possibility for that.

For crickrichard, if you haven’t had much of steering problems I’d say you are fine having set only on drive axle. In case of steering problems fitting one chain on front axle is often enough. On some cases you might only need difflock and one chain on drive axle. Chains aren’t difficult to get on, but it may take some time to learn how to do it fast. Some people have said it doesn’t take much more than 5 minutes per chain to equip them after you’re familiar with them, but I can’t say how accurate that claim is.

I’ve just looked at the set for my car and it looks harder than a rubix cube… But am sure with a bit of practice will be a doddle, half the battle seems to be keeping them from getting tangled up into themselves.

These are in the truck, just hope i don,t need them.

Cold wet and dirty job fitting them usually in a blizzard in the dark with the truck covered in snow and ice,
I have taken up to a hour getting them fitted in bad conditions, its best to fit them on the dry before you need them as on the passes in Italy where special laybys are for the purpose of fitting chains.
If anyones interested the way i fit them is ,mudwing tops off , sort the chain out on the ground to make sure its not twisted, then throw the hooks end over the tyre facing forward hooks just clear of the ground, with the tentioners on the outside, lay the left over chain to the rear spread out, drive forward slowly until the rings are about a foot off the ground, connect the hooks into the rings, join the tensioners and tention , drive 50 mts then check and tention again, off you go magic on snow 50km, but clear roads soon do damage to the links. :confused:
Some drivers back over them.

Also they are handy to throw under the tyres to get off a patch of ice or snow but fasten a load strap onto them to save a long walk to pick them up, :wink:

You don’t need snow chains, you need snow curtains, if it’s that bad would it not be best park up, rather than risk sticking it in a ditch or worse :blush:
If the farmers need the stuff would it not be better for them to come down to the main road to meet you, the kit they have is better suited to conditions than any truck usually running on “highway” tyres :wink:

Howatsi the type you are talking about

you need snow curtains,

:smiley: are known as swish type :smiley: mine are Austrian type.

Thanks for all the tips guys, very useful. My boss ordered a set for me today and the way the weather is it shouldn’t take long before i get to try them! Silver surfer mentioned working for a small firm and going a little bit further for them. My boss only runs two trucks and this snow and ice has affected his business already so i’m more than ready to work a bit harder for them than if i was working for Loadsa-Trucks ltd. It’s a good job and i will do my best for them. Don’t get me wrong, i’ll not endanger anybody or anything in the process, i’m not planning on driving for miles up the side of snow covered mountains or anything daft, just wanna do a good job.
Plus, it’s all good for business if i can reach the customers.
It’s a good point about some of the farmers bringing the straw down to the nearest road, indeed some will, but unfortunately not always possible with respect to time, space etc.
Any how, i’ll let you all know how it all goes when i first use them, fingers crossed! :smiley: