Snow chains

Where is the best places to get snow chains from in the uk.

try here pal

snow-chains.co.uk/products.a … IGDFICFLCL

why does this question always get asked as soon as the latest season of ice road truckers starts :laughing: :wink:

Study carefully before buying. I seem to remember that when we (here at TN) looked into this subject last winter, it came to light that some types were much easier to fit than others.

Hi all.Ithink Pewag are one of the most popular brands and are very quick and easy to fit.Remember,it’s worth paying for a good set if you are going to use them[not just hanging on hooks for posing] :wink: as they may take a lot of punishment if you are doing any distance with them on.Also ask,when you buy them if they have some '‘quick repair’'links so if you break a chain driving you can ‘‘quick fix’’ them to continue.
Also remember,if you are going to Norway you will have to have 7 ICE chains, :open_mouth: these you can perhaps better buy in Norway,any tyre center has chains but the further north,the more expensive. :frowning:
Whave just had more than 20cms of snow round Kiruna area so the winter has started. :smiley: Take care Mike

Ive always been of the attitude that chains are just to get you out of the ■■■■. A lot of motorways you are not allowed to use them so its then a case of park up till it clears. A couple of years back Italy had bad snow and all the trucks were parked up on the hard shoulder (snowchains or not) for about 18 hours. Ended up weekended out because of it.

I wouldn’t bother in the uk mate there will be some idiot stuck infront of you anyway :smiley:

waiting being the operative word. we were meant to get snow up here at the weekend. didnt happen to my knowledge. its supposedly going to drop to -20 celcius by the end of this month. i have now heard that we are facing a mini-ice age this year. the coldest in the uk for 300 years.

i suspect the term “mini ice age” is a little dramatic considering an ice age last 1000s of years. a few months of even a record cold winter just doesnt seem comparitively justified in using that term when we all know its only a few months of not necessarily consistent arctic conditions

hutpik:
Hi all.Ithink Pewag are one of the most popular brands and are very quick and easy to fit.Remember,it’s worth paying for a good set if you are going to use them[not just hanging on hooks for posing] :wink: as they may take a lot of punishment if you are doing any distance with them on.Also ask,when you buy them if they have some '‘quick repair’'links so if you break a chain driving you can ‘‘quick fix’’ them to continue.
Also remember,if you are going to Norway you will have to have 7 ICE chains, :open_mouth: these you can perhaps better buy in Norway,any tyre center has chains but the further north,the more expensive. :frowning:
Whave just had more than 20cms of snow round Kiruna area so the winter has started. :smiley: Take care Mike

Blimey Mike, it’s only just started getting frosty at night here in the past week, although I’ve been down in Alabama and it was still over 30c down there :sunglasses:

I had a look on a weather website today and we’re expected to have a lot of snow again this winter, that’s a lot compared to a normal Canadian/North American winter, so when they say a lot of snow they really mean it :cry:

I hope to complete the season without getting my chains out of the side locker again, I used the magic button last winter when the chain up laws were in effect, the one that’s labelled ‘Parking Brake’ :sunglasses: :laughing:

bullitt:
If you do get some then practice, practice, practice putting them on. :smiley:

Get a head torch and then get out there at 3am and put them on, no street lights to help you see by as that’s cheating! :wink:

When you have to do it for real to get out of trouble your fingers will be burning, you will be freezing and then after lots of cursing and swearing you may well find you have them on inside out!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

To be honest, after you get the knack of putting them on theyre not to bad. The trouble comes when sometimes, you spend 10 - 20 mins putting them, drive a mile or so, get out and re-tighten the chains taking up the slack, then drive another few miles and the snow conditions improve or sometimes it disappears all together!! Then its time to get out and take the (zb)ers off and stow them away…only to do another few miles then find you have to put them back on again!! :laughing: :laughing:

To be honest I can understand when some say it`s “time to park up and pull the curtains” but how long for■■? I would rather try and give it a go with the chains on than sit on my backside doing nothing waiting for the weather to change!! :wink:

Hi mate i have used snow chain before at the last company that i worked for but thanks for the tip

Hi NMM.I know it sounds early but you have to remember i live 30kms north of the arctic circle and Kiruna is about 200kms north of it.It was a bit of a surprise to me when i came up here just how far north it is in Latitude.If you look at a map of Canada and see that the arctic circle is more than 1000kms north of Steinbach it makes you wonder.Having lived in Quebec and seen [and measured]7ft of snow you think that you really can’t get any worse than that.Ok Canada has areas with REALLY deep snow but when you get further north it just stays bloody cold but not so much snow.[ok min 55c in Manitoba]is a bit fresh.
Up here we don’t usually get much more than 2mtrs of snow but the temp doesn’t go much below min 40c very often. :wink: Keep praying for warm weather[or loads south],in the meantime hunt out the woolies.Take care.Mike

That sounds pretty hard living up there Mike, but then Father Xmas does get to you first, so it ain’t all bad :laughing:

Northern boy:
Where is the best places to get snow chains from in the uk.

Pewag

Hi NMM.As you say he lives up here.The official Santa Claus village is about 200kms from here in Rovaniemi Finland.I have the impression that he ain’t so keen on me as he seems to forget me all the time. :frowning: Last xmas i left a bottle of whisky out for the old boy along with some cookies.Me neighbour nicked the whisky and some ■■■■■ reindeer had the cookies away so i still got sod all. :wink:
It’s not so bad living up here.The money is good and you have a lot of free time to spend it on so many outdoor things to do[summer and winter].One of the best things is the lack of people and stress,everyone knows everyone so you always meet someone who knows you '‘Oh your the English guy who lives in KattÃ¥n.’'Plus with being so few people its easy to find a helping hand for things. :smiley:
You have to worry less about crime,if something happens everyone knows about it almost before it happens.
Last winter some of our ‘‘eastern brethren’’ were caught taking diesel out of a tractor,they just beat the ■■■■ out of them,then left them tied to a tree in the forest where they almost caught hypothermia. :laughing: Mike

hutpik:
Last winter some of our ‘‘eastern brethren’’ were caught taking diesel out of a tractor,they just beat the [zb] out of them,then left them tied to a tree in the forest where they almost caught hypothermia. :laughing: Mike

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There is one thing in Europe, although there are laws to say you must carry snowchains, there is no law that requires you to fit them :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
There is one thing in Europe, although there are laws to say you must carry snowchains, there is no law that requires you to fit them :laughing:

That’s the same here, you get warning lights flashing when it’s chain up time, for me that means find the nearest place with decent facilities and park it until the snow plows have done their thing :sunglasses: